IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Can they register a claim anywhere?

Options
merleydave
merleydave Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 29 September 2012 at 8:53AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Started receiving demands for £150 for pcn issued 2 years ago, four months after the event and by different company, first one had gone into liqiudation. Checked site at the time and all signs had been removed and there were no parking restrictions, so thought it was a scam and ignored it. Heard no more until July this year when the first demand came. I made the mistake of replying and the demands have kept coming, although I believe they have no legal case. the point is the company registered office is in Hampshire, the pcn was issued in Dorset, but I have received a letter saying if I don' pay by 4/10 the claim will be registered in Nothampton County Court. Is this just another tactic to stop me going to fight the claim? Also, under the new Protection of Freedoms Act could I invoke POPLA if you think the independant appeals process is any good? I am 70 and could do with a little help to avoid all this hassle.

Comments

• taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Okay MCOL Northampton is where all claims online are made, they then transfer it to your local court on request. But it won't go that far at all, it's just a baseless threat that you can completely ignore. The simple fact is that unless the assets have been acquired by the new company they legally cannot do this. Can you tell who the liquidated company, and who is chasing you now ?

As for POPLA it doesn't apply to anything before 1st October 2012, it hasn't even started yet.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Northampton is where all on-line claims are issued from. Even assuming they were foolish enough to actually issue a claim, you could then have it transferrred to your local county court.
    POPLA is for private tickets issued after 1st Oct, it's not retrospective.

Just keep ignoring.
  • BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    Options
    merleydave , which company issued you the invoice?

Its just a scare tactic to get you to pay, ignore it all unless you get real court papers,

If you do , dont panic we on this and other sites will help you win:)
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    merleydave wrote: »
    Started receiving demands for £150 for pcn issued 2 years ago, four months after the event and by different company, first one had gone into liqiudation. Checked site at the time and all signs had been removed and there were no parking restrictions, so thought it was a scam and ignored it. Heard no more until July this year when the first demand came. I made the mistake of replying and the demands have kept coming, although I believe they have no legal case. the point is the company registered office is in Hampshire, the pcn was issued in Dorset, but I have received a letter saying if I don' pay by 4/10 the claim will be registered in Nothampton County Court. Is this just another tactic to stop me going to fight the claim? Also, under the new Protection of Freedoms Act could I invoke POPLA if you think the independant appeals process is any good? I am 70 and could do with a little help to avoid all this hassle.

It would interesting and useful to know the companies involved but regardless you should just ignore them. They will send you ever increasing threats such as your legs falling off and the sky falling in but all are worthless - you owe them nothing.

At 42 I'm an awkward old !!!!!! ( dread to think what I'll be like at 70 :D ) but I'd suggest you just do a Victor Meldrew and slag them off to anyone you meet and continue to ignore the scammers.
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
  • EHBA
    EHBA Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    We shouldn't be advising posters from Dorset/ Bournemouth to ignore without first knowing who the PPC is, in case it is Devere.

I suspect this might be A S Securi-T who are registered in Southampton.

Could Merleydave reply with the exact company names, details, co reg no's on the the documentation received. Once we know some more facts a strongly worded letter (vigorous defence / costs / harassment / publicity etc ) might be a more final solution for the OP.
  • taffy056
    Options
    What difference does it make if it is devere? The only thing that matters is if they get a mcol claim through the post from Northampton . But as the advice is about to change from Monday it matters even less
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    taffy056 wrote: »
    What difference does it make if it is devere? The only thing that matters is if they get a mcol claim through the post from Northampton . But as the advice is about to change from Monday it matters even less

Because if Devere issue a Court claim and the case is heard in Bournemouth (possibly the case if the OP lives in Dorset) then let's just say there is previous 'form' there for several Devere cases inexplicably winning with a judge who appears to...be in 'favour' of Devere's legal cases (allegedly, possibly)!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • taffy056
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Because if Devere issue a Court claim and the case is heard in Bournemouth (possibly the case if the OP lives in Dorset) then let's just say there is previous 'form' there for several Devere cases inexplicably winning with a judge who appears to...be in 'favour' of Devere's legal cases (allegedly, possibly)!

Yes but the advice is the same Coupon, don't respond to them unless a claim comes in, and maybe the advice would be go to Dorchester instead, or another nearby court. They do go to court more often, but the fact remains there were only 200 claims from them last year, and a fraction of that was in front of a judge.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree but there's also the question of whether the OP actually has a Court letter yet...sounds like a threat of a claim to Northampton rather than real Court papers but we need to be careful here that he doesn't ignore a real claim where he would need to respond to the Court.

Devere do cherry-pick their cases, and an elderly person living in Dorset (maybe) is a classic one for them to railroad through at Bournemouth CC.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • taffy056
    Options
    The funny thing about devere on here is that there are 2 or 3 threads about them, how can a company that tops the list of county court claims have hardly anyone asking about them ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure