PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    had a 25.83 spend at mrT the other night but that should do us until after the BH now except for maybe diet coke :o . Rough meal plan in place for the week ahead and enough in for lunches too yay, altho I am being lazy today and having a canteen lunch at work but husband has a pack up today.
    I hope you're all doing great on your budgets too :beer:

I've been having a think about our holiday in september and we'll be in a static caravan and I dont know if I should count that week in my grocery budget or not, we will take a few things from home and will shop when we get there too in the local ald! but I cant decide if I should wipe that week out or not. any thoughts about what others have done welcome! :question:
    Blah
  • Have been a bit quiet for one reason or another for the last week or so, but am breaking my silence now because I need some 'there there' words!

I returned from camping today to find my freezer door open, and loads of things soft. My best friend has been feeding the cat while we've been away, and she must've shut the fridge door too hard, as that sometimes makes the freezer door open (on account of the freezer being too full...!).

Nothing could be salvaged as I don't know how long it had been like that, but at least it wasn't the entire contents of the freezer. I reckon about £80 full price worth of stuff has been chucked, although a lot of it ys. GUTTED!!!

Oh no :mad: - that's terrible - you poor thing.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I dread to think by how much i have gone over budget this month!! Maybe this wasnt the best time to do my 1st GC, with it being school holidays and all!

Well, there'll certianly be no more overspending, and ad hoc visits to the shops, as my son broke his ankle at the weekend! I have borrowed a wheelchair for him from the red cross, and left a donation of £20. The hospital gave him crutches, but he is only 8 years old and has developmetal coordination problems, so he looks like new born bambi trying to use his crutches (i.e. falling down every 2mins!).

So i have now done a huge inventory of what i already have in, and have come up with 24meals i can make of what i have in the house already.

Your poor son - I hope his ankle heals soon.
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    spent £51 on the large weeks bill on Sunday...and went to my lage MrTs tonight and got lots of YS for £18...includes 2x 4pt milk for 34p

2 chickens for £2

2x bread for 17p
    2x12 garlic doughballs for 22p....etc

So tomorrows tea will be liver and bacon..large pack of liver 24p....carrots...large bag 25p..bacon 54p..potatoes for mash..17p...so tea for 9 of us (mums kitchen being reburbished)...for £1.20:T:T:T

So pleased with my haul

will add to sig now x

Good haul :j!
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • Well I haven't managed to stay within budget this month but I was probably being over ambitious trying to cut it down by £30 for the month during the school holidays! I'm pleased to say though that I'm now going into SMs and only buying what I need, unless I see something YS that I know we can use in the following week. DH is not on board though - he went to shop for chorizo and came back with this (the most expensive they do) and 2 comics for kids - spent nearly £14 :eek:! Note to self, never let DH go to SM :rotfl:.

I tried 2 recipes from the front page this week which were both delicious - Chicken and chorizo gumbo - to which I also added to bit of tabasco sauce; and prawns with peppers and saffron - but without saffron as it was too expensive to buy :rotfl:. Will definitely be making those again!
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I had a spend of 87p yesterday. I got 4pk of smarties at the co-op for 67p, dated 2013 so I don't know why they were reduced, the tubes are not crushed or battered either. 20p spend on YS raspberries at MrT. I will add up my spends soon.
    Cereal for breakfast topped with raspberries. :) Lunch will be cheese and onion rolls out of the freezer. Dinner will be curry made out of veg that needs used up. My husband hates curry so I will make him an omlette and salad. :cool:
    Today should be a no spend day on groceries but I am taking my daughter clothes shopping.
    I hope everyone has a low or no spend day.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    spent £51 on the large weeks bill on Sunday...and went to my lage MrTs tonight and got lots of YS for £18...includes 2x 4pt milk for 34p

2 chickens for £2

2x bread for 17p
    2x12 garlic doughballs for 22p....etc

So tomorrows tea will be liver and bacon..large pack of liver 24p....carrots...large bag 25p..bacon 54p..potatoes for mash..17p...so tea for 9 of us (mums kitchen being reburbished)...for £1.20:T:T:T

So pleased with my haul

will add to sig now x

Superb:T
    You have every right to feel proud of your thrifty ways. Good on ya :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Should be our 3rd NSD today, and we're doing pretty well at using stuff up. I've made enough soup for our lunches this week but we'll need eggs and milk tomorrow I think. Somehow feeling much more OS this month!
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been on MSE for years - I can't work out what YS means!? Help!

My first full week starts tomorrow so I'll be hitting different stores rather than relying solely on Mr T for groceries. I've also cancelled my weekly veg box. I loved the fruit and veg every week however I know I can get it cheaper from the local greengrocer shop. Next up is the voucher thread to see whether I can knock a few pence off what I would usually be buying.
    Reading through the thread has been very motivating!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    YS, means yellow sticker, so the reduced to sometimes pennies items at the end of the day. :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • SusanP_2
    SusanP_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I am so annoyed that I paid full price for a pair of shoes in JS on Sunday, today everything has 25% off... I wore them Monday for a special event, they gave me a blister.... Grrrr!! I am trying to be good with grocery, only started on 15th so first big shop of the month is tomorrow, we've been using last months stuff up so far. I have had to buy odd bits and pieces, and I am keeping track of every spend. This month I want to see that I have really cut back and make some extra savings!
    Grocery Challenge Target £400!!

August 0/£400
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    YS, means yellow sticker, so the reduced to sometimes pennies items at the end of the day. :)

Ah! I call them cheapies lol.
    Thank you x
    MSE-ing since 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills