Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zaxdog wrote: »
    she wants to go to a function, to get gussied up

I've never heard of that zaxdog, what is gussied.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I watched the first programme and it puzzled me about the lady who was found a new flat by Gloria Hunniford.

Apparently the lady in question was getting housing benefit for where she lived and Gloria Hunniford just assumed that the difference in Rent would mean the lady kept the extra Housing benefit. Surely the housing benefit would be adjusted accordingly so if the new rent was cheaper than she wouldn't get as much benefit.

Also, the lady had £3 a day to live on , after debts, but didn't go into detail about this.

Just a thought Gloria - when you were in the Supermarket you out to have invested in a needle and thread. Your coat was dragging along the floor like a sweeping brush.

Have yet to watch the second one but my heart went out to the lady caring for her husband and totally exhausted. Hope she gets the holiday she needs.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Although it was mentioned in passing that the 62 year old with the empty fridge had debts it was rather passed over and many people would be left thinking that this was normal. She would actually have £142 per week to live on and, even allowing that she was topping up her rent by £15/20 per week, a very large proportion of her income must have been going on debt repayments for her to have such a small amount left for food. I was surprised that GH didn't tackle that aspect of her life rather than getting her to move.

I was very disappointed with John Simpson's involvement in this. His tears and comments were used regularly to promote the programme so it was rather disconcerting to find that actually his tears were for himself rather than for the elderly person he was with!

I haven't watched the second programme yet but hope to see it today, depending on how long the tennis goes on for.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    moonpenny wrote: »
    Apparently the lady in question was getting housing benefit for where she lived and Gloria Hunniford just assumed that the difference in Rent would mean the lady kept the extra Housing benefit. Surely the housing benefit would be adjusted accordingly so if the new rent was cheaper than she wouldn't get as much benefit.

As she was in privately rented accommodation she would only be receiving LHA (HB) for a 1 bed flat and would have needed to top this up for the house she was living in. By moving to a smaller place, she wouldn't need to pay this extra and would, therefore, have the extra £74 to spend on herself.
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Hi Jackie:hello:
    The bit that really upset me was the couple in the first episode, where he had suffered a stroke and she was exhausted looking after him:(
    (

my husband had a stroke at 23 (i was 26) and that was stressful/exhausting enough at my age, i couldn't imagine how hard that couple were finding it
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I'm nearly old, can i have a cupcake ?

Please will NOBODY bring me any cupcakes (if by cupcakes you mean iced fairy-cakes). I wouldn't eat them and would have to refuse and risk giving offence. Far better find out what people want/what kind of habits they have than turn up with something at the door, no matter how kindly meant.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 July 2012 at 2:25PM
    Options
    The people the TV producers pick are not picked at random and the presenters do not just arrive totally unnanounced. So I would not read too much into a lot of apparently puzzling aspects of the show.

Oh and the the celebrities have to be there just to make us watch. Afterall the public are fairly thick and will not want to watch a programme without celebrities. Well that is what it seems makers of TV programmes think anyway.

Full marks for the subject. No marks for the just-another-celebrity-show treatment.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my husband had a stroke at 23 (i was 26) and that was stressful/exhausting enough at my age, i couldn't imagine how hard that couple were finding it

Awww that must've been awful for you both hun xx:A
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    62 isn't old - I am still working full time and a lot of my colleagues will be working until 67, 68 or beyond.

I too (61) have thought about getting rid of stuff, downsizing etc. I am not sure I would want to join a retirement village - I am not that sociable and am quite comfortable with my own company.

I do think that my decision to start to rid myself of 'stuff' which my children may not want is a GOOD decision - I will give children the opportunity to 'be given' before it goes for sale/charity.

I have been thinking about downsizing too but the difficulty is that the house I have has a view to die for over a (man-made) lake with inherent wildlife but within 10 minutes of city centre.

Very difficult - I can sooooo see why people leave it so long to do what is 'sensible'.

As to care - CONUNDRUM. Feel if I have Alzheimer's I won't really care - or remember - what the care home is like. I really, really like the proposed idea of paying a one-off lump sum such as £30k to insure againt care.

I want at least some of my saving to go to my children - council tennants are able to pass on their tenancy so why can't I pass on my home?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options

I want at least some of my saving to go to my children - council tennants are able to pass on their tenancy so why can't I pass on my home?

Council tenancies are only passed on if the other person is actually living in the house. You can't just leave the tenancy to someone.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport