On benifits and have been left inheritance

Options

Comments

• belladonna13
    Options
    Thank you Voyager2002 and Mojisola, I must admit I was feeling quite despondent after reading welshone27's post and the thanks she received.

I have ample proof of my usual expenditure to evidence where my disability benefits are being spent, mainly on support/carers and other related costs and will of course keep receipts for any taxis, disability costs from now on.

I think I have read to much about DOC and that is not helping in my situation.

No flash cars or first class cabins on long Caribbean cruises are on the agenda ( I cannot even manage a day trip, physically, nowadays).

Thank you
    Benefit fraud costs £1.2b per year. Tax evasion (illegal) costs £70b, tax avoidance (legal) costs £25b, overdue receipts amount to £25b. Every year we lose 120 times more on tax than we do to benefit fraud.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you might agree to allow a greater share to pass to your sister
    Deprivation of capital.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand how they can tell a family on full benefits that they need to spend a couple of hundred pound less each month to stay within DoC rules!

If you are not receiving money from elsewhere and you are only paying bills etc then they'd have a hard job proving you were deliberately depriving yourself of capital if you keep your spending st the same level.

I agree people with disabilities are well looked after in this country - we were the richest we have ever been when I was receiving DLA years ago.
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2012 at 7:49PM
    Options
    It would appear at the moment that I am going to be having a lower standard of living with the inheritance then I did without it and I am worried about my paid support and if I dare even continue to have that.
    I don't understand. I was recently involved in a serious accident which kept me off work for just over 16 weeks. Since I'm single and effectively am the only salary earner, during that time I was expected to live soley off SSP.

Obviously a single payment of £85.85 a week didn't even meet the rent, so I was expected to make up the difference in rent, council tax, utility bills etc from out of my savings, there was no additional help or benefits available to me either, I just had to suck it up.

I wasn't happy, that my savings, which coincidentally also largely consisted of what my Father had left me when I was 23 had also been used to fund bills and the rent. I'm on a low salary and i'll never be able to replace those savings from which i've also recently had to use in order to live a lower standard of living whilst,at the same time also try to look after myself whilst I recovered from what were quite serious leg injuries.

What can I say?, the world is an imperfect place.

Suffice to say, once you, like me, have had to live off this inheritence for a while, and the figure eventually dips below the radar where it no longer affects your benefits then no doubt your standard of living will improve once again, when everything is restored.

Just like you, I hated using an inheritence to live off also, and to pay mundane bills with, but there was no alternative and hey! hardship and an unfair system can affect us all.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • enabledebra
    Options
    Yes, I hate spending my wages on bills when I could put them to better use building up a nest egg.
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    chris1973 wrote: »
    Just like you, I hated using an inheritence to live off also, and to pay mundane bills with, but there was no alternative and hey! hardship and an unfair system can affect us all.

Sorry, I don't get this. I had to take a year off work once with a chronic illness and claimed for no benefits since I had £25k in savings at the time to live off. Isn't the whole point of having assets that they're there for a 'rainy day'? Why would you expect recourse to public money if you have enough of your own to live off?
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2012 at 9:44PM
    Options
    Resources is resources is resources. There is no more a case for not having to use savings/inheritance to meet your needs than there is for not having to use your income- neither is less fair than the other. You are able to have £16k set aside without being expected to live off it (which would cover your holiday I hope : ))but that's it.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to the OP's other thread the inheritance is expected to be £180k now I would expect that amount will help the family for a goodly number of years without recourse to claiming benefits especially as there is also a fair amount of disability benefits that are not means tested.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • enabledebra
    Options
    I appreciate that issue (and hopefully will never rear it's head), however, if it did I will admit that personally I would have bought the car I need with hindsight. That is human nature I suspect.

Quite so, and in that case you wouldn't have capital resources so wouldn't be expected to live off it. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to spend money on things they need (or want) but if you have a substantial amount of money sitting around you can't expect not to have to use it any more than I can expect to be able to put my wages in a savings account and then claim benefits. No one wants to completely wipe out anyone's assets and the rules let you keep £16k.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    cbrown372 wrote: »
    According to the OP's other thread the inheritance is expected to be £180k now I would expect that amount will help the family for a goodly number of years without recourse to claiming benefits especially as there is also a fair amount of disability benefits that are not means tested.

£180k, in some areas round here, will get a nice little 3/4 bed house that may need some work doing to it.

I picked up a 3 bed ex-council (and we're in quite an affluent area) for £170k last year, and had about £6k spent on it.

Would Deprivation of Capital count, as technically, it's saving the Gov money in HB?

CK
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family