Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• mistral_2
    mistral_2 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Very True Sir
    But how do you stop that when many women maybe have money making ideas of there own when they get married.
    eg taking the bloke for everything a few years later?
    Now that is a true money saving expert !
    'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know. Obviously both parties should be getting married for the "right" reasons.

I do know that I have practically nothing in my own name, my wife and I own things jointly. In fact she probably owns more than me since some savings are in her name (tax purposes).
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can we go back to Ms Thrifts wedding plans and saving her money before we put her off completely.

mini
  • Peter_Hiser
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the implications marriage has on my tax code or has the government chipped away at that benfit now? Who do I need to inform to have my tax code altered, will my employer arrange this or do I need to advise my local tax office?

Of course I'm not intending to marry soley for tax reasons!
  • Gem_3-2
    Options
    HA... these wedding tips have certainly got a bit more depressing since I last looked!!! I'm getting married soon too - not for tax reasons, nor to take my fiancé's money!!! Does money saving have to be so cynical?! Anyhow.. thanks for some of the earlier tips... just wondered if many people have tried eloping??? Is it really any cheaper??! Also, does anyone know a good place for dresses in Yorkshire/North East? - Preferably somewhere with good money saving discounts available!!!
    Gem.
  • Mrs_Thrift
    Options
    Woah, this certainly is getting depressing! It's not put me off, though!

Mistralflow and Judi - I'm sorry to hear you've both had such a bum deal from marriage, but as a wise man once said, sometimes "you've gotta have faith"..

Thanks for your congratulations, Judi.

Mini - thanks for trying to cheer it up again and for thinking of me when you were in Boots. Like you said, though, don't know if I'd want to sit in the middles of the shoppers. But if they offer a trial session that might be worth a look. We're near a big Boots store so I'll have a look tomorrow.

We have got a budget worked out now (mostly provided by my lovely, lovely parents - Oh, hi Dad, didn't realise you visited this site) which is great as it gives us something to work within and try to beat for extra moneysaving satisfaction. The budget is set at a lot less than the average wedding cost, but I have to say still pretty generous by all accounts (Oh, you're still here, Dad?)

But I have to admit I haven't done much more planning over the last couple of weeks. And the time is flying by. We've promised ourselves that we'll get stuck in over the weekend. So hopefully I'll have some more news soon....

...after I've calculated how much money I can take the sucker for (kidding, of course!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Debut in Debenhams have reduced some of their dresses. I brought mine today for £63 instead of £90 :)
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Ms Thrift

Not a money saving tip but I feel I should inform you anyway, if when you are married you wish to buy your new husband a birthday card, start looking now, card amkers must presume that all married men spend their married life fishing or in the garden (maybe they should do!). The choice of cards is dismal, I walked round so many card shops I concluded it would have been easier to make Mr Miniar (not his real name) take up fishing instead.

I found myself looking at bags for your bridesmaids on Monday, are you having bridesmaids? & if yes what colour will they be wearing (may help me be more useful :))

bfn

mini
  • Mrs_Thrift
    Options
    Hi mini

(Sorry, I've missed something - where have the a and r come from?!)

Cards are really terrible, aren't they? I've always had trouble with finding them for the other half anyway, but the ones with husband on are even worse. And for Dads! If your Dad's hobbies are making money, saving money and spending money (but not on golf or fishing), what's a girl to do?

A real money saving tip would be to say "I don't believe in cards" as someone I know does! Bit of a cop out methinks!

Thank you so much for helping out like this. I haven't even looked at much stuff in the shops myself yet! We are meeting a photographer next week though, and it's looking good so far. More details will follow next week of we book it.

As for bridesmaids - I'm having one, one of my best friends, but she lives in Taiwan and works ridiculously long hours so I've spoken to you about the wedding more than her recently! Being in Taiwan, though, means she can get her dress amde to fit really cheaply. And because there's only one of her she can have something that specifically suits her and the material or anything don't have to match anyone else.

But colours...mmm.... not really sure, yet. I'll be in white, hubby-to-be will be in kilt which is mostly green and has a white line through it and the flowers will all be white with lots of green foliage. We've got a lovely modern church that's got lot of colour in it so white flowers work best and won't clash with the kilts and are nice and elegant.

The kind of bridesmaid dresses I keep seeing that catch my eye tend to be in various shades of pale, natural looking greens, in silk / satin (which should be easy to get in Taiwan, anyway). But I haven't actually asked her what she thinks of green yet! The only other choice would be a pale neutral kind of colour but that could be a bit "beige" if you see what I mean?

Where did you see the bags? I luuuuurrrvve handbags but don't know if I should carry one myself (I never go anywhere without one!) or let my bridesmaid carry the stuff.

Oops, just realised how non-money saving this is getting. I think I'll sidle over to the Money Savers Arms and start a girle chat in there. Meet you at the bar with a babycham? I'll get them in!
  • JohnBoy_3-2
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This is not a money saving tip as such, but just something that occurred to me (I got married last August).

We were very undecided originally about whether to get a video done of the whole day. We were worried about a video camera intruding on the day and the people.
    However, in the end we decided to get one done professionally, and it was money really well spent. The whole day passes by so quickly that, when it's over, it's so difficult to remember much about it. The video captures all of the really special moments and we never noticed the videoman the whole time he was there. We watch our video often (aaaaaaah!) and are so pleased we had one done.
    In terms of finding a reputable person to do this, the best way is to get a personal recommendation if possible. It is essential to meet and discuss the details with the videoman before the day itself so he/she knows what you want.

Whatever you decide, have a great wedding Ms Thrift
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family