MSE News: Santander to charge for 'free' business accounts

Options

Comments

• Susievintage
    Options
    Thank you all for your congratulations - I am blushing! :o It was just a matter of timing that I was the first to mention it, but I was delighted to see such shared strength of opinion and action - thank you all.

I am taking particular pleasure from the fact that Santander have already sent out 80,000 letters, and now will have to send out 80,000 corrections - that's 160,000 second class stamps, or £80,000.

As someone who used none of their services beyond the very basics, I will not be opting to upgrade...! I do hope that "Moneybox" and other consumer programmes pick up on this as an example of what consumer power can achieve - and I am glad I ignored all the nay-sayers who moaned that complaining never gets you anywhere with the big boys. If you have a good case and strong evidence, the size of the opponent is immaterial.

Well done us! :T
  • brookhouse
    Options
    Yorksport wrote: »
    Yes, good work all round. Short term PR blow for Santander undoubtedly. It's the same as the banks floating the idea of fees for personal accounts but in this case S took a gamble by actually sending out letters. It's difficult to imagine that they were surprised by the response. We're all likely to stay with them but that's the same position as they were in before. What a waste of time.
    I'll stay with them, because I don't need the hassle of changing, but they've destroyed their goodwill with me and I won't be opening any other accounts with them.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Just got a call from Santander waving the white flag of victory.

I can't understand how Spain are the World and European champions when they score that sort of own goal!
  • denisiw
    Options
    Just got a call from Santander waving the white flag of victory.

I can't understand how Spain are the World and European champions when they score that sort of own goal!
    Is that intentional? Surely you mean surrender?

Credit goes to everyone who took the time to complain about this. It just goes to show what power people can muster when push comes to shove. And with a little bit of help from the internet:-)

That's two good results in the last couple of weeks for me, the first was having money owed repaid to me by Lifestyle Claims. Only one fight left now (at present) getting mobile phone companies to stop increasing their fees during a contract.

Denis
  • cashisking1
    cashisking1 Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2015 at 3:20PM
    Options
    deleted by user
  • Malcolm_Foster_2
    Options
    Success! Victory at last.Well done and thanks to all -People power, eh? Had confirmation phone call off Santander this morning. Glad they listened to my suggested solution. Lol.
    A load of transferring hassle now avoided. :-)
  • swordsman1
    Options
    Well done to all the activists here. I have no doubt it was your efforts that made them see sense, and saved the rest of us a heap load of hassle in changing accounts etc.
  • MakeitgoRIGHT
    Options
    I just had my phone call to assure me of this, and will be getting a letter to confirm in the near future.

That's good news.

BUT, I have spent a great deal of time opening another set of biz accounts with HSBC, ready to make to switch over, but now that was all a waste of my time. So, once I get my letter, phase-2: I shall be complaining about all the wasted time and effort opening up those other accounts. See what Customer Services make of that, eh?
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    denisiw wrote: »
    Is that intentional? Surely you mean surrender?

It is a quote of Margaret Thatcher after the poll tax fiasco - apparently she said if you must do a u-turn do it quickly whilst waving the white flag of victory.
  • Malcolm_Foster_2
    Options
    It is a quote of Margaret Thatcher after the poll tax fiasco - apparently she said if you must do a u-turn do it quickly whilst waving the white flag of victory.

Many thanks magpiecottage for being a leading light in this campaign. Being 66 next, I have more or less retired after nearly 25 years in business and will probably be closing my business account in the very near future anyway but could not help but get involved (luckily being able to make the time to do so) in this justifiable campaign against greedy bankers. Now we need to tackle the hikes in vehicle fuel prices so badly affecting many small businesses by boycotting each major supplier one at a time and pressurising HMG imho. Perhaps one day soon.... :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure