Winter Fuel Payment - I'll be 63 when I get it

Options
12467

Comments

  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    So are those also the dates of birth of females qualifying for state pension from 5 April in the first of the two years?

    The pension age changes throughout the year -

    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181343/spa-timetable.pdf
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »

    But will this change this afternoon I wonder
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the elder spouce in a married couple already claims WFA of £200, what would happen if, on qualification, the youger spoce dis not apply?
    Where finances are treated as one unit what is the point of both partners claiming £100 each when one could receive £200?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    If the elder spouce in a married couple already claims WFA of £200, what would happen if, on qualification, the youger spoce dis not apply?
    Where finances are treated as one unit what is the point of both partners claiming £100 each when one could receive £200?

    Maybe because not everyone treats finances as one unit. Each individual draws their own pension entitlement, not as one unit.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,975 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    So are those also the dates of birth of females qualifying for state pension from 5 April in the first of the two years?

    Not quite - they're the dates of birth of the youngest females who would qualify for state pension on the qualifying date for the Winter fuel Payment (which is not 5th April). I'm not sure exactly how this qualifying date is determined but it's towards the end of September (as you can see from the dates quoted for 2021-22 onwards, when the gradual extension of pension age to 66 has finished).
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe because not everyone treats finances as one unit. Each individual draws their own pension entitlement, not as one unit.

    But that's just being argumentative for the sake of it.

    Where finances are treated as one unit what is the point of both partners claiming £100 each when one could receive £200?

    So if the younger partner doesn't claim will the elder partner's £200 be reduced to £100 pending a claim by the younger partner or will the powers that be allow the status quo to prevail.?

    This is a question, can you answer without diverging please.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Not quite - they're the dates of birth of the youngest females who would qualify for state pension on the qualifying date for the Winter fuel Payment (which is not 5th April). I'm not sure exactly how this qualifying date is determined but it's towards the end of September (as you can see from the dates quoted for 2021-22 onwards, when the gradual extension of pension age to 66 has finished).

    Consistency is too much to ask for from our civil servants but then having loads of diferent qualifying dates keeps so many of them in a job.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,975 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    Consistency is too much to ask for from our civil servants but then having loads of diferent qualifying dates keeps so many of them in a job.


    I think it's quite sensible to have the qualifying date for a Winter fuel Payment to be at the start of winter.

    To be crude, anyone who reaches the qualifying date for the payment is entitled to the whole payment even if they drop dead a day later, so from a treasury point of view it doesn't make sense to have the qualifying date any earlier than necessary.

    If you are looking for simplicity I suggest it would be best to scrap the payment altogether and add £1-£2 to the weekly pension but I suspect people would complain if that happened.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I think it's quite sensible to have the qualifying date for a Winter fuel Payment to be at the start of winter.

    To be crude, anyone who reaches the qualifying date for the payment is entitled to the whole payment even if they drop dead a day later, so from a treasury point of view it doesn't make sense to have the qualifying date any earlier than necessary.

    If you are looking for simplicity I suggest it would be best to scrap the payment altogether and add £1-£2 to the weekly pension but I suspect people would complain if that happened.

    I wouldn't call 5 July the start of winter.
    I was looking to cut the number of civil servants and their unaffordable salaries by getting rid of the number of jobs they duplicate just for a halfpenny's worth of difference.

    Don't forget that this money isn't entirely for winter fuel although that is the name it goes by.

    So you don't know the answer to the question then
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,975 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2013 at 6:45PM
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call 5 July the start of winter.



    Nor would I - and I didn't. The 'qualifying' date and the corresponding date of birth currently don't match up because the women's state pension age is gradually being brought line with mens.


    A woman born on 5th July 1951 reached state pension age on 6th September 2012 - i.e. just before the qualifying date for the Winter Fuel Payment, which as I stated in my previous post is towards the end of the end of September. (A women born a day later didn't reach Pension age until 6th November 2012 so missed out on the payment last year).


    If you look at the government website, the qualifying dates mentioned this year at which you needed to be resident in the UK were 16th-22nd September. https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility


    Once men's and women's pension ages have reached the same in 2020, you can see that the required birth date once matches the qualifying date in September, as the State Pension age is then an exact number of years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards