IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Motorway services parking demand legal Help!

Replies

• Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Where it can be argued that the land-owner has suffered a small loss of whatever the daily rate for that car-park for over 2 hour parking is, but it's only the landowner whom can sue for losses (which will be around £7) and not a 3rd party.

Ignore CP Plus, they soon disappear and leave you alone
  • mr_tumnus wrote: »
    Hello

My friend got a letter with photographs of her entering and leaving, with a fine of £50. I got nothing, except a little smug.

For the love of God don't tell us your daft friend just paid this scam?! :eek:
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • dw85dw85 Forumite
    179 Posts
    mr_tumnus wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks ever so much for your response. I really do appreciate it.

Yes it is indeed CP Plus. No upon futher examination, it doesn't say "fine". But it does say "Operating in accordance with the British Parking Association's Code of Practice". What does that mean?

Ignoring it sounds good, but please forgive my ignorance. Under what law can I ignore it? Is it not the same as ignoring some other penalty hoping it will go away? The equivilant of burying my head in the preverbial sand? I need to be absolutelty sure before I proceed as I have a family to feed.

Should I at least tell them of my intention not to pay?

Do they not inform any of the credit reference agencies once it "goes to their legal department?

With gratitide.

With respect, please do yourself a favour and read some threads, he sticky ones at the top of the parking boards page. Most of the threads follow a similar vein.
    These letters are designed to SCARE but are worded to stay just the right side of the law. Still doesn't mean they can do anything. The other posters have told you this but I really suggest you read the threads and have a view of the Watchdog clip....then put the letter somewhere you can forget about it :D
    Change is inevitable...nothing stays the same forever
    :beer:
  • edited 1 October 2012 at 4:15PM
    w211w211 Forumite
    700 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 1 October 2012 at 4:15PM
    Overstayed at motorway services, and had 3 letters from CP Plus, and a further 3 from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. Last letter was sent six months ago, and have heard nothing since.
  • bazsterbazster Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The question is not "under what law can I ignore it?", the question is "under what law can they demand it?".

If you get an email from a Nigerian scammer do you ask "under what law can I ignore it?" Well you just got a letter from a British scammer, that's the only difference.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Right. So its decided. Im going to ignore them. Lets just hope its the correct decision .
    its seems pretty unanimous. Thanks for your comments and help. I hope the road ahead isnt too bumpy. We'll see what happens.

Lots of love Day
  • mr_tumnus wrote: »
    Right. So its decided. Im going to ignore them. Lets just hope its the correct decision .
    its seems pretty unanimous. Thanks for your comments and help. I hope the road ahead isnt too bumpy. We'll see what happens.

Lots of love Day

What will happen is you will get a chain of letters asking for money.
    First from the PPC, then from a debt recovery agency, then a solicitor, then nothing.

Most of the regulars on here have been there so you can continue to ignore it. FYI, when I got mine I did a search for Excel Parking, soon found this forum and spent the next few days reading the stickies and threads. It was a complete eye opener as to how the scam works and I am so glad I need a bit of investigating and not just stump up the cash like a mug. :rotfl: 6 letters in total, each more threatening than the last. So in a few months when you stop getting the letters, come back on here, thank the regulars for their support and spread the word.
    PPC = SCUM
  • "For a small fee of say £5 to buy me some chocolate, i will declare myself as the named driver of the car. I shall use my wings of steel to deflect the threat letters to the filing vault"

I don't think fake tickets are transferable!:)
    PPC = SCUM
  • devonladdevonlad Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "For a small fee of say £5 to buy me some chocolate, i will declare myself as the named driver of the car. I shall use my wings of steel to deflect the threat letters to the filing vault"

batfink2_zps039b0b6b.jpg
    The word about the scammers is spreading like marmite here in the westcountry.
    We workers all love it and the ppc hate it :rotfl:
  • Just got a parking charge notice from these lot for parking at the local hospitral eye infirmary for an emergency..........................what do i do.....???? Obviously i don't want to pay anything and i intend not doing so. But is it worthsending them an email stating:
    That it is private land and is therefore contract law.
    i wasn't the driver and therefore didnt enter into a contract with them.
    The charge on the parking charge notice does not reasonably account for less than an hours parking.
    I am under no obligation as the registered keeper to supply the driver details.
    Also intention to complain to nhs trust as regards this behaviour.
    Any thoughts.......pls:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals