PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folks. Nearly the end of the month for me - pay day is on the 25th. I have £30 left in my food account which I am going to save into the savings pot.

Will need to go to Mr T today. I have been racking my brain trying to think what to get my dad for his birthday on Sept 3rd. I have now given up as I have exhausted the usual sporting goods/country wear I get him as he loves clay-pigeon shooting. He alos loves whisky however so I have decided to just go for the obvious and get him a bottle of Balvenie as it is his fav. That will be around the £30 mark which will come out of my gifts budget.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • KolaKube
    KolaKube Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Right, today is going to get interesting... going to go through the cupboards and aim to do a full months meal plan (plus toiletries, cleaning stuff etc). Then plan the shopping for the month from a combo of MrT, MrA, MrLidl & local shops for cheap eggs, milk, spuds etc. Aiming to a budget of £150 but if we could save any extra I'd be over the moon..!

Wish me luck..!!

:money:
    MFW Sept 2013 Starting balance: £101160.59 25 years :eek:
    OPs 2013-2014: £64.33 :o MFW #78
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    September thread is up! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    allie23 wrote: »
    Hi folks. Nearly the end of the month for me - pay day is on the 25th. I have £30 left in my food account which I am going to save into the savings pot.

Will need to go to Mr T today. I have been racking my brain trying to think what to get my dad for his birthday on Sept 3rd. I have now given up as I have exhausted the usual sporting goods/country wear I get him as he loves clay-pigeon shooting. He alos loves whisky however so I have decided to just go for the obvious and get him a bottle of Balvenie as it is his fav. That will be around the £30 mark which will come out of my gifts budget.

Balvenie is on promotion in sainsburys at £25 at the moment!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    Mid-week top-up today at MrS - £7.16 (total now £131.39/£200). Hopefully this will see us through till Friday, then we are away over the bank holiday - so it will be the eating out budget that gets a bashing.

That should mean just one more shop before month end, so really hopeful we can come in under budget.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Vanoonoo, I was away/out and about during Aug and I kind of half and half counted in what I spent. I counted the supermarket bits I got when away (minus some clothes). But not the other bits and bobs
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • cowboymum
    cowboymum Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok more spending! £6.44 on beef joint (reduced price should do us for a couple of meals, 3 hopefully).

Also bought some bits from second purse (5 packs of disposable razors for £1.89 each (reduced from £4), 4 razors per pack). 4 tubes children's toothpaste 65p each. Total of about £20.

Also got a Weston gourmet order of meat, again from second purse. Not as well packaged as Donald Russel and one pack of burgers open. Rang them and they are going to resend me a pack, plus a freebie for my inconvenience!

Also realised that milk delivered on Sunday in tesco order was dated 19th aug, the day it was delivered. Have asked for refund and will make scones with out of date milk.
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    September thread is up! :)

Off on the hunt for it! I "start" my first proper GC tomorrow which gives me a week to get my bum in gear before starting September (starting on the 30th Aug as my shopping week runs from Thursday).
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am still well in budget due to using up bits in freezer, have only really bought fruit and veg as dieting.

Just back from Asda and they have the BBQ chicken drumsticks and thighs, 700 grms now 1.00. Bought 3 packs barbegue and 3 packs tandori, but they are not coming out of this months money as will not be used until next month. or later
    Slimming World at target
  • SusanP_2
    SusanP_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Argh so i cannot believe I have spent £44.37 since the 15th!! That is just odds and sods, milk, choc bars, bread etc! My first big shop is tomorrow and will probably be double that for 10 days worth of food, lunch boxes as well. It's opened my eyes to how crazy it is just picking stuff up, it doesn't even include the fish and chips my MIL treated us to...I am going to improve from tomorrow... I need to get into the coupon thing, I have made a start but am tending to mainly use the ones JS spits out at you for reward points... Lazy... Need to research further afield...

Hope everyone else is doing well, I think I might split my moths across the August and September challenge as my pay goes 15th to 15th..... See you in September on 1st, if not on here before....
    Grocery Challenge Target £400!!

August 0/£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family