SCS carpet problem

Options
Hi everyone,

Lurked a lot but this is my first post.

My partner and I recently brought a carpet from SCS in the local store. The deposit was paid by debit card and the balance (over £100) by my credit card.

The carpet arrived with the fitter and the carpet was laid. A few weeks later we noticed that the carpet seemed to be cut a little short at the areas where it fits into the door bars. We called SCS and they sent a fitter around who glued some of these and assured my partner that this was OK.

A few days later the gaps were still there and the carpet was starting to fray. We contacted SCS again and an area manager arrived at our door, unannounced, he examined the carpet and said that the fitter had cut the carpet short as it was felt backed and would not stretch as much as non felt backs. He said he was going away to "think about things" and would let us know the outcome within the week. That ended today.

Now the complex bit.

SCS supply the carpets and you pay them on order (including the credit card payment) .The fitting is paid in cash to the fitter on the day of fitting. The carpet would be covered under the CCA but the fitting appears to be a seperate agreement direct with the fitter (you don't seem get a choice of fitters).

This is explained on the invoice but I didn't expect a problem. I wondered if anyone had any advice or had a similar issue?

Cheers.

PS. it seems like if a SCS fitter messes up your carpet on fitting, you may have an issue. Be aware!!!

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Your contract is with the fitter, you need to chase them unfortunately :(

Having been looking at carpets at the weekend seems the big chains all do this, went with the local independent shop in the end who use there own fitters
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Even though the OP paid the fitter directly, wouldn't SCS have some liability as it was them who chose the fitter and arranged for the work to be carried out?

It could be looked a bit like hiring a taxi.
    You phone up the taxi company who then picks which car and driver to send to pick you up and you pay the driver (who would keep some of the payment and either give a percentage or a fixed sum to the taxi firm).
    You may have paid the driver but your initial point of contact was with the taxi firm and it was them who took the booking, hence your contract was with them.

SCS may well think they have some liability, otherwise why did they arrange for a fitter to attempt the first repair?
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    not sure,i think a call to consumer direct may be in order
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do also think that SCS has a shared liability. Have you an update on this? Many carpet sales places use the same practice including Carpetright etc. Having said that,used carpet right a few times and received excellent service. Last carpet bought was from a local Indie. We could easily identify the carpet brand,who made it and where and they had their own fitters,,job done well. I guess one of the things about big carpet sellers is..well..do you ever really know what your buying/who made it ? The same could be said for sofas sold by the big sofa houses. Who made it/where/how/whats the quality like?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2013 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Even though the OP paid the fitter directly, wouldn't SCS have some liability as it was them who chose the fitter and arranged for the work to be carried out?

It could be looked a bit like hiring a taxi.
    You phone up the taxi company who then picks which car and driver to send to pick you up and you pay the driver (who would keep some of the payment and either give a percentage or a fixed sum to the taxi firm).
    You may have paid the driver but your initial point of contact was with the taxi firm and it was them who took the booking, hence your contract was with them.

SCS may well think they have some liability, otherwise why did they arrange for a fitter to attempt the first repair?

Although the taxi company in this example could argue they are merely agents bringing driver/car and customer together. Especially where in many cases the driver himself owns the vehicle or the vehicle may be part of a fleet owned by an independent garage who simply pay the taxi company a weekly 'rent'.

I've worked for a cab firm who don't even own a single vehicle - but have 10 cars on their books. Broke down as about 30 to one garage then the rest people who own a small fleet of <5 and rest owner drivers.

Same could be argued with SCS. So op would be looking at potentially consequential loss claim. Who with though is not clear - if for example SCS provided the correct sized carpet as per the order and the fitter simply cut it to small then it could potentially all be on his head.

But this point could be one for debate.

EDIT TO ADD:
    I suppose it could also be argued the fitter is a sub contractor of theirs and as far as op is concerned they are merely agents for SCS and their employment status is of no relevance and SCS is liable for performance of the whole contract.

Op -- is any kind of 'fitting' charge listed on the invoice?
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    Options
    The OP did not negotiate the contracting of the fitting, SCS did, the fitter was the agent of SCS.
    End of story.
    SCS must rectify the fault.
    Be happy...;)
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    The OP did not negotiate the contracting of the fitting, SCS did, the fitter was the agent of SCS.
    [STRIKE]End of story.[/STRIKE]In my opinion
    SCS must rectify the fault.

Corrected.
  • ScS_representative
    ScS_representative Posts: 26 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello Made in London,

I work for the ScS Online Team and would like to help you with this.

Please could you send me your account number and post code and I will be able to look into this for you.

Many thanks,

Kate
    The ScS Online Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of ScS. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the original post is from august last year
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering if I was the only one who had spotted that. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories