Problem with Halfords

Hi

Having a bit of problems with halfords at the moment. Bought a cycle from them approx 24 months ago. To be honest the brakes were never 100% but I ended up hanging it on the wall in our garage.

Needless to say recently I have started cycling and tried my hardest to adjust the brakes. The front and back completly failed on me so I booked the bike into halfords for a brake service.

This was done and one of their cycle engineers phoned me to say he had adjusted the brakes as best he could. They were not perfect but he said it was a cheap bike with cheap brakes and there was nothing else he could do. I collected the bike and although they now slow the bike down there is no way i could stop quickly or even go off road on this 'mountain bike'

I contacted Halfords customer services about this problem and have just been fobbed off by them and they suggested the brakes just need to be 'bedded in' I informed them I have cycled over 12 miles with the brakes now and they are no better. They have now stopped replying to my emails and apart from going to their shop and telling all their potential customers what has happend I am at a loss of what to do now.

Any suggestions????

Comments

• Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Ride a few more miles, brake a lot and bed them in.

Don't be fobed off but then again 12 miles in 2 years.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    hagggis wrote: »
    This was done and one of their cycle engineers phoned me

They're not "engineers", Brunel didn't carry a bicycle pump for blowing up flat tyres and Edison didn't wander about with a spanner, tightening up bicycle pedals between developing the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the incandescent light bulb.

Engineers don't fix phone lines, install satellite dishes, repair washing machines, fit tyres or paint post boxes with gold paint.

I swear, much more of this and im moving to Germany, where the title of engineer actually means something!!!!!!! :(
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    They're not "engineers", Brunel didn't carry a bicycle pump for blowing up flat tyres and Edison didn't wander about with a spanner, tightening up bicycle pedals between developing the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the incandescent light bulb.

Engineers don't fix phone lines, install satellite dishes, repair washing machines, fit tyres or paint post boxes with gold paint.

I swear, much more of this and im moving to Germany, where the title of engineer actually means something!!!!!!! :(

HEAR HEAR!!

Neither are the monkeys who fit parts in a garage. My father was an engineer, he used to design, draw and build prototype engines from scratch, later on in life he built prototype Gas Tubine sets. he was an engineer, he coudl calculate the lif on a wing section at a specific airspeed using a slide rule. Like yo usay, engineers do not fix cars or bikes. Thats what fitters do. And the people who work in garages are increasingly only fitters.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • Also remember even with disc brakes you wont immediately stop (although they are incredibly effective especially in the wet) and older rim type brakes will not stop you immediately either. Get someone who cycles a lot to try it out and see what they think.

You would however expect them to work, cheap or not.
  • A good quality bike with good quality tyres and brakes will cost anything from £600 upwards.

You can buy cheap cr*p bikes with cr*p brakes and tyres from about £60 upwards.

Which one is yours?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • A good quality bike with good quality tyres and brakes will cost anything from £600 upwards.

You can buy cheap cr*p bikes with cr*p brakes and tyres from about £60 upwards.

Which one is yours?

Doesnt mater.

Sale of Goods Act, the item must be:

-as described
    -of merchantable quality
    -fit for the purpose intended

If it isnt your entitled to a refund.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • Doesnt mater.

-as described
    -of merchantable quality

I very much doubt that, after two years.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • LincolnshireYokel
    LincolnshireYokel Posts: 764 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2012 at 11:07AM
    I very much doubt that, after two years.

I recall there is EU legislation that forces g'tees for up to six years.

There you go, read that, it goes into it a bit deeper

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/eu-2-year-guarantee-sales-of-goods-act-gives-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/
  • I recall there is EU legislation that forces g'tees for up to six years.

There you go, read that, it goes into it a bit deeper

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/eu-2-year-guarantee-sales-of-goods-act-gives-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

Most interesting.

Since when has a bicycle been 'white goods' or 'an appliance'? (The clue is in the words of the website you quote).
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Doesnt mater.

-as described
    -of merchantable quality

would normally be with you, but not after 2 years

OP what is the make and model, i am guessing an Apollo which are cheap and nasty (for the most part), brakes are not going to be great
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure