PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We are due to get the remnants of the hurricane Monday night and Tuesday this week. I've made sure that everything in the garden is secure.

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I've bought a new slow cooker today. I got my old one out to clean & the control knob panel had come loose.
    Luckily the one I wanted was on sale & I had a voucher so it cost me £10.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    Glad I finished all my preps tail end of hurricane hitting uk tomorrow.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had a drive to Lidl earlier to look for the radiator foil, the store assistant knew what I was talking about but it had all sold out. Think I may end up using cardboard and foil, which way round do you put the foil!

I seem to remember reading that somebody on another forum first fixed a sheet of expanded polystyrene to cardboard before fixing the foil with the shiniest side nearest the radiator - using staples.

Aluminium foil does deteriorate though so might need redoing after a couple of years.

Rather more expensive, but effective is something called "radflek". I did all my radiators about 3 years ago and I'm sure it was worth it, in less heat being wasted and consequently I must be saving
    money.

They have it on Amazon but I think I bought mine from a company called greenandeasy - it was cheaper from them at the time.
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Finished the preps out in the garden, pruning, sweeping & all lose things put away. We're currently out of the area the weather warning covers but still good to be prepared!

Back to work after 2 weeks off & not looking forward to it although we have got lots of bits of prep sorted while we've been off so certainly getting there!
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all

I read this thread daily, lurking. Anyway after a chilly weekend and freezing playing in the garden with DS last night I've decided I need to spend today making sure I'm prepared. I've not worried too much in recent years as I live in a town near to shops but it would be nice not to have to dash out if I needed anything so I,m going to spend an extra £10 per fortnightly shopping trip just getting a few bits and bobs in.

Today I'm going to sort some blankets/drinks/snacks for the car and check on antifreeze and de-icer. I don't usually bother for myself because I don't travel far but need to get stuff sorted for the little one.

I also need to get some candles and matches to keep in case of power cuts. I have some door sausages but a few more would be helpful.

Thanks for the inspiration all.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • noodles86
    noodles86 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just like to update my winter prep list;

Winter prep to do list as follows;

Car
    Buy hat & gloves
    Torch

Outside
    Guttering needs a clean
    Trampoline waiting for cover to arrive
    Security light to be fitted to the back
    Give the tiled open porch area a mop

Children
    Eldest DD needs 2 more long sleeved tops (but she is very fussy!)
    Eldest DD needs boots

Need to buy
    Refill medicine cupboard lemsip sachet & pill/strefen/paracetamol
    Rug for playroom (£35 Ikea)

Need to deep clean
    Hall way
    Study
    Downstairs bathroom
    Utility room
    Kitchen
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    Anyone looking for childrens gloves, I found some in Homebargains with all sorts of characters on. They are the magic gloves that stretch out well. I bought Despicable Me, Mickey mouse and Teenage mutant ninja turtles. They were 69p a pair!!

Also, they had some thick slipper socks for children with peppa pig, spiderman, jake the pirate and more. All 89p a pair. I got a few pairs for my DD as she loves wearing these in the winter with her dressing gown and hot water bottle.

Hope it helps someone and that they stock them in your local Home bargains too! x

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    noodles86 wrote: »
    Just like to update my winter prep list;

Winter prep to do list as follows;

Car
    Buy hat & gloves
    Torch

Thank you for the reminder noodles, I need get my fold-up shovel out of the shed and give it a clean-up and oil before putting in the car. I also carry a woollen blanket, boiled sweets and a bar of chocolate (kept in the boot or the temptation to eat it would be too much!) a bottle of energy drink, which won't freeze like water does, my wellies with wellie socks in, an old 3-1-one coat and the car charger for the mobile. Nothing overly heavy so it doesn't affect the mpg, and always have the car mini-serviced in November. Fortunately I've never been caught in a snow-storm or deluge. Yet...
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Went to Mr A's this afternoon and bought some new fingerless gloves. The ones I'll be getting rid of were from £land about 4 years ago and I'm sick of repairing them. The new ones are lovely and thick from the mens department as DD and I both find ladies gloves a little too snug. I'm more than happy with them for £2.50 a pair :D

I've bought a small doormat to put under my desk so help keep my feet warm when I'm sat there. It fits nice and snug so shouldn't have any problems with cold patches as long as I keep my feet in front of the chair instead of crossing my ankles under it lol If I find myself doing the latter, I'll just have to change the direction of the mat. ;)

I also bought some radiator airers, I want to try and avoid putting wet things directly on the radiators and its mainly wet gloves/hats/ scarves that get dumped on there.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport