On benifits and have been left inheritance

Options

Comments

• princessdon
    Options
    No buying a home to live in (as opposed to rental income) is acceptable and advised.
  • enabledebra
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    £180k, in some areas round here, will get a nice little 3/4 bed house that may need some work doing to it.

I picked up a 3 bed ex-council (and we're in quite an affluent area) for £170k last year, and had about £6k spent on it.

Would Deprivation of Capital count, as technically, it's saving the Gov money in HB?

CK

It's unlikely to make deprivation bite if you buy a house. But having said that it's not really what you spend the capital on which is the problem its why you spend it. If you buy a house in order to gain or increase entitlement to a benefit then you will have deprived yourself of capital, but if you buy 40000 lottery tickets because you are a gambling addict you won't have deprived yourself. Crude examples but that's approx how it works

To my knowledge without researching it's not a trade off of overall entitlement to different benefits. Although that could be an argument, I'm not aware of any decisions on this off the top of my head.
  • princessdon
    Options
    It's unlikely to make deprivation bite if you buy a house. But having said that it's not really what you spend the capital on which is the problem its why you spend it. If you buy a house in order to gain or increase entitlement to a benefit then you will have deprived yourself of capital, but if you buy 40000 lottery tickets because you are a gambling addict you won't have deprived yourself. Crude examples but that's approx how it works

To my knowledge without researching it's not a trade off of overall entitlement to different benefits. Although that could be an argument, I'm not aware of any decisions on this off the top of my head.

It was a few years ago (so not sure if rules have changed) but a colleague informed me (can't say it is true) of the following.

They bought a campervan for £28,000 in June. In July were made redundant. They looked at outgoings and decided they deprived themselves. Now according to colleague - they had no idea in June they would be redundant.

They classed this as notional capital.

Personally not 100% sure I believe them - but as they were working for the LA chances are they knew anyway. Incidently it was sold for £300 less than price paid once employed.

Situation was they appealed and allowed - but found work anyway, but claimed 12 weeks worth of benefits.

I genuinely think they got their at risk and spent their savings on an asset they could sell when times suited but in reality who is to say or prove that?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    No buying a home to live in (as opposed to rental income) is acceptable and advised.

I think there may be a bedroom limit, or is that just for payment of mortgage interest from benefit?

Although buying a house may give greater security of tenure than renting, there are greater maintenance costs and responsibilities as a homeowner than a tenant.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Although buying a house may give greater security of tenure than renting, there are greater maintenance costs and responsibilities as a homeowner than a tenant.

This is the problem if you become a home-owner. Will your benefits in future be enough to allow for all the extra costs?
  • enabledebra
    Options
    It was a few years ago (so not sure if rules have changed) but a colleague informed me (can't say it is true) of the following.

They bought a campervan for £28,000 in June. In July were made redundant. They looked at outgoings and decided they deprived themselves. Now according to colleague - they had no idea in June they would be redundant.

They classed this as notional capital.

Personally not 100% sure I believe them - but as they were working for the LA chances are they knew anyway. Incidently it was sold for £300 less than price paid once employed.

Situation was they appealed and allowed - but found work anyway, but claimed 12 weeks worth of benefits.

I genuinely think they got their at risk and spent their savings on an asset they could sell when times suited but in reality who is to say or prove that?

I expect you may be right on all counts but I think the appeal decision was right also- it couldn't be proved on the balance of probability that they bought the campervan to gain or increase entitlement to the benefit they claimed so no deprivation.
  • princessdon
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    This is the problem if you become a home-owner. Will your benefits in future be enough to allow for all the extra costs?

It's a sad state of affairs when people live and aspire to a life on benefits and it absorbs all their thoughts and dreams!

This way their children have an inheritance!
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

I don't think it's been tested in a court yet, however I'd rather (speaking as someone who owns a variety of properties) OP was left with an investment, which in turn could be left to their own children, especially as prices are relatively low at the moment.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • princessdon
    Options
    If I was in Op's situation - nearing retirment etc I'd buy a home and transfer to a trust for my children. Just my opinion though
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I was in Op's situation - nearing retirment etc I'd buy a home and transfer to a trust for my children. Just my opinion though

And grow old in a steadily deteriorating house because there aren't the funds to keep it in good repair? No thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure