PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    August challenge finished for me. I haven't been posting but I have been keeping track. The car had to have new tyres before it's mot, so we ran out of money.
    It meant I had the best gc ever....£154/£250 so £96 under budget!!! My cupboards and freezer are decimated (or dessicated as my grt nanna would have said!)
    Going off to write todays shopping list and set my budget for september
    Thanks for keeping the thread going x
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cowboymum, I've added your Plum Chutney recipe to the list in September thread :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 24 August 2012 at 11:39AM
    Options
    Totally forgot to say that I'm sorry to hear about your freezer situation PennyGrabber! :(

Hope everyone else is well and sorry if I've missed any condolences.

More spends to report from yesterday:

£1 on some wraps in Mr S
    £14.16 in Mr W.

Bought a kilo of chicken breasts on offer - all individually wrapped which is brillant for me since I can get out what I need!. Had Zataar chicken with LO salad, mayo and wraps for dinner last night.
    The rest of the chicken is in the freezer.
    Also bought pak choi, a small carrot, spring onions, ginger for recipes.
    Also got tempted by 2 packs of reduced sausages, reduced block of stilton, and reduced lemon merigues (2 indivdual servings would normally be £4.99 - reduced to £1.05). The lemon meringues were stunning but who would pay £4.99 for them!? :eek:

I DID resist 3 things yesterday though:

1. I saw that Charlie Bighams ready meals were reduced from £6 to £4.50 in Mr S. Nearly got them until I had a big think and realized that I could probably make a big batch of Macaroni cheese for a LOT cheaper than that myself? Bought wraps for the chicken instead.

2. In Mr W, Charlie Bighams had their chicken and mushroom pie reduced to £4.89. It didn't say if they could be frozen though and since they come with ramekins I wasn't sure if they would crack in the freezer - resisted!

3. Got an email from Mr T saying that they missed me, and I hadn't shopped with them for a while (I think it's only been 2 months), and here's a voucher for £7.50 off your next shop. Looked into it and I would need to spend £75 by the 1st September, and the delivery would be £3, so in essence that's £4.50 off. 6% off a £75 shop isn't going to sway me, since I have tons in the freezer and go on holiday on the 9th Sept anyway!

So not perfect, but baby steps and all that lark! :rotfl:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all , well my total so far this month is already up to £ 282.19 got to add eggs & bread that i bought this morning and any thing else that I might buy next week :shocked:
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Well I managed to buy just what was on my list this week and spent £29.44 Pleased with that. Will need some fruit & veg at the weekend but I have been given a few runner beans and some tomatoes :j Also have done a inventory of the freezer in the kitchen, there is quite a lot in there so I will have to make a conscious effort to use some items up as been in a while. Just need to do the other freezer now and then the cupboards.

Grandson here again today so off to make some rock cakes with him later on.

Have half a cauliflower in that needs using up so tonight we will be having tomato tart and some cauliflower, cheese & onion fritters. These are lovely and a great way to use up cauli. Am going to try these with broccoli & sweet corn at some point. There's no huge cauliflower taste so probably ok for children who dont like their veg much. ;)

CAULIFLOWER, CHEESE & ONION FRITTERS
    • About 8 ozs. Cauliflower florets cut small
    • 8 ozs potato -peeled and cubed
    • 1 small onion - diced
    • 3 ozs strong cheese - grated
    • 2 eggs - separated
    • Oil
    Boil the potatoes till just tender and leave to drain.

Boil the cauli and drain

Now mash the potato well then beat in the egg yolks, add the grated cheese, onion and season.

Whisk the egg whites till soft folds form then gently fold these and the cauliflower into the mashed potato mix.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and carefully drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil. Cook for about 4 mins turn halfway then pull out and drain on kitchen roll. These can be served with some slices of sausage sprinkled over or crispy bacon or just as they are.

NSD today for us. :T
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    OK I've been to Aldi to use my voucher and spent £15.86 on groceries so I'm just over budget but my september starts in a couple of days so that's not bad considering it was school hols.
  • pajama
    pajama Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I failed my GC. Not too bad though. An extra Aldi spend sent me over but that's it now for August. So, a grand total of £339.26 spent. Off to put myself down for the September challenge now :)
    Grocery Challenge - Sept £205.56/£350.00

• rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Billie-jo, I've added your Cauliflower, Cheese and Onion Fritters to the recipe list in the September thread :beer:

• rosieben
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pajama wrote: »
    Well, I failed my GC. Not too bad though. An extra Aldi spend sent me over but that's it now for August. So, a grand total of £339.26 spent. Off to put myself down for the September challenge now :)

that's a very respectable result though pajama :T

• mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    small spend of £15 over the last 2 days...mainly milk cereal and fruit

Tea tonight is fry up with YS MrTs best sausages...saw these today at half price...£2.29:eek::eek:..I paid 40p a pack and got 6 packs at the time...the rest of the 69p bacon...1 pack of mushrooms 59p..tin of toms...31p an 2 tins beans..50p...so feeding 8 tonight for about £2.40...I love YS.

Tomorrow will be baked pots...2 packs reduced to 17p a pack with beans, YS cheese and salad from the market...probably less than £3 to feed 8 again.

No failures here pajama..its a very good result xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure