Free online storage services

Options

Comments

• CriticalThinker
    Options
    Just before everyone *does* start actually using online storage, be aware that putting files, pictures and anything else on the Internet does mean that aside from the hacker risk (probably small) is the much more insidious issue of access by the US government, especially if you are not a US citizen. If you think I am being alarmist (which I accept it may sound like), then feel free to Google for, say, "us government access to cloud data" and even restrict your results to bbc.co.uk (which you may choose to trust more than most sites). And this is not something that has just become public because of Mr Snowdon in Russia, this is something that has been in place since at least 2008.

Of course, it is reasonable for people to point out that "they have nothing to hide" - indeed, but do those same people dress in full view of their neighbours in the morning? I'm simply saying it should be a matter of choice whether people allow others to access their information - by being aware that such access is possible, allows people to make more informed choices.
  • stfamanda
    Options
    Has anyone tried Amazon Glacier around here? It is said to be the cheapest cloud for archiving and backing up data?

Any thoughts on this?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Possibly I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was yet available in the UK.
  • misterwilson
    misterwilson Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2013 at 8:42AM
    Options
    Dropbox is good or maybe the best cloud service existing. But it provides so little discspase for free!
    Also there`s a good russian cloud service (Google "Yandex disc"). 10 Gb for free + 10 Gb for each referal. Use Google to translate site.
  • pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2013 at 8:59PM
    Options
    copy.com gets my vote, 20gB for free, and lets not forget that the company is owned by Barracuda - the security experts.
    I've just backed up 5gB's worth of my media - hope they look after it!

Paul
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Google drive lets you have files upto 10GB. The cheapest plan is 100GB at $4.99 a month.
  • real_sunfire
    Options
    The big big problem with most of these online storage or cloud storage services that many people have (including myself) is they only sync a specific folder.

Ok you can create sub-folders under that folder but what a lot of people want to is sync their current folders and files rather than having to move them or keep two copies.

Two services which will sync your existing folder structure:

1) BT Opencloud
    2) SugarSync - which I use roughly £50 (price is $74.99 USD) for 60Gb for a year.

Best Regards,
    Nick
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    why not just get one of these, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1714096.htm its a cloud drive also backsup 2Tb free to drop box also. and its £99 one off
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • artichi
    artichi Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2014 at 1:22PM
    Options
    With reference to the price vs storage comparison chart on the 'Cheapest paid-for storage' section of the MSE page.

I recently needed a copy of Office 2013, but instead opted for "Office 365 Home - 5 user - 1 year" at £61 on Amazon (£79.99 direct from Microsoft). This went against my normal policy of buying software outright and keeping it for 5+ years before upgrading.

I'm a long time Dropbox user but to my surprise Office 365 comes with 1TB of storage on OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). The storage is per user, so 5TB in total (each user needs a different Microsoft account). The users don't have to be in the same household (maybe it says so buried deep in the terms and conditions), so you can share the cost amongst friends. At the end of the year you can buy another code from Amazon and add it to your subscription or renew via Microsoft.

I think even at £61 per year for 1TB, that makes it very competitive compared to some of the other 200GB+ services. That's before you factor having the latest Outlook, Word, Excel, etc on up to 5 PCs, Macs, plus another 5 tablets or phone. They also throw in 60 mins of Skype national/international calls a month, though that's not much use for me.

Other positives: it behaves much the same way as Dropbox on PCs and Macs, but on Windows 8.1 PCs it integrates even better.

The negatives: each individual file needs to be less than 4GB and secondly their iOS app has a few bugs that need an update.

You can use two-step verification for log in. But as many have said before, I would't store anything confidential on any remote service.

I hope that helps some of you.
  • artichi
    artichi Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2014 at 1:20PM
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    why not just get one of these, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1714096.htm its a cloud drive also backsup 2Tb free to drop box also. and its £99 one off

Just to highlight that this isn't a true cloud based service, it's just WD jumping on the cloud buzz word. Therefore it doesn't offer protection in the event of fire or theft. It can connect to a Dropbox account, but only up to storage limit set to your own Dropbox capacity (2GB for free).

Secondly, I believe it's a single hard drive unit, so when that drive fails there is no mirrored drive as a back up. It can be said that it's not a case of 'if' a hard drive will fail, but 'when'. WD are no better than the other manufacturers when it comes to drive failures.

For storage of music and movies that can be replaced (possibly at a cost), then this is a good solution, with the added benefit of being able to stream certain compatible files to other devices around the home. But for backing up a PC at the same location with photos, videos and files it doesn't offer much of a safety net. Used in conjunction with a cloud based service it would work.

If you really want to avoid cloud based services, then a possible set up would be a real-time backup from a PC to a dual drive NAS (RAID) (free software called QuickShadow is very good for that), with a scheduled daily backup to an external hard drive connected to the NAS via a USB cable. Keep a second external hard drive and give one to a friend to keep off site, and swap hard drives once a month or whenever you see them. That way you limit your loses to the last month or so of data. 1TB external hard drives are around £50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure