PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    luckycat99 wrote: »
    I've spent most of the weekend on ravelry - picking shawl and wooly hat patterns - but didn't have the right yarn...so then had to go and get some yarn.!

There is a pattern finder using whatever gauge you want. You work out your gauge first, whatever suits you and then use the advanced pattern finder. Go down the left hand side and put in the gauge per 4 inches and 10 cms. It is brilliant in that you don`t struggle getting the gauge right. It`s a great way of using up odds and ends. Odd balls can make amigurumi animals which would would make great stocking fillers
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    I treated myself to 2 Yankee candles, 25% off online, this is MSE after all, I do love candlelight in the evening & can recommend the spiced orange fragrance.

Where did you order them from?:) I ordered one from Amazon and it never turned up and I got my money back. It was really annoying.:mad:
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Yankee Doodle. They often have offers on, they're addictive but I'm going to stick to the 2 I've got... For now!
  • shoei
    shoei Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well ladies and gentlemen, I had last week off work to do all sorts of winter prep and house jobs.... It wasn't quite as productive as I wanted it to be but very productive none the less.

cleared the pantry and restocked.... just need some milk in there now.
    cleared the spare room
    cleared all wardrobes and got rid of loads of unwanted clothes.
    fixed the kitchen blind
    new draft strip and brush on the front door
    new door handle
    sanded and changed the seal on the bedroom window... just waiting on new glass, hinge and handle.
    changed the seal, handle and hing on snug window... just waiting on glass.
    cut some wood for the log burner
    cleared the garden
    fenced the stable yard so the horses can move to winter paddock
    purchased new head torches as generator having a breakdown!

I have still got to -

Sort leak in loft
    Finish insulating loft and insulate utility loft
    tile kitchen and utility
    sort stable guttering to catch rain water
    connect kitchen radiator
    fit cooker
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wow shoei, you've been busy.

My £4.99 ball of chunky wool is going a long way. I've not only knitted a neck warmer but a pair of fingerless gloves, and there is still lots of wool left. Think I will see if my mum would like a neck warmer knitting. I think knitting is going to be this winters hobby.

The kitchen roof will be finished tomorrow. I'll be glad to see the scaffolding go. We have spent a lot on the roof the last year or two. All the dormer roofs have now been done, the ridge tiles and the kitchen extension. The next big expense will be new windows, but they will have to wait.

Have a warm and cosy evening.

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Reports of possible blackouts on the news this morning. As Kittie has already mentioned. Certainly is time to ensure we're suitably prepped!
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    Morning! It's quite cold here this morning but the sun is shining nicely. I'm getting a new bed and mattress delivered today from Dreams. I'm so excited because it means a good nights sleep!

My prep list isn't getting on so well. I've been putting most things off but this weekend I plan to get sorted.

Still to be done:
    Finish crochet blanket for our bedroom
    Start crochet blanket for DD
    Find a blind for the bathroom
    Sort the garden out and sweep up leaves (we have a completely concreted garden which seems to need more maintenance than grass!)
    Get the water butt connected to the guttering (oops!)
    Stock up on UHT milk, sugar, bread flour and some tins.

I have however finally bought myself a new coat and OH's parents have got him one for Christmas. DD needs a new one but I need to take her shopping to get one rather than ordering anything. We have a tresspass shop in the town so I might get her something in there!

Hope the day warms up and everyone has a lovely day! x

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • noodles86
    noodles86 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 November 2014 at 3:29PM
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Half term is here so don't think I'm going to get much done this week! It's also my girls birthdays 8th/9th November so would really like to get all my left over prep done by then! So gives me a week :rotfl:

I've had a good sort of my medicine draw and at least 50% had expired, so maybe another job worth doing?

Just like to update my winter prep list, it's so satisfying coming and updating and seeing it become less and less;

Winter prep to do list as follows;

Car
    Buy hat & gloves
    Torch

Outside
    Security light to be fitted to the back
    Give the tiled open porch area a mop

Children
    Eldest DD needs 2 more long sleeved tops (but she is very fussy!)
    Eldest DD needs boots

Need to buy
    Refill medicine cupboard - strefen (hopefully tomorrow)
    Rug for playroom (£35 Ikea) (November)
    New light fitting for utility room

Need to deep clean
    Hall way
    Utility room
    Clean all inner windows
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • Everypennysaprisoner
    Options
    I've been meaning to buy a torch for ages. I've found the Duronic 4 in 1 wind up torch/lantern on @mazon down from £29.99 to £13.99. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BHY7URE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APLJ5AXPSKRV0. With a fear of the dark and the warnings of possible blackouts this year, I think it seems like a good buy.
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 October 2014 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Good Afternoon

DH is insulating pipes as we speak. I'm doing some Autumn cleaning.

We bought DS a very good coat yesterday, he has a trip to Iceland coming up and needs lots of outdoor clothing.

My mum and sister were both impressed by my knitted fingerless gloves and would both like a pair. That will keep me busy.

Back to cleaning.......

Polly

Ps during sorting our preps, I realised that we haven't replaced our flask which broke last year. With possible black outs it's at the top of my shopping list!
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure