Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Virgin Brides Manchester is dreadful.
    At first appears to have loads of wonderful dresses on offer but my visit turned out to be very disappointing.

Left to myself to select from racks. Staff really not interested. All dresses dirty and torn. Hardly selling a dream!

I would advise anyone to think carefully before making a special trip there and if you're thinking of buying a sample dress cheap inspect carefully. If the state of the sample dresses still in use are anything to go by the 'old' ones must be awful.

Bridesmaid dept no better. Even though we prebooked appt (needs to be separate from brides appt) there weren't enough people to help. Also beware if your bridesmaid is bigger than a size 8-10 as they only carry samples in small sizes and it can be quite a depressing experience.

Like the sound of the Lichfield shop though. Does anyone know where it is or how to get in touch?
    I'm geeting married Aug 04 in a local manor house at considerable cost so am looking to save in other areas.
  • Fif_2
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this. I only got engaged a month ago and i'm hoping someone might have a tip for a good savings account? We're getting married in the spring of 2005 and need an easy access acount. I read all of your tips yesterday and am now inspired........ :)
  • Former_MSE_Moderator
    Options
    For Martin's advice on savings accounts read his article ' Increase your savings interest 10 fold'.

For various discussions on savings and investments look here.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ms Thrift

is this site a good one for prices for wedding favours

http://www.sugarboy.co.uk/favours.asp

we were talking about sweeties on another thread (in the arms would you believe ;))

mini
  • System
    Options
    Remember its your day not everyone else's - do what you want.

We got married abroad, 8 of us in total went to Cyprus for a week, plus we chartered a yacht & a meal in a posh restaurant. We had a party in my parents back garden in the summer before we went - buffett lunch. We had a great time and don't regret going abroad one bit.

If you want to wear white - go for a bridesmaid's dress, they can be just as beautiful. I wore blue - my dress cost me £50 in the sales and I can wear it again!
  • System
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm getting married in May.

I've just been sales shopping for gifts for the ushers. Loads of tankards, whiskey minatures in cases, etc etc etc on Sainsbury's shelves etc. Most now down to bewteen £2.50 and a fiver (was £10+). Bought a few which will sit in a cupboard until the big day!

As for favours on the table...anyone thought of buying packets of love heart sweets! cheap and cheerful...and who likes sugared almonds anyway?

And when booking a car, ask the vicar / preist for a recommendation, often they'll have a business within the parish which will discount for that church.
  • System
    Options
    Neither married nor planning, but I know that Oxfam have bridal shops.

There is one here in Aberdeen and there are others dotted around the country, I know there's one in Leicester and one in Coventry - not sure where else though, but you could check with your local store.

I believe it's quite popular - as has been said before, the dress has generally only been worn for a few hours.

Here in Aberdeen there are a lot of Americans so they buy big dresses and then decide not to keep them - I believe there can be some very fancy dresses.

They also do the accessories.

Might be worth a look but thought I would let you know just in case there's one near you!

Good Luck all with your arrangements.
  • louby_2
    Options
    Here's one from my own wedding...

I had five bridesmaids and was quoted a fortune for the flowers so I just asked the florist to individually wire up about 20 roses (for the grand cost of a pound a piece) which they were able to thread though their hair in different ways depending on their hairstyle.

Also if you are having young bridesmaids or pageboys up to about 8/9 try the Redoute catalogue. They do some lovely formal childrens clothes at about £20 per outfit.

If you request a catalogue they will offer you varous discounts, ignore the first couple of letters as they just get better the longer you wait - I was eventually offered 25% off the total of my first order wth them.

:)
  • Samuelle_2
    Options
    Hi,

I saw that someone mentioned Estee Lauder for bridal make-up. I used them for my 'practise make-up' and they were very good. It didn't cost me anything and I got a free keepsake compact to keep.

Our biggest saving was our stationery, we decided to make it ourselves as we couldn't find anything that we really liked/could afford, although it was hard work it turned out really nicely and nobody noticed that it wasn't bought from a stationers.

Good luck to all of you getting married! :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hen nights / days out. I think someone mentioned pampering days. If you or any of your friends are members of a nice gym / health club, they might offer a good rate for guest passes for the day. Our new boss has just paid for us to spend the afternoon at her club, where we could use the gym, swim, take a sauna or steam bath, or sit in the jacuzzi. If we'd wanted we could have arranged for massages, facials and similar treatments at extra cost. Then we all met up for coffee round the (real) log fire. Ace!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport