IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CPS Midlands parking ticket

Options
Hi, I'm a newbie to the site, am looking for some advice please ?

I have received a parking fine from CPS midlands ltd & are trying to charge me £125.00 for parking in a street parking area where for 6 years you could park freely. But now they are slapping fines on anybody without a permit in about 5 or 6 parking bays. They even slapped one on a securities van which was parked outside a shop for minutes whilst collecting cash. I have done a bit of research on the web & a lot of people say do not pay & mention contract law. On inspection of the area on returning to my parked car ( 5 other vehicles had also been done) there were signs placed on lamposts a good 8 foot high, when i am driving I tend to keep my eye on the road & surrounding areas, not looking up lamposts.
Has anybody else been hit by these cowboys ??

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you got a "Penalty Charge Notice" (carrying council details as well as CPS' details), or a "Parking Charge Notice" payable to CPS?

If it's the latter, just file it and forget it, and do the same with anything else you receive from them and any cockroach debt collectors or fake solicitors who write to you.

If the former, appeal it or pay it.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • ppc_guy
    ppc_guy Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    From experience ignore Mr Alain Hutton. I think he uses Debt recovery plus but they can be ignored too and have a ream of thread on here,
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    Options
    i had a ticket from there in the local staples, they are based in a business centre at an old brewery site in Nottingham

Easy to ignore, also ingore the follow up letters
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • Mr_Price
    Options
    It's just payable to CPS
  • BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    Options
    Mr_Price wrote: »
    It's just payable to CPS

in that case ignore and treat like any other scammer
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • Mr_Price
    Options
    Thank you for your advice, fingers crossed they will give up
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr_Price wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice, fingers crossed they will give up

They will! You can safely uncross your fingers and instead get ready to play a nice game of PPC snap with the predictable flurry of letters.

Like all the other posters on this board, you have a fake PCN. Ignore it.

When dealing with "tickets" from private parking companies (PPCs) our advice is to ignore them as long as the registered keeper is you or a relative. The letters to ignore are easy when they arrive at the address of someone who knows it's all hogwash and not a real parking ticket at all.

The whole scam of fake PCNs relies firstly on people's ignorance of the fact that a random private company can't fine anyone, and secondly on their natural fear of parking tickets and the escalating costs/bailiff scenario. So PPCs copy the look of a real parking ticket and - hey presto! - the cash rolls in from victims who know no better.

This is different. This is not a penalty at all. It's rubbish.

Read the stickies!! Tick off the threatening letters here.

Watchdog clip with expert Solicitor's opinion here.

Barrister's opinion here.

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Danny5ive
    Options
    I have also received a parking charge notice from CPS Midlands Ltd - I parked in a disabled space at a DW Gym in Netherfield Nottingham. I've seen the watch dog clip and considering ignoring the ticket - however as I'm a member of the gym where I received the ticket am I liable to pay the fine?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You are not liable to pay and it's not a FINE!
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Danny5ive wrote: »
    ... however as I'm a member of the gym where I received the ticket am I liable to pay the fine?
    Yes they've passed new legislation which says that all gym members have to pay any amount demanded by private parking companies, unless you can row 4000m in under 8 minutes on the rowing machine, and then bench press 240Kgs. ;)

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure