We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should neighbour have come through my side of wall?

Options

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    A Bucket of water casually discarded via said opening would probably sort that out.

I don't think there are rules but there is such a thing as common courtesy which he seems to be lacking.

Yes that deck is too high.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Keystone. Yes, definitely lacking in common courtesy.

Unfortunately, although the maximum height for decking in England is 12", we are in Wales and there is no max height as such, just the 50 cubic metre rule in a conservation area such as ours.
    That decking is at the same level as other neighbour's bedroom windows, and anyone on it can look up straight into her kitchen and living room windows on the first floor as well.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be having a word with the council over the new windows he seems to have put in. From his past performance, it would be interesting to see if they have been signed off to part L.
  • mikey72
    Options
    As well as the 50 cubic metres, you have the
    "No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings."
    rule.

The deckng looks fairly large, and a fixed bbq would add to that as well.

Where's the road, compared to the gate?

"No extension should be closer to a highway than 20 metres, or closer than the original dwelling, whichever is nearer. "
  • TomsMom
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    I'd be having a word with the council over the new windows he seems to have put in. From his past performance, it would be interesting to see if they have been signed off to part L.

Ooooooooooh, what's part L? :D

Actually, there is a note on the BCO's desk (he's away 'till Friday) with some things for him to check, and the windows are on that list. Apparently, because Mr R. Sole installed them himself rather than a FENSA registered firm, then planning permission should have been sought. Looks like PP was not sought according to the council's website.
  • mikey72
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    Ooooooooooh, what's part L? :D

Actually, there is a note on the BCO's desk (he's away 'till Friday) with some things for him to check, and the windows are on that list. Apparently, because Mr R. Sole installed them himself rather than a FENSA registered firm, then planning permission should have been sought. Looks like PP was not sought according to the council's website.

Building control have picked it up already by the look of it.
  • TomsMom
    Options
    As well as the 50 cubic metres, you have the
    "No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings."
    rule.

Is that for Wales? I had it in my mind that it was 70%.

Where's the road, compared to the gate?

"No extension should be closer to a highway than 20 metres, or closer than the original dwelling, whichever is nearer. "

No roads, the property is accessed via a pedestrian lane which comes up and passes a gate shared by all three of our properties then winds round to the back of the property. The white gate you can see to his path is actually reached via a right of way over the other neighbour's small garden.

344doc8.jpg
  • TomsMom
    Options
    Building control have picked it up already by the look of it.

I think somebody might have informed them :whistle: :D.
  • mikey72
    Options
    Both rules apply.

50cu metres, and no more than half the land.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions

(Assuming it's with 5m of the house)
  • TomsMom
    Options
    Both rules apply.

50cu metres, and no more than half the land.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions

(Assuming it's with 5m of the house)

Thanks for pointing that out, I must have missed the "no more than half the area of land" (don't know where I got 70% from). Will add that to the list of things that need looking into by the BCO . Yes, it is definitely within 5m of the house, the length of the garden can't be much more than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport