No buying unecessray toiletries in July

kiplingmonkey
kiplingmonkey Posts: 385 Forumite
First Post
edited 30 June 2012 at 7:13PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
AND HERE WE GO AGAIN FOR ANOTHER MONTH! As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months! A big THANK YOU to Sunshineyday for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are locked in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010.

Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account.
Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies;

Why not add the challenge to your sig as a reminder?

We have a "Swaps Group" on Facebook when you can swap good condition items with other like-minded addicts. PM Sarah*a or xoxo or Trudij for more info on joining.

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagently to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!)

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on ebay
Unsuitable products can be used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc)

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts)

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity as mentioned earlier.

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Bodyshop, the supermarket toiletries aisles, grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there willl always be another deal!*

*Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the rest of the year, and remember to keep popping in for inspiration and support, and to report your UU's and IN's.

Especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy and to keep your stash lists updated ;)

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so dont be scared !!) oh - and we are nosey!!|

Useful abbreviations!

WIBA? - Will I Buy Again?
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning, lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP -Pink Rose Candle Philosophy. From Erma Bombeck who said, 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculptured like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA- for an out that was given away rather than binned or UU, to charity, as a present, or "just because!".

TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage.

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely, fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations You are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to erm, me (:o) who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - pm the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge, good luck ladies xx

1.mineallmine - graduated with honours March 2011
2.Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours Jun 2012

Previous threads:

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review - here are the links for the past few months challenge threads:
March: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3823189
February:
January: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3702779
December: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3643977
November: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3583027
October: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3520791
September: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3457221
August: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3392750
July: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3330436
June: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3264270
May: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3201982
June: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3991985

Comments

• evilsquid1603
    evilsquid1603 Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    thanks for starting the thread again Kiplingmonkey!

i'm def in again, hoping i can stick to amarya and just the REN kit from RED thats out soon if i can find one :o
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kiplingmonkey - could you add me to the list of graduates please?

I'm down to my last spritz of my daytime perfume, DKNY Be Delicious. Don't know whether to re-purchase it or go for something different?
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • **tracey**
    **tracey** Posts: 168 Forumite
    I am in for another month. Hoping to make a real dent in my S&G stash
    VSP member #25
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 June 2012 at 5:58PM
    I will definitely be in for July I still have a long way to go, but I am improving. Stash has reduced slightly in June and quality of products in stash has improved and feel I'm a lot closer to finding my HG items. I will write a list of my targeted outs later today/in the morning. I'm hoping July will be a better month. Hoping for only ins in July to be my Amarya box. Again i won't be counting toothpaste, full size deodorant or bar soap, as don't tend to have a problem with these items.

Evilsquid - what is this ren kit from red?

Ruby eskimo - congratulations on graduating

Kiplingmonkey - Thank you for starting the thread this month
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    am def in for july if only to chat to you lovely ladies:)
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kiplingmonkey - could you add me to the list of graduates please?

I'm down to my last spritz of my daytime perfume, DKNY Be Delicious. Don't know whether to re-purchase it or go for something different?

Whilst in Boots today I picked up their mag and saw an ad for the new DKNY fragrances called London, NYC and another I can't remember. I love the Golden Delicious fragrance myself.

I'm back but can't stand the thought of another cold turkey month even though I know I still have to save my cash. I'm graduating in a few areas of the stash now with the exception of the shower gel stockpile. Have been getting through the body lotions/body butters to the extent that I don't have any sweet smelling ones left and am looking to purchase something from TBS tomorrow at Cheshire Oaks. Other than that, I don't really NEED anything.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • scrappie_2
    scrappie_2 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello Ladies - I'm in again for the month!

Kiplingmonkey - thanks for starting the new thread.

Willowbee - glad you had a lovely birthday, hope that you are feeling well today.

Dolly - that's a fab beauty gift, I'm sure the young lady will love it!

Rosemary - sending you many many hugs........ it's total pants when life is like that. Hope you have managed to do something today that made you smile.

Ruby-eskimo - :j:j:j:j:j:jThat's fab news!

I'm getting overexcited about my 'summer sun swap'. I really need to get a life:D Spent yeasterday having a look to see what I can add to the parcle and looking for a box to put it all in. Still not found one, so will need to keep my eyes open.

Life is plodding along here ....... mum goes in for her second biopsy on Monday morning. Then it's a 2 wk wait for results, followed (quite quickly we're told) by surgery. So, by the end of July, it should be a case of surgery done and radiotherapy here we come.

I have an 'in' - the last Elemis TSV, I had it on waitlist and it came this morning. I'm in two minds whether to keep it or not. I love PCMC, and there is a 30ml pot of that in the kit and I don't think I have any more in my stash. But, I started using a Decleor moisturiser last month which is cheaper and is working really well. If I keep the kit I could save the PCMC for Jan, when I know my skin will need more moisture and split the other bits up for gifts - a couple of friends birthdays coming up late in the year. What to do?????????

Have put some 'bits' into a bag to give away to my goddaughter at xmas. Bought her a lovely cross body bag in the sale and intend to fill it with makeup for her. So there will be a few more 'outs' when I get that all sorted.

Spent today in the garden, very late planting up of hanging baskets. I had no intention of doing them this yr, I we were expecting a hosepipe ban. But with the recent weather, that's not gonna be happening, so off I went to stack up on plants this morning. " baskets and 8 tubs (of various sizes) are now all done. The sky is now black, so it looks like they will be well wartered this evening.

Hope everyone enjoys their Saturday evening!
    Scrappie:p
    No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
    VSP #54

• moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Count me in too,

I managed to use up in June:
    MAC Fix+ Rose - WBA but I think Rose was LE
    MAC Cleanse Off Oil - WBA
    MAC Eyebrow Gel in Clear - WNBA - nothing wrong with it but cheap clear mascara does the same job.
    MAC Metal X Cream Shadow in Goldspice - had this forreevvveerr and it was LE. WNBA the formula creased on the eye something rotten.
    Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation - WBA lovely texture but so expensive :o
    Caudalie Premier Cru eye cream sample - WBA but so expensive!
    Make Up For Ever HD Foundation in 117 - WBA its my HG but I have a Lancome foundation plus some BB creams on the go.

Next month's target is to use up 2 more Mac products so I can trade the empties in for a free lipstick.
  • Kiplingmonkey - could you add me to the list of graduates please?

Fanfare - Congratulations _party_- added to the list of graduates.
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Evilsquid - what is this ren kit from red?

Red magazine the giveaway next month is a REN set - you get all 3 items, according to the mag the value is £16 (mag costs £3.90):

REN
    Vetiver v7 hand and body cream 15ml
    Hydra-calm global protection day cream 15ml
    Active 7 radiant eye gel (can't see ml size properly in the ad but presume it will be 5ml)

On sale 4th July.
  • trudij
    trudij Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Im in still (think Im only here these days for the chat and noseys too - havent yet updated the stash, but Im pretty sure Im done with everything now (ive given up on the soap mountain) Mind you - Im also very excited about my sunswap - shes lovely and I really hope she likes what Ive got her... (some is stash swap, but as theres not much if any stash left, I had to go shopping too!!!)

loving reading about everyones stuff still though - who'd have thunk after two and a half years eigh??!!! :D
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure