PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    I googled and discovered that they most certainly ARE Japanese quince:j:j

They had blooms very much like roses, in fact, I gathered some of the petals weeks and weeks ago when I was collecting rose petals for the rose petal jelly!!!

The fruits look like hips too and are even similar when cut although the flesh is firmer.

I'm thrilled now as there is quite a good crop on this bush so I will certainly be going back now!!!

Whoop whoop!!!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2012 at 8:56PM
    JJ I'm 99% sure they aren't rosehips - they look like Japanese quince from the bush they are on there's a web image here. They are very nice when cooked. There's an image of rose hips on this page here. Mine aren't red yet.

Still look gorgeous!
    SL

Ey up!

I just posted on here but I'm reading backwards to catch up.

I did actually collect some of the petals from this particular plant weeks ago when I made the rose petal jam (which is lush) as the blooms are very much like wild roses but a deeper colour. The fruits do look like a yellow rose hip. In the local nature reserve there are black and red rose hips at the moment.

I used the red ones recently when making rose hip syrup:photo-27.jpg

I am absolutely thrilled that these are now identified as Japanese quince (apparently a member of the rose family:T) I'd never have known if you and gigervamp hadn't said! Googling the pictures leaves absolutely no doubt.

The resulting jam is amazing. I cannot wait to forage more of the crop now. Yay:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Oh dear, not a good start to September. Firstly OH came with me to do the weekly shop and wanted to buy various extras that weren't on the list - so shop came in at £59.65 (double what I usually spend:eek:

Then today, we had to buy some booze to take to a picnic - I end up forgetting to collect my receipt and credit card for this (luckily someone had handed it in), but again OH doesn't want to be shown up by taking cheap plonk so our spend was about £9.50.

So £69.15/£200 just TWO days into the month.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    According to my Sainsbugs receipt I have 2925 which is £14.52 so I would estimate £5 per thousand

HTH
    SL

Thanks SL, every penny counts, so i am sure that'll come in handy for something! I think you can redeem nectar points at vue cinemas. so i'll probably do that :)
  • Soworried wrote: »
    There was still no YS strong cheese though.:cool:

We buy the 620g pack of Wyke Farm Extra Mature Cheddar at £4 (mr A)- this isn't an offer but £6.45/kilo is better than most. Sainsbugs has their TtD Mature Barbers Cruncher on bogof at £4.93/kilo cheaper but not so strong.

HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lovely boat trip to isle of may (£22 each) plus fab fish and chips in anstruther(£12) so already up to 123.77 and we're only on the second :eek:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    soworried- Farmfoods have 1kg of extra mature cheese for £5, or 2 packs of 350g for £4.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi everyone,

NSD today. In laws came over bearing gifts from their garden - courgettes (well almost marrows really!), plums and eggs. I picked some runner beans from our garden plus dug up the potatoes. Wonder why I bother with potatoes. Lots were 'holey' and had to be thrown. From approx 25 seed potatoes I got about 50 potatoes that were usable. Not sure it's worth the effort :(

Dinner tonight was chicken kievs (ready made :o), potatoes, salad, courgettes and runner beans. I also made an almond cake from a Dr Oetker packet I had in the cupboard. You just add butter and eggs. It was lush :D
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MissOrganised, I've added your Cottage Pie/Spaghetti Bolognaise/Chilli batch bake recipes to the index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Hello there, been and got some bits at the weekend and now I'm up to £120.31 out of £170. Eek, it seems a bit close! But still hoping this month will go well. I noticed that a big weakness was buying bargains that weren't immediately necessary or that are tat we don't really need, so intend to try hard not to do that as much. The fact the freezer currently has about 2mm of spare space in it might help, because it means I can't buy anything that might have to go in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure