my non-mortgage mortgage free journey

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    hi all i was replying to a thread in old sytle and i decided it could be interesting to cost my meals for a week, at the prices i've acually paid so thats what this posts for, i'll put the whole week here until next thur

older kids get snack in school which is usually fruit, milk and crackers/toast it's free this week but nect week it's 40p each per day.

Waste- threw out 3 doughnuts as they were left open 19p

thur
    b- cossiants 11p, pancakes 13p, bananas 30p, plum 20p, 10p butter
    l- scotch egg 6p (youngest eat b over the morning and didn't wnat anything)
    d-pork, 80p, celery 6p, carrots 15p, mushrooms 5p, spuds 30p,gravy 10p cabbage 8p, custard 6p
    s-muffin 9p 3 doughnuts 19p 2 x crisps 34p

free food-red and white currants from garden, crackers and cheese from school, 3 bananas and 2 plums at inlaws house

so far i'm at £3.12 or 62p per person

fri
    b-cossiant 11p, pancakes (rest of yesterdays so 0p)
    l-tongue and cheese toasties, bread 13p, tongue 2p, cheese 12p, butter 10p, crisps 15p
    d- baps 9p, burgers 36p, cheese 16p, chips 15p (kids last of frozen bag) hm chips for me 30p, 1/3 jar of curry sauce 8p
    s-3 choccy biccys 6p, plum 10p apple 17p

total today £2.10 or 52p per person (only 4 of us today) not bad considering the kids had good quailty finest burgers and i still fed us all for the whole day for less than the price of a happymeal, i was fancying a chinese hence the change of plan and curry sauce.

Slept in on sat so only had rice crispies, 40p and an apple 17p, then we had dinner at inlaws so free chinese

Slept in on sun aswell (still not feeling great) rice crispies again 40p and free sunday dinner at inlaws,
    dinner will be tongue sandwichs for the kids bread 20p, tongue 4p, butter 5p, crackers 2p. Me and hubby had pies 72p, chips 30p and gravy 5p
    snacks, hubby had 2 snickers so 50p

sun total £2.28 or 45p per person

mon
    b-6 yogurts 39p, 3 slices of toast 9p, cornflakes for me 20p
    l-bakes taties 20p,curry 8p, cheese 9p, butter 10p
    d-meatballs 70p, mash 80p, peas and sweetcorn 20p, gravy 10p
    s-choc muffin 9p

free food- red and white currants from the garden and school dinner.
    mon total £3.04

tue
    b-jam sandwichs, bread 20p, butter 5p, jam free, rice crispies 20p, tinned oranges 25p
    l-beans on toast/cheese and bean toasty, 3 slices of bread 9p, half a tin of beans 15p, butter 5p, cheese 7p
    d-pork chops 18p, roasties 30p, mash 30p, yorkshires 25p,mixed veg 20p
    s-crisps x2 33p, snickers 25p

tue total £2.87 per person 57p

wed
    b-toast x 3 9p, yogurt 16p
    l-potnoodle 20p (af)
    d-dinner at inlaws
    s-plum 15p, special k mini bites 5p (af) half bag of tooty fruities 33p, yogurts 50p

total £1.48 per person 29p

thur
    b-coco pops x3 40p, handful of grapes 10p, banana 13p
    l- cheese sandwich 13p, yogurt 7p, special k 5p, apple 12p, egg 8p toast 6p, butter 5p
    d-lasagne 76p, garlic bread 74p, chips 20p

total £2.89 per person 57p

This is an old post where i costed my meals for a week and fed us for a whole week on £18.34, 2 meals came from the inlaws tho but still if we added another £3 because usually only 1 meal comes from them it's still pretty decent. I might do this again after xmas and see how i go.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thankyou for showing all that...makes you realise what you can do....i am going to work on my budget for next year....do you use much milk ? we seem to be spending a bit on that at the moment...i have quite latge stocks in so am hoping to save a bit using them up

thankyou for sharing...merry christmas
    onwards and upwards
  • quintwins
    Options
    thankyou for showing all that...makes you realise what you can do....i am going to work on my budget for next year....do you use much milk ? we seem to be spending a bit on that at the moment...i have quite latge stocks in so am hoping to save a bit using them up

thankyou for sharing...merry christmas

Yeah we do go threw alot of milk, but the kids get milk twice in school, my budget includes 4 litres of full price milk, but i've been getting it for around 15p a litre in asda lately so if that lasts i might buy more :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    Was in asda (and tesco) last night collecting a few last min xmas pressies, while there i spent 80p, 10p on pancakes, 10p on 4 hotdog rolls, 10p on crispy baps, 10p of a loaf of bread, 20p on 2 bags of carrot and swede, 20p on 2 bags of carrot batons.

Kids also spent £25 on pressies for me and oh when they were shopping with the inlaws but they got free mcd's while out cause they love to spoil them.

Under our tree is looking pretty full considering it's been a lower than normal budget xmas.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    Hello everyone hope you had a lovely xmas, i broke the £6k barrier on xmas eve :) my savings now sit at £6,065, i'm aiming to save £20k next year i'm going to shift some money about to get my savings up to £7k by the next year so it's easier to keep track on next years savings when it's not an odd number, last hubbys last weeks pay, this weeks pay my pay and the standing order should just about do that.

Kids got loads i don't know how it happens every year when we all did genuinely cut back, i got loads aswell, lots of smellies, and my mil bought me some oven to table dishes, tea towels, socks jammies, makeup, a bag of smellies which she does every year she gets me what i acually use so i have a complete number 7 skincare set which will last the year, a sponge, some deodorant, a hair brush, cotton wool and herbal essence shampoo, conditioner and hair mask :) her mum did it for her when she was a little girl and it really is a lovely unique thing for her to do, she also got me a lovely sewing box :) and 2 pairs of jammies a dressing gown and slippers.

kids got loads of clothes so there pretty much sorted, i just need shoes for the youngest (or 2 find the one he's misplaced)

I'm not doing a meal plan for this week because i don't know where i'll be on what days but i'll be eating out of the freezer til teh new year atleast.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    Hi all just checking in, I'm seriously ill I'm afraid I've been bed bound for days, been having a nice nosey on here (god bless the ipad because my laptop battery's completely dead and to think I said I didn't want one to start with its def a sick girls best friend) and on some blogs for doody ideas so far I haven't learnt much new :rotfl:

Wasting money like its going out of fashion on takeaway, bottled drinks for me- yes I really am that ill, yogurts ect I actually don't care we still have the cash from the last puppy so dipping into it rather than our bank, btw all puppies are doing fab in there new homes we have all the new owners on facebook.

Err that's about it hope you all had a great Xmas and a lively new year.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hope you are feeling better very soon...good news about the puppies..what breed are they ?
    onwards and upwards
  • quintwins
    Options
    hope you are feeling better very soon...good news about the puppies..what breed are they ?

c o c k e r spaniels (cause i just know mse will * it of i type it) they were lovely we had a litter when we were getting married and they were nice and our inlaws have had some but nothing like this, the stud dog was my hubbys uncles dog so we have decided once we build (or maybe even before as we'll need kennels before we're finished if we live on site) we'll breed the 2 dogs again, it was very hard getting rid of them all usually when theres a litter we keep one or some one from the family does.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    edited 31 December 2012 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Ok slight change here :( got a much less than expected tax credits yesterday then the letter arrived today, basicially until april they are paying me £70 a week less, come jan they are paying me £30 a week less even tho the only chnage was earning £80 a month so talk about being out of pocket, i'm going to stick at it tho as fingers crossed my youngest starts nursery in sep and i can start looking for something else it will be good to have a reference.

So i've had a look at the budget and looks like i will only be able to save £17,000 next year it's still a huge amount for such a small income so i'm happy enough, but i really don't understand tax credits sometimes.

I'm feeling much better my throats not as bad and only 1 ear is sore compared to both, altho it is still very sore, heading to boots to collect the rest of my painkillers then asda for some bread milk and fruit.

I'm starting my jan budget today so first spend is 30p on 3 packs of 40 cards from sports direct, hubbys away to the tool shop so i'm sure there'll be more lol
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    edited 31 December 2012 at 7:46PM
    Options
    Going to start costing my meals for the week starting today n this post :)

mon-remeber i'm sick
    b-kids slept in so yogurt 45p
    l- 3 x 10p sandwichs, 10p chicken satay, 3 oranges 6p
    d-free gammon, not a regular thing mil bought me it when she got her turkey, kids had sandwichs because they were tired and not that hungry so 10p for the bread and butter, and the rest of the chicken satay 10p, hubby had 2 sandwichs so 20p

total today= £1.31
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills