Why haven't I written about line rental?

Comments

• April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    A brief summary of calls with Telecom Plus Plc

A 5 minute call in the daytime (local or national) is 12.5p inc VAT (10.5p more than 18866).

A 5 minute call in the evenings or at weekends is 4.7p inc VAT (2.7p more than 18866) - up to an hour is still 4.7p (still 2.7p more than 18866).

But thanks for the advert anyway.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • neilj_2
    neilj_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    April2 wrote:

A brief summary of calls with Telecom Plus Plc

A 5 minute call in the daytime (local or national) is 12.5p inc VAT (10.5p more than 18866).

A 5 minute call in the evenings or at weekends is 4.7p inc VAT (2.7p more than 18866) - up to an hour is still 4.7p (still 2.7p more than 18866).

But thanks for the advert anyway.

Well said!
    :wave:
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Given his/her name, FREEisBetterThanCHEAP will certainly love this truly free offer from 1899:

Completely free calls to UK, Canada, United States and Germany landlines with 1899 VOIP. Yes that is zero, zilch, absolutely nothing, no rental, no fees, no call charges, no nothing!! Just visit https://www.1899.com

Whay not put your selling skills to selling that?
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BTW the 'piggy' link in FREEisBetterTHANCHEAP's post is a referral link! If anyone is really interested in EXPENSIVE calls then why not use the direct link instead and avoid putting money in FREEisBetterTHANCHEAP's pocket!

Here is the non-referral link:

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/
  • --Tony--
    --Tony-- Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    layces wrote:
    Another reason for not abandoning BT as the line rental provider is that some other companies do not provide all of the additional services like call forwarding, ring back, etc. I was tempted by Toucan at one time but soon changed my mind!

I just posted this elseware but after reading this thought I would point out that the added services could add more reason to want to move (however not for me)

Although the line rental would only save you about £6 per year on One tel if you take out additional services (daller display, call divert, reminder call etc) there are more savings to be made.

BT charge £1.75 per month for one service then, for 2-4 services they charge £3.50 and if you take 5 or more its £5.00 per month.

One tell Charge £1.50 for one service and extra £1 for the second (£2.50 total) then 75p for each additional one.

I, taking 2 services would be an additional £1 a month better of and with line rental £18 a year better of with One tel.

But like others don't want to move due to 18866 issue, I just got my first bill from them, three months weekday calls £1.78 wooooooooooopie!!!

Just one point on the above if you took 4 services you would be better of with BT as BT charge £3.50 and one tel £4.00 this even wipes out any saving on your line rental.... Beware!
  • --Tony--
    --Tony-- Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just thinking more about this, there is £18 a year to be sayed which is almost 2 months line reantal. Why not change, if they try to up my line rental of try to stop me using 18866 then I go straight back to BT, simple.

Any catch with that?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I haven't checked the T&C of any of the companies now offering line rental to see if there is a 12 month tie in but that might be a decision breaker?

Many years ago I went with Scottish Power for telephone which at the time was very successful and they offered two lines, one was half price rental which suited me for a dedicated internet line. When they stopped the service they paid BT the £100 cost to install a second line which was great but then I had to start a new 12 months contract with BT for the line rentals and when I changed one line part way through the 12 months for the internet line I had to pay to get out of the contract. Just a consideration but again I am not sure if BT still enforce this 12 months contract if you are "coming back to BT".
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    ...When they stopped the service they paid BT the £100 cost to install a second line which was great but then I had to start a new 12 months contract with BT for the line rentals and when I changed one line part way through the 12 months for the internet line I had to pay to get out of the contract. Just a consideration but again I am not sure if BT still enforce this 12 months contract if you are "coming back to BT".

We were on Telewest (and was for years) up until yesterday (8th April) as we're now on BT. As we were reconnecting, we were told by BT that there is only a 3 month minimum term for reconnections, 12 months for "new" connections.

I can confirm this is true as couple of days ago we received a letter from BT telling us when they are due out, etc and on this letter it actually stated that only 3 months minimum term applied.

Having just quickly scanned OneTel's t&c, I couldn't find any reference to a minimum term contract (I searched for '12' & 'minimum').

According to oldagetraveller (in this thread), OneTel said that they dont allow use of other providers.

Personally, £18 (odd) saving per year sounds good but if it involves all the messing around have OneTel take over the line rental then finding out they don't like people using other carriers, and then all the messing around going back to BT for line rental then I know we are giving it a miss for now. I suspect that overtime (well hope) these other providers may reduce their line rental more.

After all, you only save £6 per year on OneTel (excluding having any call services) compared to using BT. We have caller display so for us to move would only save £9 per year (as OneTel is 25p less for this one calling feature compared to BT). We do have premium rate blocked (still free on BT) and mobile calls but as we use the Orchid Dialler, I have set this up to block mobiles saving us £1.75 per month.

Remember, it is in OneTel's best nature to stop people from using other carriers and even block all indirect access codes (ie 18866) due to fear of losing revenue. I can imagine BT really annoyed at having to open their network to other telephony providers but fortunate for us they have to!
  • Clowance wrote:
    Hi,
    In my area we can only get Freeview TV channels via cable, not via transmitter. Therefore we also have NTL cable telephone and hence are forced to have NTL broadband as all other broadbands require a BT line.
    We would like to switch broadband provider but this means having to pay 2 line rentals. Do any money saving experts have a solution for this? Our telephone use is minimal.
    If you are in an ntl broadband enabled area, you can use aol.
  • AP
    AP Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post
    SteveBeeby wrote:
    In reply to your "I just wouldn't bother"

We at Vitel are a BT wholesale service provider, we do not penalise any of our customers for only using us for line rental.

We have no minimum call spend or do we state you must use us for calls

We do offer calls that are not routed over any other network than BT. We do NOT CPS any calls.

We bill both line rental and calls if used on one detailed simple to understnd bill so you you have one bill to pay rather than one for calls and one for rentals

Business customers are welcome also

We are quite prepared to offer a no minimum contract offer to all refferals from "Money Saving Experts" website

All we ask is that our customers pay by Direct Debit as we have a £3 per month non DD charge.

Regards

After speaking to your colleague on the phone today, it appears that the monthly line rental charge from your company is £9.99 + VAT, i.e. £11.74 per month which is more than £10.50 per month under BT Together Option 1! She believes that the line rental charge under BT Together Option 1 is £10.50 + VAT, i.e. £12.34 per month which is incorrect.

Your Standard Terms and Conditions of Services states the followings:-

1.(a) Administrative Charge means a monthly fee of £5 imposed by Vitel for handling payments made other than by direct debit as provided in Condition 6.3 below:

5.1 During the term of this Agreement, the Customer shall not use another telecommunications service provider or network operator to provide an indirect access telephony service.

6.3 The Customer shall be invoiced monthly by Protocall for charges under this agreement plus value added tax. ...

Please would you clarify these points as they seem to contradict with what you mention in your above post, in particular, please confirm:

a) How much the monthly line rental charge from your company for residential customers is including VAT?

b) After transferring the line rental billing to your company, are customers allowed to use 18866, 1899, One.Tel, etc. to route their calls?

c) Is your non-direct debit monthly charge £5 or £3, and does it include VAT?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport