PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    thank you all for your good wishes, it has really helped me to start to get my head around things and as i am usually a positive person, i am just looking at the fact that it could take many years to degrade so i have lots of time and i am not going to allow myself to worry, when it has not happened yet. xxx
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • westlothianlass
    Options
    Sending lots of scottish hugs BB (and if they don't work we can send some tablet or one of MG's jelly baby trees to try and make you feel better :)).

I popped into Edinburgh last night and was soaked down to my underwear after being caught in torrential rain only to drive home to my find my DH sunning himself in the garden with not a drop of rain to be found !! (aach well it gave me an excuse to be in my PJ's early :rotfl:).

WLL x
    Moving towards a life that is more relaxed and kinder to the environment (embracing my inner hippy:D) .:j
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got one yesterday for a fiver in asda cos the case damaged the fiver saved will pay for some canisters I have a question

Wheres the safest place to store them?
    and can i use it in the kitchen if ive got the window open t ia

Oh, that was lucky. Well done. My gas bottles are in the shed, though the stove stays in the kitchen cupboard.

Just have the window open a crack, as you don't want the flame to blow out in the wind.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    we had a massive thunderstorm with hail this afternoon just as we left the hospital, we were both soaked to the skin by the time we got back to the car :(
    had some life changing news, just been told i have myopic macular degeneration and cataracts in both eyes, but because it is early days not much can be done it is a wait and see sort of thing, pardon the pun........ i am only 55 :(
    have to go back in 9 months for another check up.
    must admit to having a little cry when we got back and i have a southern comfort in front of me
    ((((((((BB)))))))))

Oh sweetie, what a rubbish piece of news and I don't blame you for having a southern comfort. Sending you all good wishes and hoping that things progress slowly and that medical care is able to mitigate the effects.

I'm under consultant's orders to have an annual eye test as my meds could damage my sight and I would encourage everyone reading not to take your sight for granted and not to go more than 2 years maximum between tests, even if you're not a speccy like me.

An optician told me that in the space of one month he had discovered the following; a 16 y.o. girl with such high pressure in her eyes she was on the verge of going blind; she was sent straight into the hospital. And a 19 y.o. with a symptomless tumour in the back of her eye which was on the verge of penetrating her brain and becoming inoperable. She had immediate surgery and lost that eye but it saved her life.

So have your check-ups regularly, lovely peeps, and encourage your rellies and friends to have theirs, our peepers are precious.

Been horribly busy today and am pooped so will have supper, cruise the interwebulator a bit and then chill with a DVD.

:D I have YS chipolata sausages; they're almost too cute to eat. Well, almost, cute ain't gonna save them because I is a hungry person.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought fellow kitty lovers might be interested in this:

http://news.sky.com/story/1261690/hero-cat-saves-boy-from-dog-attack

I'm a little mystified by the mother's comments though:
    "We aren't upset with our neighbors, we're just thankful our son wasn't injured more.

I'd be upset with a neighbour that had a dog like that.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Field mushrooms are the ones with pinkish stems, aren't they? And if in doubt, crush the stem, and if there's a yellowish fluid - don't.

You know that, I know that, many people on this thread know it, but the point was that MOST people could recognise a field mushroom and I'm pretty sure that's wrong...

(They also smell funny if you cook them)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    anika wrote: »
    Yes that's the one, however, no price yet, but asda are doing it for a tenner. Maybe they will do it for less ie. 9.99 :rotfl:

A pretty much identical one can be had from B&M Bargains, for £8-99.

The gas canisters at B&M Bargains (and the identically priced ones at £stretcher), are the cheapest I've found, at £3-99 for 4.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Field mushrooms are the ones with pinkish stems, aren't they?

Actually no.

The stem is white, smooth, with a single, barely detectable ring about half way down.

The gills are pink to start with, becoming brown with maturity.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Sending lots of scottish hugs BB (and if they don't work we can send some tablet or one of MG's jelly baby trees to try and make you feel better :)).

I popped into Edinburgh last night and was soaked down to my underwear after being caught in torrential rain only to drive home to my find my DH sunning himself in the garden with not a drop of rain to be found !! (aach well it gave me an excuse to be in my PJ's early :rotfl:).

WLL x

:rotfl::rotfl:bless you but i am diabetic :rotfl::rotfl:
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Where's the safest place to store them?

Depends.

Do you have a brick pantry/coal house?

If not, maybe a garden shed or garage, but if so probably as well to put them into clip lock containers, to stop them going rusty.
    and can I use it in the kitchen if I've got the window open

I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills