Door-to-door ex con rehabilitation?

Options

Comments

• GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    I would let your local police station and trading standards know that they are in your area. It's worked out ok for you and £5 isn't a great sum in the grand scheme of things. However we had a story in the local paper last week of an old lady who fell for a similar con and ended up buying over £400 worth of junk.

Round here if you let trading standards know they let home helps and the likes know so that vulnerable people get warned about the scam being in the area.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    It's the brush man they have been going for years.
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    Options
    I would let your local police station and trading standards know that they are in your area. It's worked out ok for you and £5 isn't a great sum in the grand scheme of things. However we had a story in the local paper last week of an old lady who fell for a similar con and ended up buying over £400 worth of junk.

Round here if you let trading standards know they let home helps and the likes know so that vulnerable people get warned about the scam being in the area.

This would be an excellent move. I remember years ago, on the train, overhearing this young man chatting up two girls dressed up for a day in Epsom. He was describing how one particular elderly lady was really nice to him, and he'd gotten £1500 out of her so far.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've not heard of this rouse before, but post #7 implies it's almost certainly a scam. You can either just put it down to experience (it was only a fiver), or you can contact your local police or look at their website to see if they have any advice or info.
  • squidge60
    squidge60 Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do like me i just ignore the door (do have a spyhole) that way i dont have to be rude and it doesnt wind me up.:D
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    One of the ones who came round to my old house where I used to live I'm sure actually was genuine - I happened to have my laptop out and I made him wait on the doorstep while I googled the charity he said ran the scheme - and it seemed to be genuine. This was a couple of years ago now and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. The guy today, though, wasn't from the same scheme I'm sure, as I think the badge was different etc.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I had one of these last night. Get them from time to time. I don't buy and sell at the door, so said no without seeing his stuff.

But what I don't understand is the cover story behind it. It seems (a) unlikely and (b) not very inviting. I mean I wouldn't have thought that most people would want ex-cons at their door, would they?
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always feel so sorry for the poor lads who call on me. I tell then it is they who are being exploited and give them something to get a cuppa and a bite to eat but refuse to pay a fiver for a J cloth. The ones I have seen seem very vulnerable.
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »
    Usually a young man with a laminated ID badge/form thing, and a bag of household tat being sold for extortionate prices, saying that it's part of young offenders' rehabilitation.

Sounds like daylight robbery to me. :p

Happy moneysaving all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family