We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should neighbour have come through my side of wall?

Options

Comments

• southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry, but hubby is a plumber and says that there is nothing wrong with running gas pipes on an external wall, but when passing through a cavity wall it should be sleeved in a copper pipe one size larger than the diameter of the pipe carrying the gas to ensure that any leakage of gas cannot enter the cavity and cause a build up of gas, plastic waste pipe is not suitable for this useage as it is permeable:)

It's ok you don't have to be sorry that your hubby is a plumber it's quite a good trade :D, however what you might want to be sorry about is that he is wrong, the gas pipe is sleeved through a cavity wall to protect it from movement & the corrosive nature of the bricks & morter used in said wall, it is as you quite rightly point out also to prevent any gas leaking from the pipe filling up the cavity, which is why the sleeve should be sealed on the inside only & not the outside to allow any gas to escape & plastic waste pipe is perfectly acceptable for this purpose, if he doesn't believe me get him to phone gas safe & check.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • diywhynot
    diywhynot Posts: 742 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 7:12AM
    Options
    Re: gas supply. See BS 6891 Section 8. Available free online. TB999 on GSR has relevant links.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2012 at 9:55AM
    Options
    Thanks DIYWN. I've had a look but haven't found anything (not really sure what I'm looking for). What page of the pdf is the link on, or could you possibly link to it for me? Many thanks.

ETA: I am assuming that your reply was meant for me as you have not quoted anyone. If not can you (or someone) let me know it's not relevant to me.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh you really are cheek by jowl at the back there!
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    diywhynot wrote: »
    Re: gas supply. See BS 6891 Section 8. Available free online. TB999 on GSR has relevant links.

ok i'll play along, could you please give us some more info as to the point you are making & to what it is in regard to ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    can the Land Registry supply you with information on things like walls, etc??? everything to do with your property is on the deeds, surely??
  • TomsMom
    Options
    can the Land Registry supply you with information on things like walls, etc??? everything to do with your property is on the deeds, surely??

I have the deeds and plan for the house, which shows all the properties. Trouble is the properties are just outlined and it doesn't show who owns which wall, any party walls, etc. I took everything with me to the solicitors yesterday, including deeds/conveyances going back to the 1920s, and it didn't really tell the solicitor whose wall it was. All previous plans are the same as the one I was given upon completion of purchase, just outlines around the properties. It was his guess that the wall is mine, and his guess that a judge would probably rule it is mine because of my upper storeys. He reckoned a judge would say that because the upper storeys are mine then the lower storey where neighbour is joined would not be shared. I obviously don't want to take it that far.

The solicitor thinks knowing whether my house was built first and his added later would help. I am planning to go to where the archives are kept to see if I can find out any more.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a real shot in the dark, but it's free.

I don't know if you've mentioned or know approximately how old your house is - but if you suspect it may be pre 1881 it would be listed here. If his was built after it won't be.
  • TomsMom
    Options
    loracan1 wrote: »
    This is a real shot in the dark, but it's free.

I don't know if you've mentioned or know approximately how old your house is - but if you suspect it may be pre 1881 it would be listed here. If his was built after it won't be.

Thanks. I've tried but not getting anywhere. I have a legal charge between a past owner and a bank, detailing mortgages. The first entry connected to the properties seems to be 1871, some kind of Statutory Declaration. These properties seem to originally have been a laundry, a bakehouse and a couple of cottages. Mine is part of the laundry I believe. Therefore it wouldn't have been a dwelling until much later. I have a Conveyance dated 1956 still referring to the bakehouse so it may be that it was some time after then that the premises were converted into dwellings.

I will try the archives, car not playing at the moment as it waiting to have the tyres sorted but hopefully sometime next week I will be mobile again and can get to the offices and check up.

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated, just a shame they were originally business premises. I have googled the name of the business but nothing is coming up.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    I'm probably saying the obvious, but you never know. The censuses go back to 1841, although you have to pay to access them. I think the Ancestry web site also has some old documents.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family