my non-mortgage mortgage free journey

Options

Comments

• Baking_Mad
    Options
    Hi quintwins,

I've been reading your thread with much interest and admire your determination! Well done on all your savings so far.

We are in a way in a similar situation but for other reasons.

We did previously build our own house which we subsequently sold for a profit in order to find cheap plot to build again. Whilst waiting for the right plot to come up we made a mistake of wrongly investing our money and lost it all.:eek: I won't bore you with the details, but I have to say it was awful, it's now been a few years and I'm still coming to terms with the loss.

However, we are now happier than we've ever been. We rent a gorgeous cottage in the country at a reasonable rate, try and live simple life and enjoy every day.

We'd love to build again one day, however, it's highly unlikely we will ever be able to afford a mortgage again. You see, my husband is quite a bit older than me and he is currently the only bread winner as I stay at home looking after kids. Any mortgage company will only base the mortgage term on the age of the oldest applicant making our mortgage term before retirement date pretty short and, therefore, making monthly repayments sky high.

So, the only way for us to ever achieve our dream is to save.......

I was wondering what your long term plan is? I know you are currently saving for a plot, are you planning to fund the build yourself as well? Or will you be trying to obtain the mortgage once you buy the plot?

I'll be continuing to follow your thread with interest. Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 January 2013 at 1:31PM
    Options
    Baking_Mad wrote: »
    Hi quintwins,

I've been reading your thread with much interest and admire your determination! Well done on all your savings so far.

We are in a way in a similar situation but for other reasons.

We did previously build our own house which we subsequently sold for a profit in order to find cheap plot to build again. Whilst waiting for the right plot to come up we made a mistake of wrongly investing our money and lost it all.:eek: I won't bore you with the details, but I have to say it was awful, it's now been a few years and I'm still coming to terms with the loss.

However, we are now happier than we've ever been. We rent a gorgeous cottage in the country at a reasonable rate, try and live simple life and enjoy every day.

We'd love to build again one day, however, it's highly unlikely we will ever be able to afford a mortgage again. You see, my husband is quite a bit older than me and he is currently the only bread winner as I stay at home looking after kids. Any mortgage company will only base the mortgage term on the age of the oldest applicant making our mortgage term before retirement date pretty short and, therefore, making monthly repayments sky high.

So, the only way for us to ever achieve our dream is to save.......

I was wondering what your long term plan is? I know you are currently saving for a plot, are you planning to fund the build yourself as well? Or will you be trying to obtain the mortgage once you buy the plot?

I'll be continuing to follow your thread with interest. Good luck and keep up the great work!

Wow how awful for you to lose everything you worked so hard for but well done on picking yourself up again.

We're hoping to fund the build ourselves, we know alot of people in the building trade so can get good mates rates ect and the rest is just budgetting, but aswell as that we are both completely against mortgages as you end up paying nearly double back-why should we line the banks pocket?, so our plan is to fund it as we go along, we can save £1500 a month if we really push ourselves so thats the plan, and do one thing at a time. We may get a very big cash injection from inheritience however it's not our interitence it's the inlaws they've just always said when it comes threw they will help us out with building work (they plan to give all there kids a set amount to be fair) but we aren't relying on this as after all it's not our money even when they get it it's completely up to them how they spend it.

I'm glad you like my dairy things are going to get more interesting and tighter as this year goes on :) I don't think i could do this twice tho, i plan to never sell, once were in it's time to start saving for holidays and memories for the kids.

It's freezing today i've given in and lit the fire, we're only just out of bed it was that cold and my chests sore :( it will clear up as i warm up i'm sure.

Lots more cleaning to do today i'm not getting as much done as i'd like :(

Food today well it's abit late for breakfast so the kids can have some fruit, lunch i sme 10p cheese and onion rolls i got reduced these are yummy there from asda and so much nicer than the tesco ones i've also got reduced before, dinner is mash mixed veg ad chicken breast in cheese sauce, i also got these for 10p :) we'll need 2 packs for the 5 of us.

I'm working tonight and then off to asda afterwards to only get whats on my list and some reduced bread for the ducks.

I changed hubbys mobile from o2 to tesco and saves us £23.50 a month, and we canceled our 3g sim for the ipad as it was rubbish and we didn't need it so another £7.50 saved :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Baking_Mad
    Options
    Wow, it sounds so exciting. I know it'll be a long road but I'm sure you will get there in the end.

We've got one loan to clear which finishes in June and then we can start thinking about saving more as well. In the meantime I'll be lurking on here reading about your progress

Good luck :D
  • quintwins
    Options
    Wow, it sounds so exciting. I know it'll be a long road but I'm sure you will get there in the end.

We've got one loan to clear which finishes in June and then we can start thinking about saving more as well. In the meantime I'll be lurking on here reading about your progress

Good luck :D

Good luck i hope i don't bore you away with my ramblings :rotfl:

How expensive is bowling!!! £27 so over my entertainment budget already and only the 5th, the rest of the monthe weekends will be spent on walks and the park by the looks of it.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    Ok so i got thre this week only spending £14.02 on food :) so next week i'm setting a £10 budget but £4 is going to school for snack money so £6, i'll need milk, fruit, toilet roll and bread later in the week and a few bits to bulk out the meal plan.

Meal plan looks like this

mon
    b-porridge
    l-beans on toast
    d-chicken casarole with mash

tue
    b-cornflakes
    l-tinned spag bol
    d-sheperds pie

wed
    b-toast and fruit
    l-pate sandwichs
    d-spag bol

thur
    b-cornflakes
    l-pasta
    d-chilli

fri
    b-toast and fruit
    l-pizza
    d-fish and chips

sat
    b-beans on toast with bacon
    l-prob too full after big breakfast
    d-either free dinner or pasta bake

sun
    b-toast
    l-dinner at inlaws
    d-soup

To do list

-surverys every day
    -go to skip
    -get house sorted out after xmas now kids are back to school
    -set up shop and scan and acually do it
    -take clothes to cash for clothes
    -list 3 items on ebay
    -lodge pay into the bank and transfer to savings
    -go to the park if it's dry
    -take dogs and kids for a walk on sat weather it's dry or not
    -go collect cheap paint bought and paid for in home bargains before xmas
    -don't spend a single penny i don't have to
    -pay rent
    _ don't switch my computer on in the mornings until all my cleanings done or i'll never get up again!!!
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Baking_Mad
    Baking_Mad Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Love the last thing on your to do list! Must try and stay away from computer as well! I'm finding it even harder with the iPad, it's soooooo hard to put it down!
  • quintwins
    Options
    Love the last thing on your to do list! Must try and stay away from computer as well! I'm finding it even harder with the iPad, it's soooooo hard to put it down!

Really i wouldn't know i don't get my ipad til the kids are in bed :rotfl: they take turns pretty much all day and when i say you've played to much they sneak off to play it lol, my in laws are talking about buying them a kindle fire between them for xmas next year i'm dead set against it if they have any more acess to technology there eyes will go square :rotfl: saying that my hubby got all that stuff and he's really really good with computers now it's one of the main things we disagree on.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    Well it's a monday so £159 went to the savings, making my total £7002.36, but i wanted £7,000 for 2012 to make counting my £18k for 2013 easier, so really only £2.36 saved this year lol, still waiting on £360 pay for hubby, i'm not going to town to lodge my cheque today it's far too wet and i have far too much to do.

So far today i have

de-bobbled ds's bed- seriously how does he do this the matresses are all from the same place and the same age and the beddings the same, but he manages to cover him matress in bobbles

striped and made up all 3 kids beds

made banana porridge for the kids

took the kids to school and got nursery reg forms

folded all the washed clothes an did all the ironing

put dinner in the slowcooker

made pancakes from scratch

loaded and put on the dishwasher

did 3 loads of washing

played a game of conect 4 with youngest

i'm so glad to the kids are back so i can acually get stuff done :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    Been to asda and spent £1.32, i went for reduced milk they didn't have any so i didn't buy any incase they have some on wed or thur i can make do until then, i got 15 bananas for 23p and a punnet of grapes for £1.09, we can get 6 kid sized portions of fruit from the grapes and well 15 portions for the bananas so it works out at less than 7p per portion of fruit :) so thats fruit sorted for the rest of the week.

Only £4.68 to do me the rest of the week but so far i havent went off list :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    HI all off to homebargains in abit to collect some paint, i'll have a look for some squash but other than that trying to spend very little.

Will go to the skip aswell.

I forgot hubbys away shooting on sat so no big walk with the dogs :( he'll be up first thing and not back til 3 when he'll be wrecked, i can't drive with the trailer (physicially or legally) so can't go on my own.

Mighty adjust my meal plan slightly for sat and do a fake at home happymeal if i can find some fishfingers in the freezer, or maybe pizza and garlic bread cause i know i def have that.

Hope your all doing well, i'm really tired i didn't sleep well couldn't switch my brain off then managed to sleep in, not a great start to the week!!
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family