Why haven't I written about line rental?

Comments

• rappius
    rappius Posts: 26 Forumite
    I'm with NTL but use the 'one.tel' box and my problem is that NTL is not offering broadband in my area of North London. My alternative has been to download 'onspeed yesterday but I haven't got to grips with it yet. It's had good reports from they who should know but any advice would be welcome. Also I have been using 'ratebuster' with its annoying yankee voice, but Onetel charges me the first minute at its 4.8p rate and thereafter 1p per minute so it's OK for lengthy calls. I'm going to try 18866 and 1899 for the mobile.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,841 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,
    In my area we can only get Freeview TV channels via cable, not via transmitter. Therefore we also have NTL cable telephone and hence are forced to have NTL broadband as all other broadbands require a BT line.
    We would like to switch broadband provider but this means having to pay 2 line rentals. Do any money saving experts have a solution for this? Our telephone use is minimal.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use Onetel CPS with BT line so can use 18866 etc. However I contacted Onetel and asked specifically about using other services if I opted to use them for line rental. The reply was quite categorical in that I could not use other providers e.g. 18866 when paying them for line rental. Don't see the logic because it must be better for them to receive £9.99/month from me than I continue paying BT for line rental? I also use Onetel for my dial up internet and as a result of this, seriously thinking of changing ISP. So their dogged adherance to rules may lose them all my payments.
    All the providers that will collect line rental direct presumably have to pay a wholesale rental to BT, so I think you're being a little unfair to Onetel here. Maybe they make £1 or £2 not £10. It's mainly for billing convenience to customers not profit.

Perhaps in future some of the discount ideas will feed through to line rental. But with blocking of other providers, I doubt that there will be any advantage except for very low users, who will hardly be the most sought-after customers

I don't think we need to hold our breath waiting for cheaper line rentals, unless something can be done with broadband prices bundled in cheaper
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I use cable (Telewest) for the phone with a rental of £10.50/month including free calls at the weekend. ISTR BT is much more expensive. This does mean I cannot get ADSL but cable broadband has proved very reliable and fast.

I do keep an eye on Bulldog (non-cable, non-BT contract) which looks good for 12 months of offers if you already have a BT line.

Chiny
  • I haven't bothered looking into switching from BT for one reason only.

In reply to "I was under the impression that to use certain ISP's (including my own - Plus.net) you have to be with BT.

Have I got that correct?

Dave"

Dave you would still be with BT as we are a BT wholesale Service Provider
  • April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    chiny wrote:
    I use cable (Telewest) for the phone with a rental of £10.50/month including free calls at the weekend. ISTR BT is much more expensive.

Chiny
    BT line rental is also £10.50/month but, surprise, surprise, they don't include any free calls.

However, most people on here with a BT line will use CPS (OneTel, TalkTalk or whoever) so they get free weekend or free weekend AND evening calls (the latter for 12 months).
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    SteveBeeby wrote:
    Dave you would still be with BT as we are a BT wholesale Service Provider
    Steve your site has no mention of prices that I can see
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Essu wrote:
    What about company called Utility Warehouse based in London? They claim to be able to sell cheaper than One.Tel in phone calls and cheaper than anyone else in electricity. Has anyone managed to decipher their pricing schedules to see if this is true? They work on Discount Club basis.

Utility Warehouse is TelecomPlus by another name, not got the best of reputations and yes you have to have all your utilities with the company to make any appreciable savings.
  • EdCov
    EdCov Posts: 254 Forumite
    I was a customer of LocalTel (they provided free internet access) if you paid your line rental through them. The problem was that we kept on having the phone ring and there was no one there, it could of been a nuisance caller or it could have been a technical fault, I always suspected the latter.

I phoned up LocalTel who were responsible for my line, I think I did try BT but when I gave them my number they told me I had to go to my provider. Later I tried to phone my wife and the number did not work, puzzling I thought, I phoned up LocalTel, they had contacted BT and BT had changed our number. No discussion, no nothing, just changed our number without even telling us.

I am probably wrong, but it almost felt like a punishment from BT. So we had to quickly tell everyone our number had changed, which was a real pain, and of course when we asked them to change the number back because we had not requested it, that was impossible.

I probably ought to have gone to the regulator and kicked up a fuss, but if you are with another provider on BT, and you have problems you may not get the same service.
  • Essu wrote:
    What about company called Utility Warehouse based in London? They claim to be able to sell cheaper than One.Tel in phone calls and cheaper than anyone else in electricity. Has anyone managed to decipher their pricing schedules to see if this is true? They work on Discount Club basis.
    A brief summary of calls with Telecom Plus Plc

A 5 minute call in the daytime (local or national) is 12.5p inc VAT
    A 5 minute call in the evenings or at weekends is 4.7p inc VAT - up to an hour is still 4.7p
    Between Utility Warehouse Discount Club members , calls are free 24/7

You can choose whether to opt in to the line rental or not.

Full terms conditions etc etc

Thanks

***Please do not place advertising material for TelecomPlus on this thread, thank you Board Guide***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure