Breadmakers - are they worth it?

edited 28 August 2012 at 6:10PM in Old Style MoneySaving
53 replies 59.9K views

Replies

• Sui_GenerisSui_Generis Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Different model, but my panny's blade is tight to the spindle and the paddle and spindle are different metals. 30% play seems an awful lot to me.

I'd be nipping down to the shops to find one on display to check if it is standard if it were mine.

SP

Agreed, just need to find the time. None in the supermarket yesterday unfortunately.
  • I started reading Pineapples post on the 22nd August and followed all the posts through to date - then decided to join so I could add my own two pennyworth.

If time is short - use a BM -if it's not then make by hand but either way you will be in control of what you are eating!

But oh you lucky lucky people agonising over which makers, millers or types of, flour to use. Here in Indonesia all the breads, and rolls, are based on a sweet, airy, no substance dough of dubious content so making your own is a no brainer, even though your choice of flours are "green bag, blue bag, light blue bag - labelled for bread, for cakes and for various!!". No indication of make-up strength or anything else, so experimentation is the name of the game and the best move I made was to bring my old Goodman BM back with me on one of my early trips back to the UK. Now I play around at least two or three times a week trying out adapted recipes for breads and cakes (the local cakes here taste similar to the bread!!) and have an avid local following wanting to see what "the mad Bule" has come up with.

No problem proving but keeping-length would be an issue here if there was any left after two days. The humidity actually seems to speed up the drying out process and I have yet to make successful toast - one that is soft of the inside - I end up with a thick Melba but it makes for good croutons.

But for all the frustrations I suffer with getting hold of ingredients the BM is an absolute boon - as experimentation has become the name of the game and is great fun - and I'm totally in control of what else (apart from the flour), and in what quantities, goes into my bread and cakes including fresh herbs and fruit from the garden - banana and oregano bread is a really interesting blend, as is a gooey papaya and pineapple "bread cake".

But having said all that - when I get back to the UK I ferret out traditional flour millers products and use up a good part of my luggage allowance taking their flours "on holiday" just to savour "real, hand made bread" for a while when I get back.

Anyone have any off-the-wall recipes that might work here?

Good kneading - even if you are only listening and watching
  • Hi we have a morphy richards fast bake bread maker. Not been used for a year or so. With the price of bread in supermarkets today (tried value one's and cant eat them) we have decided to bake our own again. We usually buy the 50/50 bread. Has anyone got a recipe for this sort of bread?
  • About 5 years ago, just before I was about to buy a Panasonic BM on offer at Amazon, I decided that I would bake some bread by hand... 5 years later, with some disasters but mostly incredible tasting bread, I think I made the right decision. We make different breads and we always make a soda bread with seeds that we can devour straight away.

If you are worried about the kneading/proving process, here's an interesting take on the home-made bread process...

No-Knead Bread

Yes, a BM may be simpler but nothing beats the experience of baking by hand!
  • A breadmaker can take considerably less time to use.
    Once you have got the process right, you can make a loaf of bread in a little over a minute, and have it come out right every time, with no cleanup.
    This can help you to do it more often.
  • Sui_GenerisSui_Generis Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd update on thie issue about the paddle above - well in the end i managed to get to JL and checked out their models and they were exactly the same. So I bit the bullet and started using it and so far no problem and I can happily add my endorsement to the legions of very satisfied Panasonic users. It simply can't be faulted. Also it will make a huge difference through winter when my kitchen is too cold for effective BM.

Now does anyone know where I can get "powdered" pectin for jam making as barely anyone has even the liquid variety.

Would appreciate any useful links you may have that link to recipes for the Panny (; Seem to recall a whole website a while back but can't find it now.
  • I have a Panasonic breadmaker and baked all our bread in it for several years. It's also good for just doing the kneading/proving if you want to make something fancier, or rolls. However, as we now eat a wholemeal wheat/rye loaf, I find it easier and quicker to make it by hand / in the oven - no kneading required. The Grant loaf as mentioned by Chipp is also very easy to do by hand. I make two large loaves and put one in the freezer. Happy to supply a recipe if anyone wants it, very tasty.

Chipp, the breadmaker does not need fat at all - can make a loaf just with flour, yeast, salt and water, no problem.

Hi mate

If you used it for two years I'm sure it can't be bad, I know that Panasonic invented them.

Which one is your model, is it still produced?

I never had a breadmaker before, I am really curious how would be to have one. I'm trying to avoid situations like last evening when my wife send me to buy some bread and apparently I didn't get the right one - it had seeds but not the right ones...
  • jinggu wrote: »
    Flour milling machine exists friction...
    Floury :spam:
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but MIL has - among other FAB gifts - given me a top of the range Panasonic breadmaker. I'm eager to get going but can anyone tell me where I can find the cheapest bread flour? I think I read somewhere that some of you use Basics flour to good effect but I cant remember how or what the consensus was!!
  • ariba10ariba10 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lidl and Aldi sell Strong Flour that is used in bread making.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides