PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best-value kitchen rolls

Options
I'm working like mad to cut down my shopping bills each month and am not doing too badly so far. I've taken the advice of several people to buy the 'value' brand of supermarket foodstuff where possible instead of their regular 'own brand' and quite honestly no-one has noticed the difference! Or they haven't said anything if they have.

But one thing I can't give up is kitchen roll. I use newspaper scrunched up for wiping out yukky pans etc. and make do with other things for various jobs but still need kitchen roll for blotting and placing fried food on to remove the fat before serving, and for a few other things too.

I've never bought the really expensive brands but find some of the cheapo ones are as good as useless. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good value-for-money one please?

I get such inspiration from these boards. They've really changed my life!

Comments

• poochel
    poochel Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    I find that the Lidl kitchen rolls are excellent, very strong and better than the sainsburys ones that we used to get. Cheap too!

Hope that helps
  • Baby_A
    Baby_A Posts: 628 Forumite
    Options
    I buy the cheap ones from Asda, about 73p or 76p for 4 and find they do the job great!
    :j BABY A :j
  • Moonbeam
    Moonbeam Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Asda's own brand are great, but I tend to buy based on what special offer is available...do tend to find though that the more expensive brands like Bounty do tend to last longer - I think it's because I only use one sheet at a time with theirs, rather than a handfull with the cheaper brands....Can be one of those situations where spending a bit more actually works out as a saving.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    I go through tons of kitchen roll as I'm having work done on my house, and feel like I've forever cleaning up the mess of the builders. I buy Asda's own, and I honestly can't tell you how much it costs, but I know it's under £1, it sounds as if you use as much as I do, in which case stick to supermarket's value stuff, I always think unless you have it out on display in your kitchen it's not worth spending a fortune on!
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]. :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    as well as some advice on the best value kitchen paper, I'm sure that here you will be given lots of alternatives too :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always used to have kitchen roll, but DH used it like it was going out of fashion .... now I have a load of flannels in the kitchen which do the trick for mopping up, wiping out etc.

Flannels I bought a load dirt cheap from Ikea, and recently I just chopped up a couple of old baby towels which we had lurking around.

Does the trick for us :)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • lady_isa
    lady_isa Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    i buy a giant roll from Morrisons at around £2.40 and it lasts for ages.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One instance where only kitchen roll will do is cat hack and furballs!!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    poochel i second that lidl kitchen rolls are brill much better than bounty the ones i use are dessa which contain 4 rolls for 1.59 but are really strong and the best towels i have tried.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure