PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting fridges delIvered to flats with no lift

Options

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They should use something like this:
    http://www.sano-stair-climber.com/products/liftkar-sal
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tbs624 wrote: »
    You are right that the OP should check in advance. Clearly your personal experience is at odds with a couple of "reviewers" on the appliances online site who had specifically mentioned delivery , with one specifically referring to being on the 3rd floor and there being no lift IIRC:)

It may be because it was an American fridge-freezer not a normal fridge-freezer as when I used to live in a 3rd floor flat with no lift some companies stipulated they wouldn't carry heavy items up lots of flights of stairs but actually will if the item isn't too heavy and the stairs aren't too narrow.

For example Argos use to say they wouldn't carry any furniture up more than 2 flights of stairs but happily carried heavy office furniture up for me with no complaint when there were 6 flights (2 per floor) and 2 people were required to do it.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • maunders
    Options
    Ordered with boots who said it would be ok. Just had a call from the delivery company saying they can only take washing
    Machine up 6 steps! So I have to cancel that then. Any other recommendations?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Don't you have any local independent retailers where you are? That's where I'd be carrying out my enquiries.
  • PurplePow
    PurplePow Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Maunders - Did you have any luck?

I posted in this thread about Boots. Well, our washing machine has broke and with it being about 10 year old we're getting a new one. We also live on a third floor flat with no lift. Just ordered from Appliances Online but said they won't deliver up more than 26 steps or something. I went to cancel and happened to mention Boots and they said they use the same courier. I've kept my order for Saturday and going to see what happens but after seeing your post not holding out much luck now.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might try Amazon, their customer service is excellent and they use several different couriers.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    Options
    The Queen's Head normally works

i.e. her picture on a blue piece of paper with £20 written on it :)
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Most will do it as long as you warn them before hand.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    Options
    Try Comet.....

oh, hang on...... :A
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • Teresa_Green
    Options
    Just wanted to add to this thread having found it useful when deciding to order new appliances (Washing Machine, Fridge Freezer) for delivery to an upstairs flat (no lift).

Ordered from Appliances Online, there is a page of questions following placing your order about access - stairs, turns in stairs, restricted access e.g. scaffolding?!

I filled in the above page and also phoned them. Last time I bought a new Washing Machine was from Comet about seven years ago. Made sure I mentioned about being an upstairs flat, no lift. They said they would send a two person delivery team, one turned up and he practically dragged the thing upstairs - no wonder it didn't last... I meant the machine...

Anyway, back to today there were two delivery men, they said they knew it was a flat in advance but don't always get told... I relayed my story as above. They looked like this :eek: and then :rotfl:as there are two lots of stairs with a turn in between leading up to my flat.

They had one of those trolleys someone posted upthread and did a fantastic job!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport