PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Spent €26 at the market yesterday and have meat for the week and a fridge bursting with fruit and veg. Going to put the stew ingredients (minus liquid) in the slow cooker liner this evening and leave it in the fridge. Can just pop it on before I leave the house in the morning. Won't have to cook until Wednesday then, apart from a new loaf :)
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    A modest £27.24 weekly shop today, till I got home and realised I'd forgotten a couple of expensive items and that I hadn't checked the cupboards very well because we have only 5 teabags left, no olive oil and no sunflower oil. I'm having to cook tonight's dinner with the posh extra virgin stuff we bought on holiday.

Another trip to MrS looks on the cards for tomorrow. Till then spends stand at £160.71/£200 very poor show for mid-month.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • GreenFairy wrote: »
    Spent €26 at the market yesterday and have meat for the week and a fridge bursting with fruit and veg. Going to put the stew ingredients (minus liquid) in the slow cooker liner this evening and leave it in the fridge. Can just pop it on before I leave the house in the morning. Won't have to cook until Wednesday then, apart from a new loaf :)

This may be a thick question but I'm thinking of getting a slow cooker - do you have to heat the ingredients up before you put them on or can you put them in cold?

Result today - Sainsbugs have had special offer on De1 mont£ orange juice for £1 a carton for a couple of weeks. They still had sign up today so I bought some but when I got home I noticed they'd charged full price £1.65 :eek:. I went back (luckily it's very local) and they gave me the extra back so for 4 cartons it was £2.60 :j.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • This may be a thick question but I'm thinking of getting a slow cooker - do you have to heat the ingredients up before you put them on or can you put them in cold?
    You just bung everything in cold/raw, meat, veg etc. and let it do its thing.
  • Well I've been away - went to visit a friend on Friday straight after work and didn't get back until quite late on Saturday. OH had spent £4.80 on milk, bread, cheese and bleach. Made me a delicious chilli for dinner so was happy :)

No grocery spends today and made a lovely chicken dish with chicken breasts from the freezer:

photo44.jpg

Used up sprouting potatoes to make the roasties plus a slightly questionable half bag of greens, and the sauce was made with a quarter bottle of red wine left over from weeks ago and half a tin of tomatoes left over. Very frugal and good as I'm trying to use up fridge stuff before I go on holiday on Thursday :D
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Made a chocolate mug cake for dessert as I had eggs to use up! Using up leftovers doesn't have to be a chore ;)

The simplest dessert ever - I just put an egg, 4 tablespoons of sugar (recipe calls for icing but I used caster to no ill effects) and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder in each mug and mixed up, microwaved the mugs on full power for 1 min 50 s (I like it a bit gooey, do it for 10-20s more if you don't) then served them with big dollops of icecream on top. Surprisingly cakey texture for not having any flour in them, the first time I had them I expected them to be more moussey.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Spent £8.42 on fruit and milk for the week but had £4 coupon so just £4.42 to add to total - hoping to stay clear of the shops till next weekend!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bluegreen, I've added your Chocolate mug cake to the recipe index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • I went to the green one and did my week's shopping for just over £16. Most notably though, I didn't do any stocking up. I bought a couple of extra fruits, like they had pineapples for £1, so I treated myself. I need to really work hard now on sorting out my compulsive behaviour, although I'm sure that's for another thread!! I just can't stop buying deals and bargains! I know others have this problem too, but for me it's now entered the ridiculous.

Still, today was a small step in the right direction, and I'm aiming for a six-day frugal fast now...

Ch had sausage casserole for dinner and I had lentil bolognese. I don't normally cook different things, but I wanted to try the lentil recipe, and good job I did as ds tried and had to spit it out!! Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Night all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Thanks for the 5-week-month answers. Like the idea of having a store cupboard week - that would be the simplest answer for me at the moment. Putting money aside I can see working too, but I have so many accounts at the moment for different things, not sure would cope with adding more!

Thanks again :)
    Go to the ant, thou sluggard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family