PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andyt8 wrote: »
    Just happened to come across this program on ITV 4pm to 5pm. They visit 4 bakeries and part of the challenge was bread making. Also sausage rolls and cakes. You see some big mixers (same planetary action as Kenwoods) being used as well as hand kneading. Its a competition and on most nights it seems.

Edit} also seems available on ITV Player

Thanks for that - I'm just watching the first episode. I had to laugh though - when they were setting up their final apple cakes for judging at Longleat, and the little boy is busy brushing crumbs from the table all over the Earl of Bath's carpet :rotfl:
  • andyt8
    andyt8 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the model currently on sale at Currys for £179 the best value deal that's around at the moment? My parents have asked what I'd like for Christmas and this was the only thing I can think of. They said they'd be delighted to get me one as I'd get so much use out of it. So..... I'm not sure which one to ask for!

Yes by far the best value. You get the liquidiser included, and the premier version is all cast aluminium (like original ones were) rather than using plastic for the top parts of the body. Oh plus the flexible beater which includes in the packet that spanner they mention for adjusting any of the bowl attachments.
  • Rossy2692
    Rossy2692 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just done a starter for my ciabatta rolls tomorrow! Eek! Am on a roll! :D
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rossy2692 wrote: »
    Ooooo do you have a recipe? :)
    Easy peasy.

500g mince
    2 sausages
    1 onion finely chopped
    3 tbs breadcrumbs (I used the parmesan and rosemary ones I made last week)
    herbs/seasoning, whatever you fancy
    1 egg

Whack the mince in your baby, squeeze the sausage meat out into the bowl, add the breadcrumbs, onion and seasoning, mix until evenly blended, gradually add the egg, but not too much, just enough to make it moist, not sloppy (I usually end up using 3/4)

Once thoroughly mixed roll into balls and the roll lightly in flour (makes about 20 balls).

For the sauce
    500ml passata/1 tin chopped toms
    1 tube tomato puree, or less if you don't like it too rich
    2 onions
    5 mushrooms
    1-2 tsp parprika
    1-2 cloves garlic

Put the passata and puree in a large saucepan. Fry the onions, garlic and mushrooms until golden, add the onions and mushrooms to the tomato, bring to the boil then simmer gently, the longer the better, I usually leave mine for an hour min.

Once sauce has simmered fry the balls to brown on all sides then gently place in the tomato sauce, continue to simmer for 20-30 mins. Serve with linguine or any other pasta.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Rossy2692
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for that!! :)

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    Rossy2692 wrote: »
    Sure!!! :D

400ml warm water
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp dried instant yeast (I use Allinsons, the one in the little yellow tin)

Combine above until milky and frothy (I leave it for 10 minutes)

In my Kenwood bowl:

1tsp sea salt
    200g strong wholemeal bread flour
    400g strong white flour (both flours are Tesco own brand)

Add yeast to flour with mixer on 1 til it starts to combine, then after about 5 mins crank up through the speeds, i go no higher than 4. I stop when the dough looks smooth and silky, about 6 minutes.

Leave to double in size, about a hour, longer than a hour seems to improve the loaf. I do the 1st prove in the bowl.

Knock dough down and i pressed it out flat with my hands then rolled up like a sausage and placed in tin and gently pressed it into fit tin. Slash the top

\leave to double in size, i left this for just over a hour the second prove.

preheat oven to 220 degrees.

I have a fan oven and i drop the shelp down to the one below middle. Put loaf in with a mug of water chucked into bottom of oven.

I put my loaf in for an initial 26 minutes then i place foil ontop then leave for another 5.

This is exactly what i did and i am extremeley happy with todays loaf :)

Wow! Thanks Rossy. Going to try this at the weekend. :)
  • Rossy2692
    Options
    Wow! Thanks Rossy. Going to try this at the weekend. :)

No probs! Hope you are happy with the results! One thing i am learning about this bread journey is it cannot be rushed, patience is the key :)

• Rossy2692
    Options
    Well! Started my ciabatta journey last night with the starter and finally finished today, what a journey!

Having never had any experiance of this bread it was Youtube that aided me lol.

The result was not quite the traditional holey ciabatta i had hoped for but nontheless it was a soft, inside crispy outside lovely bread!

Will use these tonight with spicy chicken sandwiches :D

• Rossy2692
    Options
    Got a sourdough loaf on its first prove, am using the Fabulous Baker Brothers recipe :)

• lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    yay i finally can join in this thread after winning a kenwood on ebay. Just wanted to pop in and say hi, as i'm sure i'll be back looking for tips once i've got it setup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure