Pay for trial shift?

Options
Hi Guys,

I recently had a trial shift for a catering company in order to see if I was suitable for the job. After completing the shift I decided the job wasn't for me so chose not to pursue it, and they haven't contacted me for further work or feedback anyway.

Now when the company arranged the shift for me there was no mention of pay, however there was no mention of me doing it for free. I was under the impression I would get paid for the shift however I have not heard anything further from the company so was wondering whether I should try and chase this pay up?

Are there any laws or guidelines to do with this? As it's a job that doesn't require experience they could just employ loads of staff for these trial shifts and basically get free labour.

Thanks

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 August 2012 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Why did you not ask about pay at the start ?
  • alonehiker
    alonehiker Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Work Trial gives you the chance to show an employer that you are the right person to fill a job. It is entirely voluntary.

:)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Suitability can be assesed without shift payment being affected. Imho, unless explicitly agreed, there is no reason not to expect to be paid for your labours.

I would write to the company seeking their views on the matter and if they decline payment ask where they're authority comes from to permit withholding of pay.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • phil2890
    phil2890 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    In hindsight I agree I should have made the payment situation clear when the shift was arranged but it always seems a bit awkward to ask! I will make sure I do in future. I just assumed I would be paid.

However the trial shift was for catering at a wedding and almost everyone working was on this trial shift! It just seems like they're out to get free work.

I will send them a friendly letter and see where it leads.
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    You don't get paid for trial shifts, and yes some companies use it as a way of getting free work for a day.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    You don't get paid for trial shifts, and yes some companies use it as a way of getting free work for a day.
    It's a well know practice in hospitality to have people work a days 'trial' just to cover for someone who is not there and you do not get paid a penny.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    phil2890 wrote: »
    In hindsight I agree I should have made the payment situation clear when the shift was arranged but it always seems a bit awkward to ask! I will make sure I do in future. I just assumed I would be paid.

However the trial shift was for catering at a wedding and almost everyone working was on this trial shift! It just seems like they're out to get free work.

I will send them a friendly letter and see where it leads.
    Worth a punt to claim NMW for the shift - I suspect they would pay up rather than let it go to trial and lose.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • MissSarah1972
    Options
    Worth a punt to claim NMW for the shift - I suspect they would pay up rather than let it go to trial and lose.
    why would they lose?
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    OP you don't say whether you are employed or unemployed? Was thinking was this work trial scheme run by the jobcentre if it was you wouldn't get paid for it.
  • MissSarah1972
    Options
    scooby088 wrote: »
    OP you don't say whether you are employed or unemployed? Was thinking was this work trial scheme run by the jobcentre if it was you wouldn't get paid for it.
    .........and you wouldn't get paid if it was a trial where the company aren't paying you. OP - you really needed to ask before hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport