PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for those review tips Confuzzled, very helpful. Especially since BIL has just had an external hardrive collapse and OH is looking for one himself. (and I'm quite smug in that I've resisted their attempts to draw me away from using individual memory sticks for different 'subjects' I reckon that it's damage limitation and just scary to put all of your precious photos and documents in one place!
    I'm also glad to read that I'm not the only who dislikes Primark. I think they're like jumble sales, although a friend of mine shops in one of their Spanish branches and she says that it's kept very tidy. Seem to have some good bargains though, maybe if I ventured in as they are opening.... ;)
    Frosty here this morning. Have we all remembered to protect the delicate plants in the garden? Poundshops usually have horticultural fleece, it's cheaper than replacing plants :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anyone is like me and suffers from sore joints due to the cold then Poundland have their stretchy wrist warmers back in. I bought these last year and thought they couldn't make a big difference. Yes they do! I was surprised. It was really cold here this morning (-7C), when I left the house. Thankfully its dress down day so I have jeans, socks (2 pairs), tights, vest, cotton top, wool cardigan, wrist warmers, gloves and pashmina and my coat. I was nice and snug. The wrist warmers have a thumb bit so they come right upto your knuckles, but means your fingers are free. Sometimes (indoors) I'll wear them just round my wrists. They are quite long and stretch the whole length of my forearm if this helps someone.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks unixgirluk I'll look out for the wrist warmers when I go into Manchester on Monday. I find that my forearms do get cold.Several of my jumpers only have 3/4 sleeves and even if I put a long sleeved cardigan on top I still get chilly round the lower arms.

Today when I went out I wore trousers which were lined to just above the knee, long socks, gloves plus mittens on top, a scarf inside my coat and a pashmina outside my coat. The only bit that was cold was my knees.I've still got the smaller scarf on in the house.

I like the description of scarves in one of the Yarn Harlot books-she refers to them as caulking for clothes!

Eenymeeny-I find that Primarks vary. The Manchester one always seems very "jumble saley" to me but I went into the Nottingham branch a couple of years ago and was more impressed.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Thanks unixgirluk I'll look out for the wrist warmers when I go into Manchester on Monday. I find that my forearms do get cold.Several of my jumpers only have 3/4 sleeves and even if I put a long sleeved cardigan on top I still get chilly round the lower arms.

Today when I went out I wore trousers which were lined to just above the knee, long socks, gloves plus mittens on top, a scarf inside my coat and a pashmina outside my coat. The only bit that was cold was my knees.I've still got the smaller scarf on in the house.

I like the description of scarves in one of the Yarn Harlot books-she refers to them as caulking for clothes!

Eenymeeny-I find that Primarks vary. The Manchester one always seems very "jumble saley" to me but I went into the Nottingham branch a couple of years ago and was more impressed.

Get over the knee socks (again Poundland, can you tell I love the place? lol :o). Primark's do vary I think it has a lot to do with the management and the age of the staff. The one in Livingston is awful you can never find anything and the staff are all about school age and hide when you try to ask them something. The one in Motherwell is fab, although small its well laid out and most of the staff are helpful.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been in primarni tonight, got 2 pairs of cosy lined footless tights. Will be wearing those tomorrow! Also got a pretty sweater for DD and a couple of thermal tops. Mine I've been wearing today is a bit small, the sleeves don't reach my wrists.

Was dark and quite cold when I got home...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    edited 2 December 2012 at 10:52PM
    Options
    I've got M&S long sleeved thermal vests to wear under my work long sleeved black t-shirt and the sleeves are longer than the t-shirt ones. Today I had those on plus my body warmer, thick tights, long mohair socks and my lined boots, and by the end of the day I was too hot! Can't win some days ;)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I do that walking to work. All dressed up warm like a fish supper and but the time I do 2 minutes at work I have to go and strip off the layers.

I have envy over the primark nice warm tights :) I seem to be living in long johns and leggings at the moment and suits me fine as I took my socks where they need to go and my boots slip on nicely too.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Bah I've laddered one of my fave pairs of thermals are there any offers on for ladies long johns anywhere? For extra lanky legs please :D

*I do plan to salvage this pair still but a girl can never have enough layers in this weather*
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's been a loooong time since I posted on this thread - or was it the previous one? :o

Anyway, winter is well and truly here in London. Today I went into a Lidl for a gander and found a set of ladies thermal longjohns and top for under a tenner. Even my favourite colour, deep lavender/mauve. Bought it and tried it on this evening. It's perfect. I'll go tomorrow again and get a grey set. It even looks good. :)

I also have two new fleece blankets, one for bottom and the other for top just under the quilt. Fleece doesn't strike cold, washes well and it's so comfortingly warm. Fleece fleece fleece, lol. I find it's money well spent as they don't cost a lot (also jackets), and really do help keep the heating down.

Last year I bought two sets of shoe chains for snow/ice, and haven't used them yet but they're there just in case.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Quasar wrote: »
    I also have two new fleece blankets, one for bottom and the other for top just under the quilt. Fleece doesn't strike cold, washes well and it's so comfortingly warm. Fleece fleece fleece, lol. I find it's money well spent as they don't cost a lot (also jackets), and really do help keep the heating down.

couldn't agree with you more about fleece. this year i dispensed with the usual duvet over my lap whilst working or watching telly in favour of a smaller but warmer fleece blanket. this is a thicker fleece than most but it's just right.

i've also found that if i put it over me in bed then the duvet even on the coldest night so far i haven't needed to switch to my thick winter duvet yet!

also my fleece dressing gown has allowed me to go until just recently with no heat on in the house at all. if i'm a bit warm i'll just wear regular clothes or brushed cotton under it, if i'm quite chilly i put on a fleece jumper under it and i'm toasty

and probably the best thing about fleece, it's made from recycled plastic bottles, whilst i wouldn't encourage making more plastic i know we have tons of bottles for recycling already so what a wonderful way to use them up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure