Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello, don't know if this will help because it depends upon where you live..... There is a shop in Lichfield Staffordshire where they sell BhS wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, page boy outfits etc. Some of the goods are slight seconds, but the imperfections are clearly marked with an arrow on the garment, so you are aware of it. Most of them are not seconds and simply excess stock/ end of line. Typically a wedding dress would be about £60. It's a handy shop, but like I say, it depends upon where you live.

Hope this helps and good luck for the big day- when is it exactly as I haven't seen a date anywhere on the board?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all

Loads of hints here! My hints are:

* I've chosen a bridesmaid's dress instead of a "proper" wedding dress. It's ivory but simpler and not so "flouncy" - more in fitting with my personal style, the wedding location (civil ceremony in a hotel) and my budget!! It cost £130 (+ alterations).

* I'm not wearing "proper" wedding shoes either - er, when am I ever going to wear white court shoes again?! I have a pair of high-heeled sandals (bought from Clarks this summer for a different occasion) that will do nicely.

* Having the ceremony and reception in the same venue saves the need for transport.

* I'm making my own table decorations (candles and greenery from parents' garden), invitations, and decorating an M&S cake myself.

* I didn't have an engagement ring.

* I doubt we'll bother with favours.

I'm sure there's loads more ... will post again as and when they occur!
  • angelabird
    Options
    Flowers can be extremely expensive, if you're getting married in church sometimes you can arrange with other couples getting married on the same day to share the cost of decorating the church.

Also getting married a day or two after a big religious event usually ensures the church is well decorated.

If you have talented friends in this area you can go to a flower market and get your flowers cheaply. It's where the florists get their flowers and you are allowed to buy there too. We went to Birmingham flower market.

Good Luck
    Charles J
  • Taffy_Boy_3
    Options
    When I got married we used a sponge cake covered in chocolate served up with Ice cream for desert, much cheaper than paying for another course.

The bridesmaid shoes were bought cheap as they had dirt marks on them seeing as though the dresses were burnt orange this did not matter as we bought some clothes dye and dyed them looked like brand new and matched the dresses as well!!!
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Taffy_Boy_3
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention some really good web sites

https://www.weddingguide.co.uk
    https://www.confetti.co.uk
    https://www.hitched.co.uk

They have loads of tips and ideas, good luck, and all the best.

Make the most of the day as it goes really fast and is over before you know it.
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    not married / planning on it in the near future myself, but having been to the post-uni outbreak of 14 weddings in 13 months (and being a 5 times bridesmaid) i have some knowledge! :)

flowers - any good florist will work to your budget (as long as its realistic!) - what others say about friends helping is true - can be brilliant, but make sure they really can make them look decent - (i used to work in a florist so have been roped in many times - the most memorable being doing 6 bridesmaids bouquets and 20 buttonholes on the morning of the wedding!)

someone mentioned Debenhams - i'm pretty sure they still give a % (5 i think) of sales back in vouchers but bear in mind that a lot of their stuff is overpriced.

remember the main thing is to enjoy yourself both in the run-up & on the day & remember that its the marriage that's important at the end of the day, rather than the wedding day itself!

Rach :)
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello again Ms Thrift

I was in Boots today & the Max Factor counter has "free bridal makeovers" it had lots of other reasons for a fre emakeover that I can't recall, but I saw the bridal bit & thought of you, depends how much the idea of perching on a stool in the middle of Boots being painted appeals to you really ;)

mini
  • mistral_2
    mistral_2 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    My money saving tip is dont get married it usually ends in divorce and hurt and the man usually loses everything .
    Oh well happy thoughts for Autumn !
    'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is a cheerful thought!!

mini
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    And my money saving tip is to get married but not to get divorced....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure