Spill the beans... on cheap, nutritious back to school lunchboxes

14567810»

Comments

• jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sassyblue wrote: »
    Agree. I never refrigerate tomatoes, ours are late too we've only had 2 this year!

Out of home grown season l only buy baby plum tomatoes, some tomatoes from the supermarket taste of raw meat to me. _pale_

yuck, really? I like tomatoes from the garden, and I like grilled tomatoes but other than that they don't taste of much at all, they're just 'meh'.
    52% tight
  • bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sassyblue wrote: »
    Without turning the thread into another b*tch fest, l also use metal drinking bottles instead of plastic.

IMO there's a worry with plastic bottles, sure only a tiny worry BUT if your child is going to drink from one 5 days a week during school times it's a bigger risk. Plus the metal ones last longer.

Our DS is at a school where they're only allowed to drink water during lessons.[/QUOTE

having read about the harmful effects of plastic bottles (it might only be a small risk but not one I really want to take) I decided to look at stainless steel bottles for my boys. "Oh no" they said, "the bottles have to be clear":mad: I am finding it really hard to find clear BPA free bottles. The only ones I can find are 'bobble' ones with a filter (which of course will need to be replaced so not very mse). Does anyone know where I can I find clear BPA free bottles.
    TIA
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Does it have to be clear, or can it just be see-through? (I can't remember the proper word for that!). I've bought a grey see-through Thermos bottle from Tesco. You'd be able to tell if the liquid wasn't water. I don't know why they have that rule anyway, because people bring flavoured water. It's BPA-free, and cost around £4.

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/products/Thermos-Hydro-Active-Sports-Bottle-Charcoal-450ml/Back-to-School/products/3843
    52% tight
  • bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jellyhead wrote: »
    Does it have to be clear, or can it just be see-through? (I can't remember the proper word for that!). I've bought a grey see-through Thermos bottle from Tesco. You'd be able to tell if the liquid wasn't water. I don't know why they have that rule anyway, because people bring flavoured water. It's BPA-free, and cost around £4.

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/products/Thermos-Hydro-Active-Sports-Bottle-Charcoal-450ml/Back-to-School/products/3843

thank you! it has to be clear so that the teachers can see what they have in it - secondary school children will try anything:D

I will have a look at the thermos one and will probably buy one for home use if they can't use it for school.
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family