IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Motorway services parking demand legal Help!

Hello
I'm hoping some one can help me.
I overstayed at a motorway service station by about an hour, as did my friend.

My friend got a letter with photographs of her entering and leaving, with a fine of £50. I got nothing, except a little smug.

Today a letter arivved saying i've ignored the 2 previous reminders, and I have a fine of £130!

What can I do to fight this? I no really mind paying the £50, as I did indeed over stay my welcome, but I really object to paying £130 for what is really, a clerical error.

I honestly did not receive anything at all from them until this demand today. It says if I don't cough up, then they'll take me to court and ruin my credit rating (which is perfect - still smug)

It was not sent recorded delivery, so I assume the others wern't either.

Any legal help or advice on this would be very much appreciated, as I sure im not the only one to suffer this.

Many thanks in advance.

Mr Tumnus

Replies

• You can safely ignore these invoices

Nothing will happen despite all the serious sounding letters

Who sent it?
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • Legal help ?

I assume this was sent by CP Plus yes ? Well the fact is that they are a private parking company, and legally they cannot fine you or issue penalties. This is just an invoice inviting mugs to pay money to them. Please don't be a mug and fall for this fake parking ticket.

They will not issue any court claim, it will not effect your credit rating. To do that it must go to court, you lose and then refuse to pay the judgement . Put this way in 2011 CP Plus never went to court once despite the threats to do so. The advice is to ignore them .
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are so happy to pay £50 you can send it to me, then you can still ignore them and be content you've paid someone.:rotfl:
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Your letter doesn't say you have been 'fined', does it?
  • chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can we have a 'DON'T PAY' sticky?
  • Hi

Thanks ever so much for your response. I really do appreciate it.

Yes it is indeed CP Plus. No upon futher examination, it doesn't say "fine". But it does say "Operating in accordance with the British Parking Association's Code of Practice". What does that mean?

Ignoring it sounds good, but please forgive my ignorance. Under what law can I ignore it? Is it not the same as ignoring some other penalty hoping it will go away? The equivilant of burying my head in the preverbial sand? I need to be absolutelty sure before I proceed as I have a family to feed.

Should I at least tell them of my intention not to pay?

Do they not inform any of the credit reference agencies once it "goes to their legal department?

With gratitide.
  • mr_tumnus wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks ever so much for your response. I really do appreciate it.

Yes it is indeed CP Plus. No upon futher examination, it doesn't say "fine". But it does say "Operating in accordance with the British Parking Association's Code of Practice". What does that mean?

Ignoring it sounds good, but please forgive my ignorance. Under what law can I ignore it? Is it not the same as ignoring some other penalty hoping it will go away? The equivilant of burying my head in the preverbial sand? I need to be absolutelty sure before I proceed as I have a family to feed.

Should I at least tell them of my intention not to pay?

Do they not inform any of the credit reference agencies once it "goes to their legal department?

With gratitide.
    You have not been fined, your overstay was in a free car park so you legaly owe them nothing. It is not a penalty, all you have recieved is a few words on a piece of paper asking you to give them some money for a breach of a contract that they say you have breached. What they do not tell you is that all they can legaly claim from a breach of contract is actual losses. It was a free car park, they lost nothing ! certainly not £130 that they claim. Have a read round this forum , you will soon get the idea of the scam that is Private Parking Invoices.
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mr_tumnus wrote: »
    Hi

It doesn't work that way. For your credit record to be damaged the case would have to go to court, you lose and THEN you fail to pay whatever the judge orders within 28 days. As this will not go anywhere near court you have nothing to worry about.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Mr Tumnus,

I have ignored many rude letters from CP Plus demanding I send them money. Nothing happens apart from a few more rude letters.

Do as I and many others do, ignore the scamming shysters!
  • Under what law you can ignore ? Tell you what sit down for an hour to educate yourself to the scam that is private parking. Don't believe us as we are anonymous people on a forum, but would you believe the BBC, Watchdog and Ann Robinson ?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3164256
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals