🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Santander to charge for 'free' business accounts

Options

Comments

• magpiecottage
    Options
    Mine was opened in 2004 as well - it all seems a bit random.
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    swordsman1 wrote: »
    Must be reverse order. Still not received my letter. Account opened in 2004.

I received mine in the first wave. Opened mine in 2001/2. Probably chose who to write to by playing "stick the tail on the donkey".
  • NJD001
    Options
    Opened mine around 2003, still no letter, however am now in latter stages of switching to HSBC. Fairly painless to do and, imo, the only way to deal with this issue. I don't believe that complaining is ever going to work, again imo.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2012 at 2:16PM
    Options
    NJD001 wrote: »
    I don't believe that complaining is ever going to work, again imo.

You will be ignored by Santander - but the track record of FOS is generally that if you can prove a firm made a promise then it will require it to be honoured.

I have posted links to the evidence here.
    I received mine in the first wave. Opened mine in 2001/2. Probably chose who to write to by playing "stick the tail on the donkey".

I think the A S S works for Santander. Is not a young one called a Foal(e)?

(Note to MODS - A S S means donkey - stop being so prudish!).
  • gwokka
    gwokka Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    jap200 wrote: »
    Still not received the letter - is it just me - has everyone else got one?

i havent received my letter either. i opened my account thro A&L sept 2010
  • buckster
    buckster Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not everyone is affected, which may include you-those that have only opened the account within a year or so of the change are not being migrated. Also Affinity customers wont be migrated.

How do you know this? I think I opened my account in 2004 but not sure. I haven't had a letter yet either so hopefully they won't be charging me.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    buckster wrote: »
    How do you know this? I think I opened my account in 2004 but not sure. I haven't had a letter yet either so hopefully they won't be charging me.

I suppose it is possible that the letter from Janusdesign's MP to Botin may have an impact - a reply in the name of the organ grinder rather than the monkey at least.

It is also possible that pressure being brought to bear by MPs on the FSA may have an influence.

So might suddenly finding they are being hit by £500 FOS fees that they did not expect.

However, I do not think they are very bright - it was a pretty predictable outcome.

With nearly a quarter of a million accounts, it was odds on that somebody would know how to challenge them and social media will quickly spread the word.
  • Victor_Mildrew
    Options
    I had a phone call from Santander yesterday asking if I had received my letter about the changes & if I had any questions???
    I told them in no uncertain terms that I had already written to my M.P. & the F.O.S. about the "Forever Clause" & considered Santander's proposed actions-Disgusting, Immoral & Despicable.
    I also informed her that large internet communities were doing likewise.
    She thanked me for my views & said she would pass them on.
    (I bet she wished she'd never phoned me)!!:beer:
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Latest news from me.

I have a letter from OS which says it will take up to 12 weeks for an adjudicator to look at the case.

Of course we expect Santander to give notice that it intends to start charging before then.

However, the FOS letter says "In the meantime, please let us know if your circumstances change significantly".

It then gives some examples. Although these do not include notice of a start date, I think that IS significant.

The other thing to note is that you will have both a reference number AND an e-mail address. If you are at this stage with FOS, as soon as the letter giving a start date arrives scan it in and e-mail it to them.
  • Susievintage
    Options
    Having complained to Santander as soon as I received the letter about charges, on 27 July 2012, I have not yet received my sod off letter. I have forgotten how long Santander has to reply before I can go to the FOS - is it 8 weeks, or 12 weeks?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport