Spill the beans... on cheap, nutritious back to school lunchboxes

Comments

• Nzmegs what a disappointing comment:-

"Don't give them wheat based products like cakes, bread, wraps, rolls and the like. You are setting them up for diabetes and stomach complaints".

I have two daughters with type 1 diabetes (type 1 mainly affecting children) and it certainly wasn't because they ate wheat based products it's because their pancreas stopped working nothing to do with diet and there was nothing they could do to prevent it!!!!

Also they can eat everything nothing is off limits as long as they count the carbs in the foods, really makes me angry reading comments like these do your research and you will see the differences between type 1 and type 2 diabetes
  • gingin wrote: »
    I purchased a mini thermos a few years ago, DD takes hers every day.
    When I was younger in winter my Dad used to pack me up a Thermos with a jacket potato wrapped in foil inside! It used to stay hot until lunch and was brilliant! :j

They sound like great ideas - sadly the food police at DS's primary don't allow any hot food/thermos flasks due to health & safety...

They also don't allow chocolate in any shape or form - so HM choc cookies/muffins aren't allowed & neither are the cereal bars you can buy with choc chips in (not that I feed my kids chocolate all day but I'm a fan of the Weetabix Oatybars as they have much more fibre than others - not allowed)...

Last year they banned any type of food that came in a packet (I kid you not) as they felt they were having problems with rubbish in the school playground. So no crisps, cheese strings, non-choc cereal bars.... As they always send all the rubbish home with each child in their lunchbox I felt this was a little extreme :rotfl:

I'm all for giving my kids a healthy lunch, but if I've not had time to make my own flapjacks (or they've burnt again :D) then I don't want to worrying that I'll be picked up by the head at home time. (Yes, she does comment in the playground in front of other parents as she says the "shame factor" works.)

My DS's lunchbox is also left on a shelf that sits in full sunlight all day & even if I put 2 ice thingys in by lunchtime his food is usually warm so I'm reluctant to put chicken etc. in. He does love egg, but I was asked to stop this as one of the MDS ladies can't stand the smell of egg :rotfl:

Good job he likes cheese really, & I'm glad he's off to high school next year & he can buy his own!

Sorry no fab ideas - just wanted to point out that some schools can be less helpful than others. What did make me laugh though was what they fed my DS when he had free school meals a few years ago - white bread, cheap margarine, wafer ham sandwiches, a cake, 2 biscuits, a tiny yogurt or sometimes some fruit :rotfl:
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Gardenia, that really is health and safety gone mad. By lunch time thermos flasks have had food in them for 4 hours at least and are in no way dangerous. DD's is warm at best by lunch time and I do my very best to get it as hot as possible so it retains the heat. I'd kick up such a fuss if dd was denied hers, it's the perfect way of giving them warm, nutritious food without having to resort to poor quality and expensive school meals.
  • kas65uk
    kas65uk Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow some schools are unhelpful ! My youngest's school dinners are much improved and he prefers them. The school doesn't allow crisps or sweets in pack-ups which seems fair enough.

Don't mean to be a food nazi but can I remind people not to put nuts or nut products in their pack-ups. My young nephew nearly died last year after sudden onset of anaphylactic shock. He now has an epi-pen as a lot of kids do, but so many kids have nut allergies now, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Some good pack up ideas here though, thanks to posters :)
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    kas65uk wrote: »
    Wow some schools are unhelpful ! My youngest's school dinners are much improved and he prefers them. The school doesn't allow crisps or sweets in pack-ups which seems fair enough.

Don't mean to be a food nazi but can I remind people not to put nuts or nut products in their pack-ups. My young nephew nearly died last year after sudden onset of anaphylactic shock. He now has an epi-pen as a lot of kids do, but so many kids have nut allergies now, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Some good pack up ideas here though, thanks to posters :)

A child with peanut allergy can avoid the tree nuts to be on the safe side, but it's overkill for all schoolchildren to avoid such a healthy food group just in case one child has a previously undiagnosed rare anaphylactic reaction. If you were to do that you'd also ban the other 'common' food triggers for severe allergic reactions: milk, eggs, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish which doesn't actually leave you with much of a packed lunch. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I am not a parent, but I do pack the other half with a small pot of hummus, celery and carrot sticks and some crackers. He enjoys it as its a change to the usual wraps and sarnies! :):)
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    I make batches of fairy cakes and freeze them, then they are easy to just pop in their lunch boxes in the morning. I also do the same with sandwiches, make a load of them at the weekend with different fillings and then that is all 4 children sorted for the week :)

They also have a yogurt, frubes get frozen in the summer, some fruit - sometimes a little pot with strawberries and grapes and another pot with cherry tomatoes in, my eldest loves a big pot of mixed salad.

I just see what is on offer at the shops, get reduced bread for the sandwiches too.
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
  • my eldest has cafeteria so no problem there but the little one is starting school next week so packed lunches are a big adventure for her lol

we've been practicing and we'll prob go with a sandwich (cheese/ham/peanut butter/honey/jam/choc spread) & a cake/cereal bar in the bottom of her box then yogurt, grapes, raisins in the top. maybe a babybel depending on what sandwich filling she has & perhaps some cucumber slices. she'll take juice made up at home.

all her own choices & she's going to help make it the night before.

lou x
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My son's school has a "no crisps or chocolate" rule for the lunchboxes. They have also introduced a "no nuts" rule because there is a child with a severe allergy.

I usually go for the boring old sandwich, fruit and yoghurt combo, which seems to go down well enough. He also takes in a snack for when he is at the childminder in the afternoon, which is usually something like raisins or mini-cheddars.
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    I always try to have a tub of mini breadsticks in the cupboard , so when I run out of bread for sandwiches (or is that just me) I can pop a handfull of those in a pot & another tub with some philly light or similar cream cheese. The click & lock plastic tub's are also great for little fingers to open.
    Booo!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport