We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Refusing to pay restaurant bill

Options

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think your reaction and demands were way OTT.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would be interesting to know if the party immediately stopped eating their meals and refused the sweets on discovery of the foreign object or continued dining before refusing to pay for the meals
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Way OTT, totally taking advantage of the situation.

I'd have made sure I would have taken all your meals away the second you declined to pay. Or did you eat and then refuse to pay? which is just taking the mick.

I'd have also spat in your complimentary drinks I would have brought you to apologise ;)
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you posting that is suppose to upset me or something

You call OP " nothing more than a half wit" and then get upset because someone points out that you can't, won't or haven't used the correct part of speech. Are you a bit over-sensitive?
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like OP to name the restaurant as I'd say their customer service is excellent if they just acknowledge OP had over-reacted and abused the situation but not make a fuss and insist he pays more. Totally ridiculous to expect the whole meal should be free on the basis of that little incident.
    I recently found a hair in a meal I'd almost finished and at the same time my son found a small piece of plastic wrapper in his. Neither of us wanted a replacement meal as we had both eaten a good starter and the majority of our mains before finding the objects, and we intended on having dessert. But we informed the manager right away and asked if some adjustment could be made to the bill. He knocked 25% off the whole bill which was meal and drink for 5, plenty adequate compensation
  • transient
    transient Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with every post above apart from the half wit nugget. Below sums it up perfectly for me

the
    ellay864 wrote: »
    I'd like OP to name the restaurant as I'd say their customer service is excellent if they just acknowledge OP had over-reacted and abused the situation but not make a fuss and insist he pays more. Totally ridiculous to expect the whole meal should be free on the basis of that little incident.
    I recently found a hair in a meal I'd almost finished and at the same time my son found a small piece of plastic wrapper in his. Neither of us wanted a replacement meal as we had both eaten a good starter and the majority of our mains before finding the objects, and we intended on having dessert. But we informed the manager right away and asked if some adjustment could be made to the bill. He knocked 25% off the whole bill which was meal and drink for 5, plenty adequate compensation
  • Tina20
    Tina20 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    While training to be a chef a long while ago, my tutor told us that diners in the restaurant have a right to refuse to pay for the meal.

She said that's because a restaurant should be providing food and atmosphere that you enjoy, and if you didn't enjoy it you don't have to pay!

No idea if she was right, but if she was then you did have a right to refuse payment. Although morally, it's a bit dodgy :/

She also said that every customer has the right to inspect the kitchen of whichever eating establishment they are in. Whether it's the ritz or mc donalds, they have to be willing to show you the kitchen.

Interesting
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yep, as with all goods/services you buy you can refuse to pay but equally the restaurant has the right to sue you for the unpaid bill.

As for punters having the right to inspect kitchens, doesn't sound likely to me. They have the right to ask to inspect and the restaurant have the right to refuse (unless the punter is undercover Environmental Health).
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,292 Forumite
    Options
    pcombo wrote: »
    and what you posting that is suppose to upset me or something, are you the forum police or something nothing better to do with your time than try and bring people down.

stupid person that you are.

maybe you can correct this post down to the last full stop or comma.
    Ah - you called the OP a half-wit, and now me stupid.

It's certainly good to have a reasoned debate, anyway!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,292 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought that allowing punters into the kitchen could itself lead to possible breaches of H&S.

Back to the OP, I think that a 50% reduction would have been appropriate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport