PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What Value things have you tried and liked?

Comments

• Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A lot of Value products are getting too expensive now, especially kitchen roll and loo roll...
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • i am heading more and more to Aldi for fruit and veg... I am doing Slimming World and boy can I get through fruit and veg these days...
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    i am heading more and more to Aldi for fruit and veg... I am doing Slimming World and boy can I get through fruit and veg these days...

I find the Aldi fruit and veg fresher and MUCH cheaper than my local market! 39p for celery! I bought a few and have a few bags of them now chopped up in freezer waiting to go into stews!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    another vote for value biccys here, value custard creams are lovely

my hubby informed me that lidl garlic bread isn't as nice as value then he told me the 3 for £1 fancier tesc ones we're as nice either, he also told me tesco value pizza tastes like the pizza shop (with added cheese and ground pepper)

value wheatbix is too compact so it doesn't absorb milk aswell and isn't as nice, but there still ok, value peanut butter is yummy, we use value marge for baking

my kids love value tom soup (me and hubby aren't a fan of any tinned soup) and value rice pudding with value tonned pineapple

i'm a big fan of value foods, can't wait til i have an asda and i can start trying basic products
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    freyasmum wrote: »
    Thing is, both Lidl and Aldi are German supermarkets and the German's don't tolerate rubbish so of course they're gonna be decent.

It's just that a lot of people who point blank refuse are snobby - and that's their own dumb luck. My exes parents, for example: his dad point blank refused to even have a walk around Lidl far less buy his beer there (which was exactly the same brand, but half the price) in case they'd done something to it to make it cheaper!? :rotfl:

Perhaps it will change with the Aldi/Lidl scenario. Afterall, didn't people used to look down on those who shopped in Tesco not THAT long ago?

I tend to be a sainsbury shopper but if I'm passing Lidl or Aldi, I'll wander in for a look - it's a bit too far to be a regular shop for me now.

There are some things that are perfectly fine as own brand - tinned tomatoes come to mind. The cirio tomatoes that I had last were almost like tomato puree and, while they're lovely and tasty, I had to use three tins rather than two of basics - which are a LOT thinner. I know that other people prefer brands specifically for that reason though.

By now, I've pretty much worked out what I like that is basics and what I don't - washing up liquid (fairy), toilet paper (rather like Nicky), tinned sweetcorn (I buy green giant on offer!) so I pick and choose.

The best value digestives used to be from Somerfield btw :)

Someone on the forum recommended Lidl's Freshona Sweetcorn. My daughter and i both think it's the best, she eats it straight from the tin, it never gets to the plate ! I like Lidl's square Jaffa Cake type biscuits too. At Tesco i buy their Value Oats for porridge, they're lovely and if you don't worry too much about where your eggs come from, the value ones at 69p for half a dozen are perfectly fine.
    Beans, for me, has to be Branston, but i stocked up when they were on offer at Lidl some time ago. Same with tinned chopped tomatoes, i found the Tesco own brand (not value ones) were the best.
    I decided that this will be the year i will cut my shopping bill so i'm interested in everyones opinions on Value Stuff, will definately be trying the Value Digestives soon ! :)
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Well,I', m at present doing a compare between Asda's value whisky & Bells whisky..at the moment is neck n neck bur but I'll let you know more tiommoroew..
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Well,I', m at present doing a compare between Asda's value whisky & Bells whisky..at the moment is neck n neck bur but I'll let you know more tiommoroew..

Obviously you have to check them right to the bottom, just in case... :p
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • Majority of my cupboards have value products in. I was brung up with them so I find that branded products are generally too rich/sweet etc for my taste. It keeps my budget low and my sons tummy full and that's all that matters to me.

I think it's a case of trying things and seeing what you like. If people sniff at them then it's their own choice, all the better for me and others who do like them :)
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Not sure about value brands, but the lidl florays tissues/loo rolls are brilliant and their jam is under a £1 a jar is the nicest ever, full of fruit and not too sweet, I go in specially to get it, also the cheese/ham is very good.
    I get value apple/orange juice from Mr.M for my son and he hasn't complained yet, and they did a lovely version of lucozade for £1 for 4, but haven't had it for ages.
    xx
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Spike,

I buy value when I can. I find tinned tomatoes, butter, flour and other basics are just as good as branded. Tesco jaffa cakes are fabulous!

We have an existing thread that may give you more ideas of what's worth buying:

What Value things have you tried and liked?

I'll add this thread to that one later to keep the recommendations together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport