Which Fund

Options
I'm looking to invest my 7k for this year. I currently have Jupiter Emerging European (Which is doing well) and New Star Technology (which is a bit of a dog). I'm looking for 5yrs + investment and something medium risk with good growth prospects. I like the look of Jupiter Merlin Worldwide.

Has anybody got any recs and why?

Comments

• MickKnipfler
    MickKnipfler Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    Options
    No offers?
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

can't give you any advice, but can add my own ideas.

A bit like you I have Jupiter European Special Situations, which took a wee while to get going, but is looking ok now, + 82%, also Artemis New Enterprises, - 24%, a bit of a dog as you say, these technology funds are a hit or a miss.

Anyway for next year I was thinking of a bit of a gamble, either, gold (Blackrock Merrill Lynch Gold and General), commodities (JP Morgan Natural Resources) or one of the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) funds, just for a bit of fun, I've already got quite a good spread.

Will need to decide over the weekend.
  • MickKnipfler
    Options
    I had Jupiter Special Sits and JFIT but swapped them both for Jupiter Emerging European which has gone great guns.

The New Star I originally bought as Aberdeen technology. I bought in in 1997/8 I think. I invested £1,500 whuch shot up to about £8k.....I was in for the long term though and in now sitting at abot £1,350.....

I'm looking to invest 14k between my partner and myself this week. I also have a self select ISA with stand alone FTSE shares in and some AIM listed shares too. I'm tempted by Jupiter Merlin Global and Gartmore China (I like something exciting but not suicidal!?
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

well, I was thiinking that as well, I've already got UK smaller, growth, European smaller, growth, Pacific, Technology, never really fancied America or Japan, so will try one of the ones I mentioned earlier.

Don't mind a bit of a gamble, can afford to wait.
  • MickKnipfler
    Options
    I guess it's finding the difference between a gamble and an educated guess. A few of my AIM stocks are in mining so I wouldn't want to over expose on them.

I'd be interested to hear any other views. Also on any recs in terms of discount brokers. I've used Elson in the past and they've always been OK.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

well I tend to use this firm, you get initial discount, and cash back, you can transfer all your previous if you wish, watch though some funds charge you to transfer out, so you will need to work out if it is worth your while,

Mind you it's handy to keep everything in the one place.
  • MickKnipfler
    Options
    Thanks for that.

Do you know, for my partner's ISA, do the funds need to come from her account or is it OK from my account? I thought I saw somewhere that they need to come from her account
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

it would need to come from your partener's ISA, as you or partener has to use individual Nationl Insurance numbers.
  • MickKnipfler
    Options
    Sorry, I meant current account for new investment
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sure it wouldn't matter whose name is on the cheque.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure