PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This week Lidl currently has hot water bottles £3.99, and from 23rd thermal tops £3.99 and leggings or tights two pairs for £5.00.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    two interesting wind sites
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.01,51.37,1306

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

not bad here, gusty but not scary. Trees bending though
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Sunny and windy here but a high of 6C.
  • girlinayellowdress
    Options
    Thinking go getting a small camping type stove (just in case) only for soup or hot water etc in a power cut. Two questions, firstly any recommendations and secondly are they safe indoors with ventilation or would it be safer in the garden?
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pinksteps wrote: »
    Thinking go getting a small camping type stove (just in case) only for soup or hot water etc in a power cut. Two questions, firstly any recommendations and secondly are they safe indoors with ventilation or would it be safer in the garden?

I have a two-burner camping stove from my caravanning days, I've used it in the kitchen on a marble chopping board and the with air vent on with no problem when we had power failures a couple of years ago, but I only use it for as long as it takes to boil a pan of water for a cup of tea. It's quite old, the label was washed off some time ago so can't tell you the make. I can't recommend using one as I often read that it's not safe so it's really up to the individual if they're prepared to try it :)
  • girlinayellowdress
    Options
    Thank you sparrer I saw one on the r0bert dy@s website and it had

Lightweight and easy to carry, with electric ignition and variable heat control. Uses butane gas canisters, available separately.
    Suitable for cooking at home or when camping

So was not certain if it meant home indoor ventilated or garden
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    Lost my MSE ways due to life getting in the way and autistic violent son. Will be reclaiming the life I like this weekend and prepping for winter! Have done it previously so should have everything I need, but will be good to get it all together. Determined to get back on track!
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's cool enough down here today to at least officially declare it to be Autumn, I've decided to celebrate the coolness by making a huge pot of Lentil Soup which is simmering away on the hob and making the house smell wonderful with the herbs in it. I love thick soups in colder weather they have a cheer me up factor that lots of other foods don't. I sometimes serve them with a mound of mashed potato in the middle of the bowl, real comfort food!!!
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's cool enough down here today to at least officially declare it to be Autumn, I've decided to celebrate the coolness by making a huge pot of Lentil Soup which is simmering away on the hob and making the house smell wonderful with the herbs in it. I love thick soups in colder weather they have a cheer me up factor that lots of other foods don't. I sometimes serve them with a mound of mashed potato in the middle of the bowl, real comfort food!!!

Yummy!

I made a big pot of Colcannon yesterday, which my friend describes as 'comfort food'. It was certainly delicious. I made enough to freeze for several meals, to be served with vegetarian sausages and thick onion gravy.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    OH has been told to turn out his drawers & go through all socks, t shirts & jumpers to look for holes, he also has to reduce his tshirt pile by 25% as it is ridic, he buys new & never throws old away, even though they are threadbare. I will use all old clothes that can't be repaired as draught excluder stuffing. I need to do the same with my sons pj draw, he has stuff in there that when worn makes him look like Urkel! These I turn into rags for cleaning & polishing if they are beyond donation.

I also need some thicker living room curtains, mine are full length thick silk but unlined, I suppose I could get mum to sew in a lining, which would be better as they match the d!cor & are very expensive so I like to get use out of them. Beyond that I am actually running the freezer down for Christmas as it needs a good defrost & I have an oven clean due too, I use the packs where you put the shelves in a bag & then finish with my steamer. Looks great for about a day!
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport