Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes! Please name and shame restaurants that are 500 miles or so away! :mad:

I would have to travel through 4 countries to get there by car... :rotfl::rotfl:

I think MSE members find these threads on the "New Posts" button and are unaware that it is on the NI forum.

By the way since the law about tap water being free in licenced premises only applies to England Scotland and Wales and does not apply to Northern Ireland, it is puzzling why we have such a thread on the NI forum at all.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Real China in Poole charged me 60p for a glass of tap water, even though I was also buying a bottle of wine.

Furthermore the wine was corked and after my friend sampled it, the extreamly bad tempered and rude barman refused to give her a clean glass!

Needless to say, we have not returned and take every possible opportunity to put others off ever going near the place as the food was terrible too.
    If the wine was corked, what good would a clean glass do...? Bad wine is still bad in a clean glass.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RikM wrote: »
    If the wine was corked, what good would a clean glass do...? Bad wine is still bad in a clean glass.

Most people don't have a clue what corked actually means
  • jenheiffer
    jenheiffer Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    Yes! Please name and shame restaurants that are 500 miles or so away! :mad:

I would have to travel through 4 countries to get there by car... :rotfl::rotfl:

No need to be like that. Why the angry face? I was merely saying that all restaurants who refuse water should be named and shamed no matter where they are.
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »

By the way since the law about tap water being free in licenced premises only applies to England Scotland and Wales and does not apply to Northern Ireland, it is puzzling why we have such a thread on the NI forum at all.

Just so we can point out which restaurants are greedy enough to charge for tap water so those who want to can avoid them.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, but if I ever was, I'd just buy a bottle of water ... with the money that I was saving for the tip.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    I've been in restaurants that don't charge for tap water, but add a "glass usage fee" or something equally daft.
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    Red_Cat wrote: »
    I've been in restaurants that don't charge for tap water, but add a "glass usage fee" or something equally daft.

Sssh! That trick hasn't caught on in NI yet - don't be giving them any ideas!;)
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    The other place, stranmillis. No tap water available with my meal. Next meal will be somewhere else!
    Always overestimating...
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    x12yhp wrote: »
    The other place, stranmillis. No tap water available with my meal. Next meal will be somewhere else!

You must mean Botanic. The Stranmillis one has been closed for years. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport