We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• rainee
    rainee Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    yes no problems at all i've got my bouquet and dress plus the bridesmaid shoes all on ebay saved some money!
  • happy_t
    Options
    Has anyone been married in Greece or does anyone have any tips for getting married there? Planning to get married 2007. Greece a strong contender. All tips - money saving or otherwise are very much appreciated.

Love Happy_t xxx
  • Sonjblamonj
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement! My friend got married in Crete last year and it was fantastic as we spent a whole week getting to know her family and other friends so no ice-breaking to be done on the big day. They were there for 10 days before the wedding so they sampled a few tavernas before finding one with a courtyard that could be reserved for the 35 guests at the reception. The staff had never done a wedding before and were a bit late getting everyting ready but the food was fab and they were all really friendly - they let us stay really late playing music and dancing and even gave us free drinks! I don't know how much it cost, but must have been cheaper than anything similar in Britain! One thing I would say is to avoid getting married in July or August as the flights and accommodation will be more expensive and we were so hot on the day it was unbelievable. If you are having a civil ceremony you will be probably be getting married in the town hall at around 1 o'clock and you don't want guests standing around for photos in 30 degree heat! I am busy planning our wedding in Sardinia next September so I'll pass on any more tips I think of. We went on a reccy out there in June and sent out postcards as Save the Date cards - everyone loved them and they were only 20p each. Had to do my best writing though! Good luck!
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    I got married 2 years ago on a severe budget. We couldn't afford to have everyone there so asked that, instead of buying a present, they paid for their meals. Then no one worried about what to buy and it reduced the cost for us.

I also used ebay for favours, headdress and bridesmaids headdress, Oxfam for my shoes and bought my dress from a second hand shop - and we had the most fantastic day!
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi everyone

we had a wonderful wedding on sat... we reckon the cost was aroun £900 inlcuding clothes, church fees, reception, room for night etc.. havent done the full budget yet

it was a lovely day very relaxed having the recption at home...ok a bit more work but not too much as we hired a caterer for a few hours to finish off the food etc

for those in the planning stage good luck and enjoy yr days....see u in a few weeks cos we are off on honeymoon (ok i admit thats not included in the £900 but hey u cant always be good lol)

xxx
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Options
    Does anyone know about a chocolate fountain you can do at weddings, are they worth having and how much?

Kyle
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try https://www.passionforchocolate.co.uk

(and no, the company is nothing to do with me!!). I was at a corporate ball last month where these guys had a fountain and it was delicious! Unlimited chocolate and dips, for as long as you want it, they seem really flexible and send a person along to run the whole thing so the place is left clean and no kids misbehave (or adults lol).

We are seriously thinking of having one at our wedding.
  • Saffie_2
    Options
    We got married almost four years ago and it was great!! And we were just as skint then as we are now...

We thought we'd be a bit cheeky and involve the whole family and all our friends!! My dad paid for all the food and drink, made our cake and even got his sister to help him do the catering!! The same aunt also made my bouquet. We decorated the reception venue ourselves, (with help), the night before. The company i was working for at the time donated a gorgeous venue for the reception, (we only paid for the staff). A friend of my husband's is a photographer and donated his services as our pressie. Another friend of my husbands works for a posh car rental place and supplied our cars, (as well as driving me to the wedding!). A work colleague of mine is a DJ and did us a good deal on the music. I wore my mum's wedding dress, that my aunt altered for me. While another aunt got her friend, (a hairdresser), to do my hair. And to top it off we asked the guests that were left if they would make a donation towards our honeymoon, (in St. Lucia!), instead of buying us a present.

All in all we had the best day of our lives, and it was that much more special because we had all worked hard to get there.

My top wedding tip is to involve the family and friends, you never know what hidden talents they might be able to offer you...

:grouphug:
  • rainee
    rainee Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    i agree with saffie about getting the whole family involved
    my mum is a hairdresser my sister is good with makeup
    my sister in law and partner are doing a bbq plus she is helping me out with the flowers uncle running the 'bar' wine etc from tescos in calais cake from tescos (saving up the points)and still 45 weeks to go!!
    my dress from ebay so not doing too badly yet!!
  • alanalea
    alanalea Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, I don't know if this has been posted already (long long thread :) ) but i decided to buy a wedding dress off of Ebay Last month which arrived today. It is from Hong Kong, All handmade and a top top quality.

For this full white bridal dress with train, made of silk type material, i paid £9.99 (buy it now) with £30.00 P&P. (Delivary took about 4 weeks but worth waiting for)

I was expecting something really cheap and light, but it is really heavy and of the same quality i was looking at in wedding shops over here.

I did notice that from my sellers feedback that someone has brought about 12 different dresses ( possibly to sell on with a huge mark up?)

Anyway highly recommended for anyone who is getting married on a budget who wants a fairytale dress :)

PM me for the Sellers name i recommend (not my own i add lol)
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."...Miss piggy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport