Where will I stand with this?

Hi all, hope you are well.

We moved into a new apartment 6 weeks ago and since about the 3rd or 4th day in the property, we have suffered with a leaking tap in our bath from the hot tap. If you apply force to the top of the tap (ie: putting all of the weight of your hand onto it), the dripping stops, otherwise it continues.

We have reported this to our letting agent who has had someone out three times to try to resolve, which they haven't, always bringing a new part which doesn't work. They arrived again yesterday with a new part which again didn't work and said that it would need a whole new tap which they would have to find and then consult with the letting agent to see if it could be ordered.

As I said above, it's been some time now and we're on a water meter. Therefore, I'm concerned as to the impact of this on the bill - where do i stand on this? Surely I can't be penalised for their delay and inability to fix quickly? :s

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Its not the water company's fault so you are still liable for the bill, i suggest you claim some rebate from the landlord but it would need to be a constant leak to have any impact on bills a little drip would not be much.

You may be able to claim a leakage allowance from the water company but they usually only allow 1 per property so i would keep it banked in case you have a major leak
  • deano4930
    deano4930 Posts: 62 Forumite
    deanos wrote: »
    Its not the water company's fault so you are still liable for the bill, i suggest you claim some rebate from the landlord but it would need to be a constant leak to have any impact on bills a little drip would not be much.

You may be able to claim a leakage allowance from the water company but they usually only allow 1 per property so i would keep it banked in case you have a major leak

Correct.

This would be a 3rd party issue, being any extra cost incurred would need to be dealt with your LL. obviously depending on your relationship with them!

You wouldn't be entitled to any leakage allowance as the leak is internal, Ie not our liability. This is the case for United Utilities where i work.. On average a dripping tap adds around about an extra £20 a year to your bill. Just get a new tap and forget it ever happened.
  • fluffy123
    fluffy123 Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, if the cost is going to be that low...I'll be happy to just take the hit and pay the extra. I would have thought if the tap was dripping constantly though it might add more?
  • deano4930
    deano4930 Posts: 62 Forumite
    fluffy123 wrote: »
    Hi, if the cost is going to be that low...I'll be happy to just take the hit and pay the extra. I would have thought if the tap was dripping constantly though it might add more?

If its just a drip then it would be arround a £20 a year,

If it was a drip breaking into a stream then that would be around £40 a year.

Just get the tap fixed and forget about it!
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    can't you isolate the water flow to the tap when it's not in use?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The cost of someome coming out 3 times is vastly higher than the cost of a replacement tap!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport