Breadmakers - are they worth it?

12346»

Comments

• Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but MIL has - among other FAB gifts - given me a top of the range Panasonic breadmaker. I'm eager to get going but can anyone tell me where I can find the cheapest bread flour? I think I read somewhere that some of you use Basics flour to good effect but I cant remember how or what the consensus was!!

Depends on what you want - plain strong white and brown flour - I've found Sainsbury the cheapest for the past 6 months. But if you want speciality flours (I buy granary and mix it with plain) then Morrison seems the best.

I have read its possible to buy larger quantity sacks 5-10Kg direct from manufacturers.

I use my Panasonic 4/5 times a week, love it. Haven't bought loaves for 5 years this month.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Su! Going to sainsbobs tonight.

We love seeded but I will try a white with some sunflower seeds (already in cupboard) tonight. So excited!! We have HM pizzas planned of saturday.
  • Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Thanks Su! Going to sainsbobs tonight.

We love seeded but I will try a white with some sunflower seeds (already in cupboard) tonight. So excited!! We have HM pizzas planned of saturday.

I've tried Allinsons seeded mixture but found it too moist, flavour good though.

Even the white tastes good in the Panasonic. I tend to bake in the evening as fresh bread is too "fresh" if you time it for the morning. It consolidates nicely overnight.

Oh and I've never tried the quick bake but the regular programs are excellent. Buy your yeast in the small tins (~£1.20 in Tesco) rather than sachets.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport