How does Expired MOT affect insurance claim?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• bravodaman
    Options
    Hmmm so they could still check up on MOT or ask for it :(

Well this has a potential to drag on so for the moment at least the repairs on the car will begin and I will pay it out of my pocket. I will strongly argue the roadworthiness when it comes to expired MOT issues and contact the Ombudsman when it comes to it.

Anyway, is it usually a 10% deduction from the Market value if there's no MOT?

I suppose I can accept that as a hit and learn the lesson to never rely on garages to send you reminders for your MOT.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would recommend you read the advice you have received from the various posters
  • Mizqtpie
    Mizqtpie Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice please.

I was involved in a non-fault car accident the other day where the other driver drove through a red Leigh and we collided. There were no witnesses and no traffic light cameras...typical.

Anyway, I proceeded with a non-fault claim and have just been informed that my claim is invalid due to an expired MOT certificate! I really didn't know it had expired. They have also decided to cancel my insurance policy, meaning now if the other driver decided to claim against me, I would be liable for £600 excess and payment of the remainer of my policy which is another £600. Baring in mind I have damages to my car (it's still drivable).

The other driver hasn't informed his insurance as of yet. So i was hoping to speak to him so we can possibly settle this privately.

I have an mot booked in this weekend, and was wondering if I could re-instate my insurance policy? Technically if I get hold of the other driver which I have not been able to yet and the claim gets settled privately my insurance would not incur any costs if the accident went as 50/50.

Does anyone think it is a likely case that I can get my insurance renewed and i will completely forget about the claim so that it's in my Insurance's favour if I present them with a new mot certificate?

It costs so much more to have to admit to new insurance companies that I've had a policy cancelled!

Thanks in advance!
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 April 2017 at 8:19PM
    Options
    have just been informed that my claim is invalid due to an expired MOT
    Not sure they can do that.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5630077ertificate!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who are your Insurers?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Don't offer any deal to the guilty party!

Challenge this cancellation with all resources! A cancellation like this will be bad news for you unless you get it rescinded. Complain that this action is unfair and escalate to the FOS if you are unhappy with the reply

You cannot now remove the incident from your record even if you do decide not to proceed with your claim, meaning a new loss to disclose as well as a cancelled policy to disclose too!

Consider claiming direct with the third party insurer to get things moving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport