Breadmakers - are they worth it?

Comments

• bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    But can't you choose the ingredients you use in any breadmaker? I've only used the current one, so I don't know how 'touchy' others are. We started with the recommended recipe, and have gradually changed it to suit ourselves, including limiting the amount of salt and sugar.
  • bearcub wrote: »
    But can't you choose the ingredients you use in any breadmaker? I've only used the current one, so I don't know how 'touchy' others are. We started with the recommended recipe, and have gradually changed it to suit ourselves, including limiting the amount of salt and sugar.

I think she meant that you know exactly what's in it as opposed to a shop bought loaf that might have additives,preservatives,palm oil or whatever in it.

This is one reason I like making my own bread as I believe it's a better quality loaf,not full of e numbers etc.
  • tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    About finding a warm place for the dough to rise: a Greek friend puts it in their bed as soon as they get up. I watched her take it out from under the bedclothes, and put it into her woodfired brick bread oven outside.

Personally, I would hate to have a breadmaker. I have been obliged to give them as requested wedding presents to two daughters and a young friend, and in my daughters' cases, they are never used now. The one daughter who regularly makes bread, as I do, does it by hand.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 5:31PM
    I'm also on my second breadmaker as having had a Breville for many years I decided to get a new one last year and after considerable research got the Panasonic SD2501 with nut dispenser from Amazon.

It's great and I use it for almost all our bread - unless we're away or I forget to put it on. I like the various wholegrain and mixed grain flours - they say on the bag whether to use a basic/white or wholemeal setting and recipe.

Lakeland do a gadget for cutting even slices which I should invest in but it also helps to leave the bread to cool properly.
  • chipp
    chipp Posts: 141
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not a kitchen gadgety-type person but think I might treat myself, and if I do it will be to the Pan that everyone seems to be raving about.

However before I do, a few questions:

1. Water - other than by trial and error, given that all flours behave differently, how do you decide how much if you're not using the recipe given on the flour bag? When making bread by hand you just add it till it feels/looks right but from what I've been reading about breadmakers you measure everything accurately and close the lid. The recipe on the flour I normally use includes fat, which I would want to leave out.

2. Are all the parts that need washing after every use dishwasher safe or will I have to hand-wash?

3. So far I've not found any dimensions, just a warning that when perched on a normal kitchen worktop the Pan won't fit under wall cupboards. Is this just because of opening the lid? I can't believe it's really that tall, you'd need a stepladder to see inside it!
    If you can't think of anything nice to write, say nothing. Rudeness isn't clever.
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    chipp wrote: »
    I'm not a kitchen gadgety-type person but think I might treat myself, and if I do it will be to the Pan that everyone seems to be raving about.

However before I do, a few questions:

1. Water - other than by trial and error, given that all flours behave differently, how do you decide how much if you're not using the recipe given on the flour bag? When making bread by hand you just add it till it feels/looks right but from what I've been reading about breadmakers you measure everything accurately and close the lid. The recipe on the flour I normally use includes fat, which I would want to leave out. Pretty much trial and error, but it doesn't vary that much and you can always add more water as it mixes (I am attuned to the sound of mine as it mixes and kneads so I can always tell if it needs a little more water or flour for the right consistency)

2. Are all the parts that need washing after every use dishwasher safe or will I have to hand-wash? I guess it depends on the model. mine aren't but it is only a small paddle and the bread tin, so no hardship to wash by hand.

3. So far I've not found any dimensions, just a warning that when perched on a normal kitchen worktop the Pan won't fit under wall cupboards. Is this just because of opening the lid? I can't believe it's really that tall, you'd need a stepladder to see inside it! You won't be able to open the lid, if it is under a normal height wall cupboard. It would fit under it for storage if you wanted though.

Please see in-line.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • Phuddles
    Phuddles Posts: 26 Forumite
    I've had a breadmaker for over 10 years (on my 3rd or 4th one). It was the list of ingredients on a bought chicken salad sandwich that really made me go for one, simple filling and 2" list of what was in the bread! I have no idea (bad Moneysaver) whether it is cheaper or not to make my own, I just prefer knowing what goes in the bread. I used to make my own bread by hand when I lived overseas - they had brought out a 'National loaf' which was grey and horrid. I used to prove the dough by putting it in a covered bowl in the back seat of my car in the sunshine - happy days!

I also use fresh bread for the first couple of days, then toast, also I grate the leftovers and pop them in the oven when it has just been switched off and use as toasted breadcrumbs for fish or chicken. I also make croutons with the older bread, cubed, drizzled with olive oil & black pepper or Parmesan cheese and baked for a few minutes. (I have a combi microwave so don't have to use the main oven for things like this).
  • Just bought the Panny 2500 and as you have such long experience can you tell me if this is correct?

I've unpacked and found the paddle flops about on the centre spigot - there's about 30deg of play in it. My previous BM had a tightly fitting paddle is the Panasonic defective? I can't see this lasting long, surely it should fit tightly on the spigot?

Thanks

The paddle is intended to be loose on the spindle. This is to allow it to come off after making bread and cooked dough is trapped between the paddle and spindle. The looseness stops the paddle being 'glued' on by the set dough. Because of the different metals in paddle and spindle heat would create problems in the fit if it started of tight.
  • Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Segedunum wrote: »
    The paddle is intended to be loose on the spindle. This is to allow it to come off after making bread and cooked dough is trapped between the paddle and spindle. The looseness stops the paddle being 'glued' on by the set dough. Because of the different metals in paddle and spindle heat would create problems in the fit if it started of tight.

Thanks for the reply. It does seem odd though, I can see the steel spindle destroying the light alloy paddle fairly quickly. My old BM was a very snug fit and I had no problems with that the past 3 years.

Quite fancy trying the jam making where's the best place to get pectin? My local supermarkets don't stock it.

Finally, does anyone know of any Panasonic BM recipe sites that are good? Quite fancy extending the repertoire now ;)
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Different model, but my panny's blade is tight to the spindle and the paddle and spindle are different metals. 30% play seems an awful lot to me.

I'd be nipping down to the shops to find one on display to check if it is standard if it were mine.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure